Options

Are looks important when looking for a job?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Charles IICharles II Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christa wrote: »
    What kind of financial institution employs women solely in admin & secretarial work...?

One that must remain nameless.
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charles II wrote: »
    One that must remain nameless.

Because it doesn't exist. ;)
  • Options
    starkcontraststarkcontrast Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Are attractive people at an unfair advantage? Have you ever experienced or seen any discrimination on unattractive people?

Thoughts?
    I think that depending on the job, attractive people can have a criminally unfair advantage! :mad:
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in the middle of a selection process years ago and the interviewers spoke pretty indiscreetly they had a sweepstake on what NAMES would get through the process, so your name could be the key to success whether it sounds a positive or not so positive name. This was for a massive company that through its various guises is today a household name too.

Still I suppose 'James Worthington' sounds more like a business name than 'Hank Smellie'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    i think employers just want to know you are "presentable." film star features not a requirment usually. unless u want to be a film star ......

tip. businessmen - so probably includes businesswomen - often say they look at applicants' SHOES ...........

Why?:confused:
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would guess based on the idea that someone who keeps there shoes, clean, and shiny are likely to be hard working, and pay as much attention to detail at work.

Im not sure I buy it, but its all part of what I call the "interview uniform" that makes the whole thing totally pointless, as you just end up with candidates telling you nothing, but what you expected from them.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think yes. Sadly it's true. I applied for a job and had to put a picture in to work for Abercrombie and Fitch and got the interview and the job.... I left after 3 months as it was too looks based and ti got on my nerves.... this is just to work on a bloody till, fair if I was applying to be a model, but there's no need for it if you are on the till. I don't like the way they do that.

And yes, I suspect better looking people and taller people get more money. Sucks. I'm a 5'6 male. Hard life :(:p
  • Options
    PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    I am sure I have read somewhere that good looking people (male or female) tend to get better jobs, and earn more. So I suppose "yes".
  • Options
    Drunken ScouserDrunken Scouser Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Employers and managers conducting interviews will generally do all they can to be as objective as possible, but the unconscious mind is very powerful, so I think it'd be naive to think good-looking people don't have an advantage.
  • Options
    Drunken ScouserDrunken Scouser Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in the middle of a selection process years ago and the interviewers spoke pretty indiscreetly they had a sweepstake on what NAMES would get through the process, so your name could be the key to success whether it sounds a positive or not so positive name. This was for a massive company that through its various guises is today a household name too.

Still I suppose 'James Worthington' sounds more like a business name than 'Hank Smellie'.

I remember an experiment a few years ago wherein 'white' and 'ethnic' CVs were sent off, with pretty much identical qualifications and experience. The candidates with conspicuously 'ethnic' names were considerably less likely to be invited to an interview.

I very much doubt the employers were weeding them out deliberately, as very, very few employers still think like that. It's just like what I was saying above, unconscious prejudices...
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends if its the opposite sex interviewing or not.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Female interviewers will be tough. If they are faced with a pretty girl, they will most likely to give it to an average looking girl who has the same experience.

At airports, the women at check in always pick on everything if my Mum just goes to the desk, but when it's my Dad, they don't. I suspect the same in the interview. Just me who thinks this?
  • Options
    el1aineel1aine Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    First, I would agree that the vast majority of people aren't particularly attractive - but they think they are. Secondly, yes I sadly believe looks are important when looking for employment, important to some people. I remember interviewing someone who would have been just right for the job, but ok she wasn't stunning. She was still closing the front door as she left when one of the men shouted "you're not hiring her, she stinks". (I just hope she didn't hear that). Now, I was sitting fairly close to the lady and she did not. But sunny jim wanted a pretty pretty face to look at. They employed someone who was hardly in the job for 5 minutes when she walked out. The next pretty pretty face didn't even know what the word "work" meant, hey ho.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I remember an experiment a few years ago wherein 'white' and 'ethnic' CVs were sent off, with pretty much identical qualifications and experience. The candidates with conspicuously 'ethnic' names were considerably less likely to be invited to an interview.

I very much doubt the employers were weeding them out deliberately, as very, very few employers still think like that. It's just like what I was saying above, unconscious prejudices...

I also remember something about overweight people getting turned down for jobs even though they were qualified and capable of doing the jobs
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember years ago, I went for an interview for a sales job, there was a young guy interviewing, apparently had done really well in sales, and started his own firm.He did mention that at the start of my interview, thankfully I was still young enough not to totally him, but anyone 30s and over would have been fighting the urge to thump him. I am however putting that to one side, as the guy had achieved alot at a young age.

My problem started when he started to talk about his secretary, how he hired her because he wanted a youthful face and energy to the firm. Considering I had spent about 15 minuets in the waiting room, filling out an application form and watching her talk about night clubs with any female candidates who came in. Now ive had interviews where other staff member's will boost your confidence before the interview, but I dont believe she was doing that, and what sum her up, was when a delivery guy showed up, and she had not made up what she was want delivered, so sent him away. (this is before the interview)

Needless to say I didnt think much of her at that point, and the manager talking about her as the face of the company etc, meant that I was not really interested in working for the company anymore.