Will One direction crack America?

Comments

• Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they will ride out the success of this album before the two that actually sing try to get "...from One Direction" removed from their name.

I notice there was no Bieber boyband (Nu Vibe were as likeable as a bucket of stale piss) on X Factor this year and the cynic in me thinks that Simon probably forbade it in an effort to keep One Direction relevant after their sell by date.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pringle101 wrote: »
    I personally think they can. They have apparently been signed to Island Def Jam. They have L.A Reid behind them; and lets not forget he's the one who singed Bieber.

L.A Reid is about the biggest person in the industry. Funnily enough though before he signed Bieber, Lady Gaga performed for him but he thought she was too odd! He managed to salvage his reputation after that singing of Justin Bieber though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they've got to have some sort of chart success before they crack the US. With states the size of England they will have to do a great deal of touring to make much of an impact. Kind of like a trying to get an ant to paint the Ark Royal:D

Perhaps they need to think about being recognised in the charts as musicians. Whilst I'm sure the Americans may go wild for their English accents (slightly patronising to Americans when people say this) it maybe more prudent to get a hit record out there first.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never in a million years
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Nope. Even back in the boyband era, UK boybands weren't popular. BBMak, Take That, etc were just on the precipices of Amercian knowledge. Now that the boyband era is dead, what makes people think that UK boybands will even be taken seriously? The fact that groups have been voted out in the US tells you all you need to know. And besides, it's mostly a two person band, three of those people can't sing. And given how America bases its importance on vocals, I doubt they'd even make a mark.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they're off to a good start with touring with Big Time Rush early next year. I suspect a guest spot on their TV show might be a part of that package.

We'll see.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    L.A Reid is about the biggest person in the industry. Funnily enough though before he signed Bieber, Lady Gaga performed for him but he thought she was too odd! He managed to salvage his reputation after that singing of Justin Bieber though.

For the third time on this thread! LA Reid Left Island/Def Jam a while ago. He now works for Epic! LOL!
  • Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elephant in the room:-

They mimed on the show. They can't sing.

Is there REALLY a market for mime artists on live tours???
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    i seriously doubt it when they haven't even cracked the UK market yet
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Island Def Jam signed and then dropped Katy Perry as well. I'm not sure if he was CEO then though. If he was then it seems he's had as many misses as he has hits. I'm sure the X Factor won't bring those up though. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Yep, very easily! They've even got their own dolls out already!!!

http://www.onedirectiondolls.com/
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    I think simon hopes they will have success like justin bieber and be the next "big thing".

thoughts?

They really need to crack the UK.

Their latest release is not exactly showing staying power.

Mind you, unlike their peers last year, they did get a gig on Children in Need.
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    They really need to crack the UK.

Their latest release is not exactly showing staying power.

Mind you, unlike their peers last year, they did get a gig on Children in Need.

I think Matt was on as well, not sure. It would have been after midnight though, I'd switched off by then.:D

You have to understand that the 2nd single is a follow up, and released a week before the album. Rihanna is huge and her song is proving to be very popular and she's keeping eveyone, not just 1D off the top spot.

As you said the boys got the CIN gig, and 2 fantastic slots as well, it shows that even the organisers of a huge show like CIN, see them as a big deal in the UK at the moment.

As for the US, they are going about it the right way. Going on tour with Big Time Rush, who have a huge following with the teens in the States. I think it's better than just releasing a single and hoping it will do well.
    Knowing how competitive their charts are, in the states, and unlike in the UK, the charts are driven by radio airplay.

Big Time Rush, performed on the Kids Choice Awards with Snoop last year, one of the biggest events in the teen calendar. It is taken very seriously and usually attended by some of the biggest starts in hollywood. If the boys can get a performance on this, it would be a big deal.
    We'll just have to wait and see how it goes.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    Erm... NO
  • DreamingDanDreamingDan Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    String9 wrote: »
    As you said the boys got the CIN gig, and 2 fantastic slots as well, it shows that even the organisers of a huge show like CIN, see them as a big deal in the UK at the moment.
    Yes, a massive hype that will draw in viewers but looking at how it did nothing for their single sells it didn't do much for the band.

