Options

Mellow Magic on 105.4

Comments

• Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so - which presenters are talking much more than they used to? I know foxy talks a lot on the breakfast show - but garry vincent hardly used to say anything and hannah cox/danny p hardly say anything at all!!

Paul Phear seems to be saying more. Angie Greaves is almost unstoppable but you can forgive her given her infectious happiness. Collins seems to just ramble a lot. The celeb zone on Sundays with kim Wilde and Ronan is a no-go zone :rolleyes:
  • Options
    michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Paul Phear seems to be saying more. Angie Greaves is almost unstoppable but you can forgive her given her infectious happiness. Collins seems to just ramble a lot. The celeb zone on Sundays with kim Wilde and Ronan is a no-go zone :rolleyes:

why is it a no go zone? ive never heard these shows!
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have the station been reading forums lately about opening the mic more?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't know beacuse i thoguht most people on here are against the idea of magic oepning the mic more , they just liek these long music sweeps
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magic seem to change a few thinks around every few years. Maybe they want to try out this for some feedback. They get a lot of feedback about the constant music rotation.
  • Options
    RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must admit i like hearing a bit more presenter input and it would be nice if they had someone (even if its voicetracked) overnight.

The music definately needs a bit more added to its playlist, i listen to The Coast 106 now and again and this has a bit more of a wide ranged playlist. Also its nice hearing Russell Pockett on Drivetimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose some presenters like to open up the mic, because it does get boring just sitting there not saying a word. Then you will find presenters falling over there words. They are experienced broadcasters who like openings up mics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    I suppose some presenters like to open up the mic, because it does get boring just sitting there not saying a word. Then you will find presenters falling over there words. They are experienced broadcasters who like openings up mics.

Its not the presenters job to do as they please. If I was a bus driver on a set route, would my employer allow me to drive a different direction because I was bored?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i emailed magic a little time ago - a year or two about whether they were getting someone on at night and they said magic is just right how it is then, with mellow magic part 2 - non-stop music - as it still gets healthy listening figures for it's time period - but magic AM stations have pre-rec links - but even so it's not upto much, but with the population in London you would think they could have some kind of voice overnight!!
  • Options
    boywonderboywonder Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was a CNN anchor, do I get to read the stories I want to read? Or do I get told what to read?

Doesnt matter how many years experience one may have, its not their toy set to lay with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boywonder wrote: »
    If I was a CNN anchor, do I get to read the stories I want to read? Or do I get told what to read?

Doesnt matter how many years experience one may have, its not their toy set to lay with.

I was pointing something out. You don't need to be rude.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridgieman wrote: »
    The music definately needs a bit more added to its playlist, i listen to The Coast 106 now and again and this has a bit more of a wide ranged playlist.

Yes, I expect Bauer will be desperate to emulate The Coast's 7% reach and 2% market share.
    Have the station been reading forums lately about opening the mic more?

Yeah, all major radio stations base their programming decisions on digitalspy's forums. That's why Heart is now rotating 10,000 songs and Sarah Kennedy has been fired from Radio 2. Oh no, hang on...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boywonder wrote: »

Exactly! Truly professional jocks will mould themselves to a format - and can often punch through a format and let their personality shine. They certainly don't expect a format to fit around them.
    I was pointing something out. You don't need to be rude.

:confused:

Sounded perfectly polite to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just discovered a station called Breeze broadcasting on listentobreeze.com

it's a mellow station - and seems to play a lot of songs so far that mellow magic don't!! wet wet wet sweet surrender and gerry rafferty and nightowl -
  • Options
    James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Buck wrote: »
    Totally! They won't be analysing the format, but they will appreciate lots of continuous music, or become irritated by too much speech clustered together.

Yep, and it's worth noting that all the "new kids on the block" who ended up decimating the heritage stations in their markets were very clever about where they placed their ad breaks: Magic, Heart and Galaxy.

Ad breaks, ironically, are everything. I worked at a station that had five 2-minute breaks each hour. Yes. FIVE.

FIVE switch points.

Now I'm no Richard Park but even I can tell you that the first rule is to minimise your switch-points.

And if you have a commercial load of 10 minutes an hour, then it's a no-brainer to run 3 breaks of 3:20, rather than 5 breaks of 2:00.

For this same reason I'm not bothered about an ad-break before the news. Again you only have 3 switch-points - instead of :10, :20, :30, :40 and :50 and the news it's now :20, :40 and :57/news.

The trade-off is a handbrake on the music for 6+ minutes on the TOTH, but as it's all one long "non-music" point, I don't think listeners will be bothered as the music will only stop 3 times per hour.
  • Options
    James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Buck wrote: »
    Exactly! Truly professional jocks will (...) punch through a format and let their personality shine.
    See: Atlantic 252.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ad breaks, ironically, are everything. I worked at a station that had five 2-minute breaks each hour. Yes. FIVE.

Blimey, that's mental James!
    And if you have a commercial load of 10 minutes an hour, then it's a no-brainer to run 3 breaks of 3:20, rather than 5 breaks of 2:00.

Yeah, and if your minuteage is only 8-9 minutes an hour, I'd argue the case for running only TWO breaks of 4:00-4:30. Sure, they're long breaks, but there are huge benefits to having uncluttered clocks with long, uninterrupted sweeps of music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See: Atlantic 252.

Yep, and I think every group and format has at least a few superstars who can engage and entertain without needing to talk endlessly and whilst respecting a format.
  • Options
    Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has it been phased out?.

The Mellow Magic Lunchbreak is still going - but the music is hardy what Magic 105.4 used to describe as mellow.

"Standing In The Shadows Of Love" by the Four Tops isn't mellow but it had just been played.

Deary me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no - but it's a really good tune though :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin Collins - you gotta laugh at some of the stuff he does on Magic. On Friday night he gets the name of the next show wrong! Its Mellow Magic. Also he plays the wrong song out of the .30 news headlines nearly every time and has to fade it out quickly and play the correct one. Also got the start time of the breakfast show wrong. In a way its interesting to have someone as un-slick as Collins on Magic ocassionally. He can just about get away with it on drive or breakfast, but I've noticed Hannah Cox is now the full time sub for Danny P on Mellow Magic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that is very interesting, i wonder why martin is not as polished as the other jocks on there with the short links, i wonder as he likes to ramble on, and he doesnt sound very mellow either when he is talking so fast!!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i listen every night, but i find the mellow magic love letters between 12 and 1am so utterly cheesy and predictable, it almost gets to the point of making me switch to smooth for an hour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems a little problem with Voice track this evening. 20.40 Danny was announcing the news next. Then the next link trying to talk over the top of the songs. Shame the system isn't running right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems a little problem with Voice track this evening. 20.40 Danny was announcing the news next. Then the next link trying to talk over the top of the songs. Shame the system isn't running right.

Embarassing for Magic to be caught out like that. They seem to prefer doing quite a bit of voice tracking as opposed to getting another relief presenter on board.