Refering to an Italian person as "Pasta" offensive or what?!

Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Im surprised this has gone unnoticed by most of the forum. Shabby and Govan used the word "Pasta" for Mario to discuss noms. Can you imagine if that had been someone calling an Indian person "curry" or a Chinese person "Chow Mein"!:eek:

Why have these two individuals not been pulled up for what is blatant xenophobia?:mad:

Comments

• cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pasta, memba I told you yeah?
  • Robert RomarinRobert Romarin Posts: 11,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or perhaps referring to an Indian person with the word 'poppadom'?
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    someone already called someone poppadom (remember)
    look at the fuss that caused
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D:D:D:D:D ROFL.
  • 027huds027huds Posts: 12,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised Mediawatch and The Daily Mail haven't picked up on this and blown it out of all proportion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ughh! Just get on the phone to OFCOM and be do done with it!:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    was it pasta? I thought they said pesto!!:D Still, pesto, pasta both Italian.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im Italian and Im not offended, i get called it as a joke by mates... but some italians may get offended, I know some that would.
  • Caged KittyCaged Kitty Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Very very good point.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit, I couldn't for the life of me understand why Mario had been referred to as that - now I know, and boy was that rude :(
  • cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have thought Jersey Shore would be more offensive :D
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    027huds wrote: »
    I'm surprised Mediawatch and The Daily Mail haven't picked up on this and blown it out of all proportion.

I wish they would. Then BB would have to do something. :D
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh I forgot about that. But then the fact that Saint Jade Goody was actually a right bitch seems to have been airbrushed from history. I hate to speak ill of the dead, but she was always really nasty.
  • azureanneazureanne Posts: 1,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or a Geordie, flat cap + whippets??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im surprised this has gone unnoticed by most of the forum. Shabby and Govan used the word "Pasta" for Mario to discuss noms. Can you imagine if that had been someone calling an Indian person "curry" or a Chinese person "Chow Mein"!:eek:

Why have these two individuals not been pulled up for what is blatant xenophobia?:mad:

Of COURSE it's offensive. I recall somebody's :rolleyes: blood being bayed for when they referred to somebody as 'poppadum'. It hasn't gone unnonticed by the forum - there was a thread about it when it first came to light - but it seems to have gone unnoticed by both the HMs and BB :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also recall in series something or other Maxwell (Insert vomit) taking the mick out of Roberto's accent and that went by unnoticed. Of course that was before all the celeb BB stuff kicked off. :confused:
  • EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    I'd have thought Jersey Shore would be more offensive :D

... just don't mention Guido. :cool:
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was a flipping codeword, they didn't call him that!!!

tch ..... HONESTLY!!!
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    It was made so much worse by Govan patting his stomach..... "I don't have an aversion to pasta"

He creeps me out.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Devilchild wrote: »
    Of COURSE it's offensive. I recall somebody's :rolleyes: blood being bayed for when they referred to somebody as 'poppadum'. It hasn't gone unnonticed by the forum - there was a thread about it when it first came to light - but it seems to have gone unnoticed by both the HMs and BB :mad:

The appaliing treatment of Shilpa was a series of attacks on her culture though (not just the poppadum comment) That's why a bigger deal was made of it.
  • MixstarMixstar Posts: 9,290
    Forum Member

LOL, Well remembered. Hmm to be honest I hadn't thought about it like that, I did think it was a stupid code name for Mario but now it's starting to make sense. Sunshine = Sky however??? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member

It was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    it was a flipping codeword, they didn't call him that!!!

tch ..... HONESTLY!!!

They referred to him as such, what's the difference?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm all for a fair fight but all I can see at the moment are Dual Standards.

Please can someone explain -preferably PEJ, what on earth is going on. I am watching one thing but being fed another.

I can see Ben comitting a few small crimes and being allowed to be ganged up upon (in quite a horrific manner tonight) Then I see Shabby, Caoimhe, Govan and sadly now JJ being allowed to transfer all their sins to the one scapegoat. Sunshine joined in gleefully, which was disturbing. Shabby stands up high and all is well - we all know what that means and she does it continually. What the Hell has happened to fairness and morals?

Also I assume Mario did not react to the "Pasta" thing as we did not see it, but to all those who were hanging him last night, I hope you see what a decent guy he is - he could have made a huge thing of it.

A very annoyed GG x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Mario's English and has never experienced the Italian culture. I doubt he was offended by that.