• tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are hope to make a mint!

*TAXI!

That wins the prize for cheesiest joke :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    I thought it was a really interesting programme.
    Mainly I learned why these shops don't sell personal shopping trollies or large bags with wheels.
    It's because they are in heavy rivalry and tend to set up next to or nearby each other. ;)
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I work you can actually fail the mystery shopper if you don't ask the customer if they have a loyalty card and if they say no you have to make one for them even if you have a massive queue building up, I hate it

I use to be under the immesnse sales pressure my self and it's awful. We had mystery shoppers, telephone callers who were a set up, the lot.
    I heard the supervisor I mentioned even take to task, one of the staff in front of customers about her not asking, I was really angry over that, there is no need. There would be plenty of time during the slack hours to mention this. What annoyed me the most, she is the worse culprit. I really had to bite my tongue.
  • Mr MertonMr Merton Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I use to be under the immesnse sales pressure my self and it's awful. We had mystery shoppers, telephone callers who were a set up, the lot.
    I heard the supervisor I mentioned even take to task, one of the staff in front of customers about her not asking, I was really angry over that, there is no need. There would be plenty of time during the slack hours to mention this. What annoyed me the most, she is the worse culprit. I really had to bite my tongue.

Think I know the shop you're referring to, and it's one I've stopped using precisely because of the reward card hassle and the fact that they're no longer as cheap (relatively speaking) or (in a few cases) as good quality as they used to be, making it too much bother to use it when I can get similar or better value elsewhere with a bit of care. As for the reward card, I just say that I've left mine at home, which is an excuse that nearly works every time. And don't worry about the customers; they might be just as unimpressed with the supervisor's behaviour as the staff and it shows them exactly what goes on behind the scenes. (Indeed a customer really ought to have offered their support to staff.)

As for the pound shops, there may be super-efficient and very hard-working people like Ian that appear to be permanently married to the job, but they can be an asset as long as they don't expect other staff to work as hard as them. Many people have lives outside of work and their wishes ought to be respected.

By the way, I'm my local pound shop's worst enemy when it comes to price comparison, only buying something when it's demonstrably cheaper both in size and in value, and not just because it's a pound ;)
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose this is 'the other side' to 99pence etc stores which the viewer of this documentary didn't really see.

Most of the staff in my local 99pence store are Polish. I do wonder sometimes what sort of wages they are on and if they are treated fairly.