Anyone switched from Android to Windows phone?

southladsouthlad Posts: 1,140
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm really liking the look of the new Windows 8 phones, especially Nokia Lumia 920. The OS seems very modern and fresh compared to my current android phone (SGS2).

If you made the switch, do you have any feedback? Positive and negative?

Comments

• andycatandycat Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I tried, and am back on Android. Didn't get on with the lack of particular apps, and some limitations on email (No peak/off peak etc).
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    andycat wrote: »
    I tried, and am back on Android. Didn't get on with the lack of particular apps, and some limitations on email (No peak/off peak etc).

Me too. I went for the Nokia Lumia 800 (running WP7.5) after my beloved HTC was stolen a few months back. While the range of apps available was/is not as limited as some would have you believe, it was still lagging considerably behind the Android market. I also didn't like the relative lack of customisation, again Android is considerably ahead in this respect.

I sold it after two months and bought another Android handset. Going by my experience I would suggest staying where you are. WP8 might be an improvement though.
  • Arenas52Arenas52 Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    I went from Android to a Lumia 800 and I absolutely love it. I have all the apps I need. Some of the Nokia ones especially Drive are excellent. It never crashes or lags, unlike my Android and I really can't see myself going back. My next upgrade will be to Windows Phone 8.
  • stevejk75stevejk75 Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Same here.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same, I went from Android to Windows last year and now I am back to Andriod again...
  • southladsouthlad Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking maybe stay with Android for a while longer then until Windows phones catch up.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was seriously thinking about Windows Phone from iOS, but its the lack of maturity in the appstore that kept me from leaping to it. I went to Android instead.

In a year or so i think it will be a very different market indeed, i know a lot of software in development for it as we speak.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are all these mystical apps that people can not do without?
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT@home wrote: »

Scare away mosquitoes, farting apps, torchlights, is that enough? :D
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BT@home wrote: »

When I was looking at Windows Phone earlier this year:

Skype (yes, there's an App, but until recently it couldn't run in the background)
    Spotify
    Dropbox

IMO, these things are just too important and you can't really get by with a web app for them.

I LOVE Windows Phone, but it's the Apps that made me not get one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dropbox is in certification already, so should be soon.

Skype/spotify .... No idea as I don't use either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Android phones may be more customisable, but can you hammer nails with them like you can do with Lumia 920?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDEahsoa_N4
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    southlad wrote: »
    I'm thinking maybe stay with Android for a while longer then until Windows phones catch up.

It will never catch up. It will remain a limited OS for basic users - and nothing wrong with that. I fancy a 8X next year as that looks the best handset on WP8, but only as a second phone. If you like the tile interface stick a WP launcher on your S2. My wife loves Launcher 7 on her GNote.
  • n1guyn1guy Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes went to Windows phone and back again, so many little things that bug me to be honest although I really wanted to stay with Windows Phone as its so new and fresh looking, but lack of apps for me was also a major thing, I missed my Instagram, a decent Twitter client and the music player was just to much hassle to use, It also needs like a notification centre, I want something convenient that I can pull down and see my notifications not bugger about with live tiles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    It will never catch up. It will remain a limited OS for basic users - and nothing wrong with that. I fancy a 8X next year as that looks the best handset on WP8, but only as a second phone. If you like the tile interface stick a WP launcher on your S2. My wife loves Launcher 7 on her GNote.

Why will it remain a limited OS for basic users? That makes no sense at all.
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Quite!!

Anyway...I'm on android now (SGS2 and a HTC Hero before it) but definitelyu going to to give a Lumia 920 a shot when my contract runs out.

I'm sick of android - the updates that never make it to your phone, the carriers adding a load of crap to the updates etc etc

Both my hero and SGS2 have suffered with lag once the updates have eventually got through. I've also suffered with an app that came pre-installed and ended up charging me £80 when I removed it from my home screen...

So yep, for me android is just too open, too much choice etc, and I want to move to a more closed system. I hate Apple, so windows it will be...
  • kevkev Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Both my hero and SGS2 have suffered with lag once the updates have eventually got through.

So it's not just Sony that do that then (afflicted my Xperia S and X10i)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was on a train and around me _everybody_ was doing something to their phone. People seem to spend more time with their phones than with other people. No wonder they want a variety of things they can do to them. I would not call WP8 a basic OS. It's for serious, cough, older gentlemen who want a smartphone, but do not want to be molesting it 24/7 :p
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Q

Both my hero and SGS2 have suffered with lag once the updates have eventually got through. I've also suffered with an app that came pre-installed and ended up charging me £80 when I removed it from my home screen...

That's the first time I've ever heard of someone being charged to remove an app. What was it? What contract were you on? Did you complain? Has anyone else had this happen?

Honestly, I find it hard to believe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the first time I've ever heard of someone being charged to remove an app. What was it? What contract were you on? Did you complain? Has anyone else had this happen?

I wonder what the app was. What was it Bio max? You sure it wasn't an In App Purchase?
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »
    So Android phones may be more customisable, but can you hammer nails with them like you can do with Lumia 920?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDEahsoa_N4

I believe there is an android app for that though!!!;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder what the app was. What was it Bio max? You sure it wasn't an In App Purchase?

Why would I lie? Cheers niceguy.

The app was called AP mobile. It was a stock widget that came on my phone. For some users when you removed the widget from your phone, suddenly the data usage shot right up. Normally I use around 100mb a month, but my usage shot up to over a GB.

I received warning texts from Three that I was close to my limit, but I honestly thought they were spam or a mistake - how could I be close to my limit of 500mb when I only use around 100mb?