Also yes Matt was on it and he was absolutely amazing!
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, a massive hype that will draw in viewers but looking at how it did nothing for their single sells it didn't do much for the band.

Also yes Matt was on it and he was absolutely amazing!

Wasn't my point though.;) CIN gave them great slots, that was my point.
    If they don't get the number 1, there is still a lot more to look forward to and their fans are excited.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    I think simon hopes they will have success like justin bieber and be the next "big thing".

thoughts?

Nope. Never. Not on your nelly. Not even a little bit.
  • liz83liz83 Posts: 6,398
    Forum Member
    String9 wrote: »
    I think Matt was on as well, not sure. It would have been after midnight though, I'd switched off by then.:D

You have to understand that the 2nd single is a follow up, and released a week before the album. Rihanna is huge and her song is proving to be very popular and she's keeping eveyone, not just 1D off the top spot.

As for the US, they are going about it the right way. Going on tour with Big Time Rush, who have a huge following with the teens in the States. I think it's better than just releasing a single and hoping it will do well.
    Knowing how competitive their charts are, in the states, and unlike in the UK, the charts are driven by radio airplay.

Big Time Rush, performed on the Kids Choice Awards with Snoop last year, one of the biggest events in the teen calendar. It is taken very seriously and usually attended by some of the biggest starts in hollywood. If the boys can get a performance on this, it would be a big deal.
    We'll just have to wait and see how it goes.:)

I'm the opposite. I never watch these things till Ive been out for the evening and come back in again. Actually in CiN terms Matt was given an amazing slot - for his market, the best one, with people coming back home again & switching on the telly- Adele before him; Will Young, Gaga and Coldplay after, so... Horses for courses and all that.

(Was it just 1D, him, JLS and Olly from the XF stable btw?:confused:)

I would agree that the CiN people certainly know who to put where, to suit each stage of the viewing audience, and they calculated 1D was the top family/kid friendly early evening choice this year. Watching back I thought 1D did pretty well with WMYB actually ( didn't see the second one though) and I still have a huge soft spot for Niall who constantly looks like he's amazed by how wonderful every single solitary thing in the whole world actually is. Liam - what have they done to him?:eek:

Re. the single a week before an album effect on single sales - I do seem to remember pointing that out for RFYL too ...:p Im slightly surprised a fanatical-teen Nothing Else In The Whole World Matters fanbase like 1Ds is affected by something like that but I guess money may be getting tight for everyone? Will they break the States? I'd guess they have a shot (the BTR connection is savvy) and I think they can get more fans there for sure, but it's hard even for Americans to really make it big...
  • SmiirkySmiirky Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a word: No.

That actually requires having some likeability and talent.
  • AmazingAmazing Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they'll be lucky to survive a couple of years here.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't see it. Their performances really aren't that good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the past only talented British acts have made it in the US so "No".
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the past only talented British acts have made it in the US so "No".

So you saying JLS, Take That and Robbie solo aren't talented :D
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's break it down:

Liam - Great voice, good looking but moody and dull as ****.
    Harry - Great voice, good looking and a cheeky personality.
    Zain - Good looking, can't sing for shit.
    Niall - Not good looking, can sing a bit, doesn't dance, doesn't do anything, has no personality...
    Louis - Not good looking, can't sing for shit, doesn't dance, doesn't do anything, has no personality and is mentally unstable (wanted Frankie to win The X Factor)

On Harry alone, maybe the US girls will 'dig 'em. But I doubt it.

Bieber fans love Bieber and he is their No. 1. The only reason 1D are doing well over here is because of The X Factor. Without that, they wouldn't be around.
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    So you saying JLS, Take That and Robbie solo aren't talented :D

I don't think Robbie is talented.