Car Battery Issue (Or Not)

divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm trying to figure out the problem with our car might be. Basically, over the past couple of weeks, we've repeatedly had problems in starting the car, and have had to jump start it a few times. I assumed that the battery had run down, especially given the cold weather. So, I take the battery out and hook it up to the recharger.....................and the recharger says that the battery is fully charged. So, now I'm confused. Given that it'll start from a jump, I can't figure out what the problem is. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds to me like the battery has lost its capacity to take a charge, so it may not draw any current from the charger thereby appearing fully charged. Prob new battery time (but maybe see what other people say!)
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A short term solution is to press the clutch down when you start the engine.

I have no technical knowledge at all so have no idea why this works, but it does.....
  • Roger MoreRoger More Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have no technical knowledge at all so have no idea why this works, but it does.....
    Good heavens! I thought everyone knew that when you press the clutch pedal it squirts magic pixie dust onto the battery?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roger More wrote: »
    Good heavens! I thought everyone knew that when you press the clutch pedal it squirts magic pixie dust onto the battery?

I thought it was that but I didn't like to say ;)
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pressing the clutch pedal only makes the job of starting a bit more easy - its not going to help if there is a more serious problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roger More wrote: »

Surely it's just the snake oil lubricating the clutch plate?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    pressing the clutch pedal only makes the job of starting a bit more easy - its not going to help if there is a more serious problem.

That's why I said a 'short term solution' :)
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah, have tried that, thanks. It works (sometimes) because the starter motor doesn't have to work so hard to turn the engine over when the clutch is depressed.
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Sounds to me like the battery has lost its capacity to take a charge, so it may not draw any current from the charger thereby appearing fully charged. Prob new battery time (but maybe see what other people say!)

That's what I suspect. I might also try a different battery charger (it's a very good charger, and can put seriously messed-up batteries through various cycles to get them working properly again, but it does sometimes have an issue with absolutely dead-flat batteries).
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My battery died last week, (was in a car park and it wouldn't start the car) I just went and bought a new one, was worth it for the peace of mind compared with not knowing when the car might refuse to start again. It was 8 years old, so had had its time I think.
  • SeanHunterSeanHunter Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When the temperature drops to -10C (-16C here in Glasgow last week) even the acid in a car battery will freeze if the charge drops. Once frozen (you can tell - the sides bulge out), the battery is ruined and should NOT be recharged as it could explode. So if you don't use your car more than 1 - 2 times a week in this weather, the cold can cause the battery to go flat sooner. Once flat, it freezes, and that's it. I don't use my car often, so when I know it's going to be really cold I actually take the battery into the house.

If it turns out that the battery is OK, it could be your starter motor. Again, this is probably down to the extreme cold. We are simply not used to the kinds of problems that very low temperatures bring regarding cars etc.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SeanHunter wrote: »
    If it turns out that the battery is OK, it could be your starter motor.
    He was able to jump start it => not a starter motor problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out the problem with our car might be. Basically, over the past couple of weeks, we've repeatedly had problems in starting the car, and have had to jump start it a few times. I assumed that the battery had run down, especially given the cold weather. So, I take the battery out and hook it up to the recharger.....................and the recharger says that the battery is fully charged. So, now I'm confused. Given that it'll start from a jump, I can't figure out what the problem is. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Sound like a knackered battery to me. It can be tested, get this done and if required buy a new battery.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New battery! £40 or so. Use your local car repair shop. Keep business local.

If you park outside, they will, come out and have a look.

=======

And Sean, we moved from Aberdeen to Devon many years ago because my Mum wanted a warmer place.

Exeter was -14 deg C the other night. lol
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,447
    Forum Member
    my old battery was like that, took it out charged it - charger says it was fully charged, took it off charge did a reading and the volts had gone down so I deduced that it wasn't holding charge, bought new battery
  • kelvokelvo Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »

I'd go with the battery being knackered, it may well take a charge but won't actually have the current to start the car. The cranking current of a battery will be affected by the cold and a car engine will be harder to start in cold weather, so makes things even worse.

Go to Halfords or an auto electrician and they should be able to do a load cell test on it. Modern batteries can fail suddenly rather than gradually as they used to do, recently I went out with my MG ZT, three hours later I went out, turned the key and all the lights went out :eek: Meter on the battery 12.7v, try to start and about 7v :mad: New battery - good as gold :D
  • cazzzcazzz Posts: 12,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i had a problem a while ago, got a jump start with leads in the morning and it was dead in the afternoon. AA man came out when I was stuck with nobody to give me a jump start and he went to my boot. seems it wasnt closed properly and the light inside was on all the time draining the battery:o Check that there are no lights on inside...i had to get a new battery, and I now make sure that my boot is completely closed:D
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume you've cleaned the battery terminals............... - i.e. remove the terminals, clean the posts and the inner part of the bits you take off, lubricate with a little vaseline, then reattach.

Could also be a dodgy earth lead from your battery to the engine - if you can, remove the engine end of it and clean as above.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You don't do that anyway?
  • LittleMinx25LittleMinx25 Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sounds like your battery!

i drove to work the other day & the car was fine & it had been starting up ok all week before that ... i finished my shift, came back out & bang no power in the engine, couldnt get it started :( had to call AA out but luckily was able to get a new battery fitted & was on my way within the hr:D

amazing how quick it all can happen eh
  • kelvokelvo Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    I assume you've cleaned the battery terminals............... - i.e. remove the terminals, clean the posts and the inner part of the bits you take off, lubricate with a little vaseline, then reattach.

Could also be a dodgy earth lead from your battery to the engine - if you can, remove the engine end of it and clean as above.

possible, although if it jumps starts then you could rule this out, unless you connect the jump lead to the engine block.

Checking the lights whilst trying to start will tell, if the battery is clapped the headlights will probably go dim trying to start, a voltmeter across the battery will also drop down trying to start. A poor earth would probably not give any appreciable drop.