Then I woke up in the morning and all night I had been receiving texts from Three saying "you're now over your usage limit and you owe £2" and then "you're now over your usage limit and you owe £4" etc. It kept going till I owed over £100. I phoned three and put a stop on my internet instantly - but I had to pay the bill, they said it was my fault (it kind of was - I had the warnings). I had no idea what was causing it until I installed a data manager that showed the usage from AP mobile.

You can read more about it (and to see I'm being honest) on the xda forums here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1098206
  • DiversoDiverso Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    (1) the updates that never make it to your phone,
    (2) the carriers adding a load of crap to the updates etc etc

(3) Both my hero and SGS2 have suffered with lag once the updates have eventually got through.

(4) I've also suffered with an app that came pre-installed and ended up charging me £80 when I removed it from my home screen...

(5) for me android is just too open, too much choice etc,

(1) Just like Windows Phone 8 didn't make it to any phone released before November. Samsung Galaxy S2 will be getting Jellybean even though it was released over a year ago.

(2) Just like they do on other operating systems, also you can get an unlocked phone to solve this.

(3) HTC Hero I can believe because it wasn't particularly powerful but Samsung Galaxy S2 I find it hard to accept. I have a banded GS2 and have several friends with the same phone (by different phone companies) and none of us had an issue. If you experienced lag then you should have contacted the provider as your update clearly didn't go through properly.

(4) Is this a joke? You have a smart phone and expect to use less than 100 mb per month? If what you say is true (which many of us find difficult to believe) then you obviously signed into the application and enables automatic updates, when you took the widget off your home screen you were NOT charged. You were charged because you continued to receive the updates as you failed to disable updates and uninstall the widget.

(5) By all means move to a more restricting operating system that doesn't allow you to set up the phone the way you want even though you paid for it and own it. Have you considered getting a feature phone? That’s more restricting even than WP!

If you want to use WP then that's your choice but opening a thread to badmouth other operating system is a bit foolish particularly when a fairly large number of people use that OS and can easily rubbish any half-baked claims you make.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would I lie? Cheers niceguy.

The app was called AP mobile. It was a stock widget that came on my phone. For some users when you removed the widget from your phone, suddenly the data usage shot right up. Normally I use around 100mb a month, but my usage shot up to over a GB.

I received warning texts from Three that I was close to my limit, but I honestly thought they were spam or a mistake - how could I be close to my limit of 500mb when I only use around 100mb?

Then I woke up in the morning and all night I had been receiving texts from Three saying "you're now over your usage limit and you owe £2" and then "you're now over your usage limit and you owe £4" etc. It kept going till I owed over £100. I phoned three and put a stop on my internet instantly - but I had to pay the bill, they said it was my fault (it kind of was - I had the warnings). I had no idea what was causing it until I installed a data manager that showed the usage from AP mobile.

You can read more about it (and to see I'm being honest) on the xda forums here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1098206

In your other post it sounded like it charged you £80 because you uninstalled it, actually you uninstalled it because it ran up a data charge of £80. Not at all the same.

Thanks for the link. More people should know about this dreadful app.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diverso wrote: »
    (1) Just like Windows Phone 8 didn't make it to any phone released before November. Samsung Galaxy S2 will be getting Jellybean even though it was released over a year ago.

(2) Just like they do on other operating systems, also you can get an unlocked phone to solve this.
    When did I saw Windows was any different? I was merely complaining on what I perceived about android after 4 years with it. I’ve not used windows before, so I have no idea if it has the same problems.
    (3) HTC Hero I can believe because it wasn't particularly powerful but Samsung Galaxy S2 I find it hard to accept. I have a banded GS2 and have several friends with the same phone (by different phone companies) and none of us had an issue. If you experienced lag then you should have contacted the provider as your update clearly didn't go through properly.
    Crikey what is it with DS nowadays? Can you just believe me please that my phone suffers terribly with lag? The lock screen is the worst place for it however.
    (4) Is this a joke? You have a smart phone and expect to use less than 100 mb per month? If what you say is true (which many of us find difficult to believe) then you obviously signed into the application and enables automatic updates, when you took the widget off your home screen you were NOT charged. You were charged because you continued to receive the updates as you failed to disable updates and uninstall the widget.
    No why would it be a joke? I’d have put a smiley on to indicate that. Yes I expect to use around 100mb each month – as I have done since I bought the phone (except for the incident as described). I use wi fi at work and at home. I don’t download anything over 3g – only occasionally opening the bbc news app and the odd browsing, so yes I easily use only 100mb.

If you want to use WP then that's your choice but opening a thread to badmouth other operating system is a bit foolish particularly when a fairly large number of people use that OS and can easily rubbish any half-baked claims you make.
    Why the anger? I did not open the thread – I’m not the OP? I have not made any half-baked claims at all – I simply gave my view. calm down and accept that people can have alternative views??
    If what you say is true (which many of us find difficult to believe) then you obviously signed into the application and enables automatic updates, when you took the widget off your home screen you were NOT charged. You were charged because you continued to receive the updates as you failed to disable updates and uninstall the widget.
    In your other post it sounded like it charged you £80 because you uninstalled it, actually you uninstalled it because it ran up a data charge of £80. Not at all the same.
    No that is not what happened.

I removed it from my home screen (not un installed) because I didn’t like it there – I had the refresh at every few hours (can’t remember how much) and previously it was not using many mb at all – like I said I use around 100mb each month – this was with the app on the home screen as well. After removing the app from my home screen it suddenly started using stupid amounts of data. I hadn’t changed any settings – just removed it from my home screen. Because I did not realise it was the app doing it – I then got charged £80. So yes…actually it did charge me £80 because I removed it – it was fine before.

So no diverso – I WAS charged because I removed it from my home screen. Why on earth are we even debating it? I get that you love Android – but for goodness sake can I say what happened to me without idiots trying to ridicule me?

p.s. diverso - 2 people does not equate to 'many'....