Options

Kate Bush: Her best album is...

13»

Comments

• Options
    PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is interesting as The Dreaming is one I never felt anything for and it probably wouldn't fare well up against the others if this were a poll but but I am pleased to see someone rank it highly.

When I first bought The Dreaming way back when, I must admit I hated a lot of it but because I loved some tracks I persevered with it and ended up being absolutely obsessed with it. I listened to it again recently and still find some of it 'challenging' but it's still one of my favourites, along with Hounds of Love and the second half of Ariel. Actually I love all her albums:) although I did find The Sensual World the one I least connected to, love the title track and This Woman's Work though (of course). The Ninth Wave is still, all these years later, perfection (imo).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    A remastered version was released a few years ago and it sounds less 'shiny'. There are some gorgeous songs on Red Shoes though: Moments of Pleasure, Song of Solomon, Lily, Red Shoes. I would only cull Top of the City and You're the One. The rest is all very good IMO.

I always liked Top of the City, for some reason it always made me think of a rainy Saturday.
  • Options
    Miss Ann ThropyMiss Ann Thropy Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PoppySeed wrote: »
    I always liked Top of the City, for some reason it always made me think of a rainy Saturday.

Me also and it was nice to see some love for Lily earlier in this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i often wish she'd take some of her best songs (what a huge catalogue that would be) and record them with just a piano and minimal production, a more 'raw' Kate, I think I'd love the results. Not a Director's Cut type reworking but just stripped back, no frills.
  • Options
    Ed_PhelanEd_Phelan Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    PoppySeed wrote: »
    i often wish she'd take some of her best songs (what a huge catalogue that would be) and record them with just a piano and minimal production, a more 'raw' Kate, I think I'd love the results. Not a Director's Cut type reworking but just stripped back, no frills.

For me, I like her huge, studio loving sound.

Take Running up that Hill: a beautiful song in any way but that faint breaking glass that runs throughout just takes it to another place for me. It would be an amazing without it but just not the Kate I love.

To the original question:
    Hounds of Love
    Closely followed by The Dreaming and The Sensual World
    More distantly followed by Never for Ever and Aerial.

Could never really get into 50 Words though.
  • Options
    ThornfieldThornfield Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I adore Kate Bush and choosing a best album is pretty much impossible for me as I swing back and forth between them depending on my mood but if absolutely forced I would have to say Aerial. It's the album that made me notice her and I became an instant fan, and listening to it makes me so happy.

I was lucky enough to see one of her Before The Dawn shows a couple of years ago and seeing her perform the entire Sky Of Honey suite live was the most amazing thing ever.
  • Options
    CupidStunt2010CupidStunt2010 Posts: 803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hounds...
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hounds of Love - But closely followed by Aerial and The Dreaming.
  • Options
    ThornfieldThornfield Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was REALLY hard to choose between Aerial and Hounds for me, but I picked Aerial solely because it was the album which lead to me "discovering" Kate's other work through.