Panasonic TX28PN1 28" Aspect Problem

Paper DollPaper Doll Posts: 3,398
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I bought this because my parent have a similar older model but the problem is when the TV is in automatic mode borders keep coming and going at the top and bottom and this is very distracting, especially during films.

On the old model you switched to Just mode and the picture would fill the screen, but they've now taken that mode away and all the other modes have borders top and bottom and distortions.

The problem is when watching DVDs and analogue TV because it doesn't happen with freeview, is there anything I can do?

Comments

• David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the dvd's in question are "letterbox" widescreen not 16:9, quite a few are. In these cases, the screen will be in wide mode, but you will still get some thinish black borders top and bottom. If you stretch the picture to remove the bars, the people + objetcs will appear stretched top to bottom. On analogue tv, many films are in letter box as well, plus most modern tv content on analogue is in 14:9 format so you get thin bars top and bottom. Some sets will adjust for 14:9, others require a manual adjustment.

Modern widescreen content on freeview is usually in 16:9 wide, so it fits the widescreen tv's. But even on there, you can get some older content (uktv history) which is 4:3 or 14:9.

I am guessing you know about the aspect menu options on your dvd player. Without a disc in it, select the 16:9 menu. This tells the player what type of tv you have connected. Obviously, if you play a non-16:9 disc, it will override the setting just for that disc.

Dave
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I might be wrong, but on earlier Panasonics the Just mode only worked with NON RGB picture sourced programmes.... so perhaps you could try using the Video or S-video output from the DVD player to see if the Just mode works......

But I haven't played about with a recent model and could be just wrong now!

However, many DVD's should indeed still display black bars top and bottom when viewed in the Wide mode - as David says above....
  • Paper DollPaper Doll Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help, I was playing the films through the non-RGB scart, still have the same problem with analogue though, it’s either borders top/ bottom or left/ right or annoying automatic flicking between full screen and top/ bottom borders.