Justin Timberlake- Suit and Tie

13»

Comments

• Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    mmeister2 wrote: »
    Except it is if you want to make a career out of it.

No, there's thousands of people that make a living from music that have never even had a top 200 hit in the UK. Look at all those underground rappers. They don't need a job. They're never in the charts, but they get enough money from performing at clubs once a week. They're not releasing songs like Starships, not getting chart hits, and have made a career out of music. Many rock and alternative artists do the same, they've never had a chart hit. Even look at the roster of the major record labels (e.g. Interscope), you won't have heard of most of those artists, but they've still got record deals, Interscope are still making money off them.

And a few posters here have said that Justin is following trends or whatever. So, you guys think the charts are going to be full of R&B songs and alternative-urban songs in 12 months time?
  • Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    I really like it and it reminds me of early Michael Jackson.
  • DanielleLDanielleL Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    Goosebee wrote: »
    Just premiered. What does everyone think? I found it dire got about a minute and a half in and gave up!

awful
    crap
    wank

really really bad
  • Diceroll_81Diceroll_81 Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be (based on the comments in here!) but its still pretty bland and forgettable.

Justin's never been good at picking first singles anyway. 'like I love you' was okay but was a typical generic neptunes track. Sexyback was more original but was a crap tuneless mess.

Between this and the new Destinys child song it's not been a good week for comeback singles!
  • DanielleLDanielleL Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    It's not as bad as I thought it was going to be (based on the comments in here!) but its still pretty bland and forgettable.

Justin's never been good at picking first singles anyway. 'like I love you' was okay but was a typical generic neptunes track. Sexyback was more original but was a crap tuneless mess.

Between this and the new Destinys child song it's not been a good week for comeback singles!

I used to love Destinys child but both songs sound like old crap that wasn't good enough to be released first time around, very dated.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Hmm, I quite like the chorus, very catchy indeed. As a whole though I think the song's a bit messy and does at times highlight Justin's shortcomings vocally (especially the beginning). However it's got a nice 'chilled' vibe and definitely a grower. I'm liking it more with each listen.

As another poster said, I too hated Sexyback initially but that was a massive grower as well. Has this song been officially released ie. eligible for the charts this week?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    lol. Everybody in this thread is so angry he released an R&B song. :D

It's Justin though. I said on this forum before there's no way he'd ever release a song like Starships. I have so much respect for him, music isn't about getting big hits.

:confused:

I don't think anybody was expecting Justin to come back with something like Starships.
    I'm thrilled he has stuck with R&B, I'm just really disappointed with the song.
    troy4783 wrote: »
    No one is mad that he released an R&B track I think most people who Justin's music will know his music is R&B/Pop I think people are just dissapointed that the song is not like a mega smash that they were expecting the song doesn't scream Big Comeback song. The songs growing on me though I'm liking it more and more.

exactly :)
  • megatron_manmegatron_man Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm hearing people are dissing Justin's vocals on the track :eek:, i thought they are pretty good. !!

btw the best live performance in terms of vocals from his is defo this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT-0jk1HMYs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Justin but this is god awful :(

Its like a really bad prince jam reject, I can see what he's tried to do but it hasnt worked, let alone as a come back. Epic fail. EPIC fail.
  • DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is Starships being brought up? It's such a random comparison.
  • megatron_manmegatron_man Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dizagaox wrote: »
    Why is Starships being brought up? It's such a random comparison.

because starships were meant to fly? :confused:
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's quite good when I first heard the intro I thought oh no this is terrible then as it got past that I really like it.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    mysty211 wrote: »
    I think it's quite good when I first heard the intro I thought oh no this is terrible then as it got past that I really like it.

Same. If you've heard ole skool 80s early r&b it has the same feel as those slowies. It's good :)

I love how it's blowing up UK + US itunes! Here's to a good 300k first week WW sales ;)

OOOH!. Lemme buy it!!!! :D
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    O.Michel wrote: »
    Going to #1 on iTunes on the first day is not a task for someone of his calibre. I heard it was #1 in about 8 or 9 countries and 'Your Body' was #1 in 7 countries, which just proves that #1 on the first day doesn't equal an overall hit. He'll have some amazing chart debuts, especially in the US, where he has a radio deal so that his song gets played every hour on the hour on the biggest radio stations, but the song's quality will determine the rest of the chart run, which is more important than just the first 7 days.

True. But he's at #1 in 21. Not 7 ;)
    And doing top 10 in lots of other markets.
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    I think its alright but its not exactly a strong comeback song its very Justin in terms of the way the track sounds.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On course for chart record
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like it either :( ....but who knows it may grow on me... :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    wildhollie wrote: »
    I didn't like it either :( ....but who knows it may grow on me... :)

I think my expectations were too high... I liked it a bit more after the second listen though, so hoping for the same.
  • designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a bit underwhelmed by this song. I am not a massive fan but more of a casual listener of his. I got his last album though and a few singles from the first album. I liked the last album a fair bit but this one just didn't do anything for me. I was hoping for something a bit bigger. I don't know, maybe it will grow on me but I haven't managed to listen all the way through as it doesn't really grab me
  • JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've waited what like 7 years for this? Very disappointing. Sounds like an album track.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Really rubbish how on earth its getting to number 1 is beyond me!
  • KookyKatieKookyKatie Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alpo. wrote: »

Lol, I don't think that comes as much of a surprise to anyone.

It's an average track - seems like he was trying to a slightly dancier version of what Frank Ocean did on Channel Orange, but didn't really come off. Maybe it will grow on me though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The song is no longer No.1 on iTunes US Chart. It's now No.2 after 4 days at No.1. Next week it could debut inside the top 5 on Billboard Hot 100. Wouldn't be much of a surprise if it decreases even more on iTunes.

I don't really like the song it's quite disappointing and after 6 years of not releasing any of his solo singles songs and 7 years of not releasing an album this is what he has to release. If it goes No.1 I'd be shocked. I'd be surprised if it's in the top 5 but not surprise if it's top 10 like. I hope for a 2nd single it'll be a better single.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    The song really does grow on you

At first i didn't like it but now i love it