Justin Bieber Makes Chart History With Songs At #1, #2, #3

Comments

• AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having had 9 singles in the top 40 in December, this is just crazy. He's not my cup of tea but it's an impressive achievement

It's not really that surprising or impressive since the rules for what count as the charts changed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    Streaming is ****ing up the chart . IMO

I think so too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Hear hear. Some right curmudgeonly music snobs on here. Pathetic, really.

I don't think so, I just think that they're realists and can look at things pragmatically.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think so too.
    The irony is that streaming may help David Bowie knock Bieber off the top. Many of the younger generation who have grown to love and appreciate Bowie probably don't have any of his cds. Let's hope this happens.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,988
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    The irony is that streaming may help David Bowie knock Bieber off the top. Many of the younger generation who have grown to love and appreciate Bowie probably don't have any of his cds. Let's hope this happens.

It doesn't matter anyway, it doesn't count remember
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    It's not really that surprising or impressive since the rules for what count as the charts changed.

But if its so easy to achieve why is nobody else doing it?? Like I said in an earlier post, One Direction's album tracks all charted but apart from the official singles none have come close to making the top 10.
  • OneNightIn1982OneNightIn1982 Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    You cannot argue for one moment his material is worthy of being #1 #2 #3 in the charts?

It's down to him being a social media cult, same with 1D.

Social media is skewing the charts. Therefore his "achievements" cannot really be compared to proper artists from yesteryear.

I'm not even a big fan of Adele but her fans should feel slightly aggrieved this guy is taking away some of her limelight with these faux chart positions.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »

Streaming will hold Bowie back: Motorhead got to #13 last week after Lemmy's death on the streaming/sales chart but as high as #5 on the sales only chart. Either way let's hope Bowie dethrones Bieber. That would be true pop justice.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Streaming will hold Bowie back: Motorhead got to #13 last week after Lemmy's death on the streaming/sales chart but as high as #5 on the sales only chart. Either way let's hope Bowie dethrones Bieber. That would be true pop justice.

Though there was some Irony there. That Motorhead got to number 13 with a song about bad luck on a Friday. Lemmy would have loved that.
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    You cannot argue for one moment his material is worthy of being #1 #2 #3 in the charts?

It's down to him being a social media cult, same with 1D.

Social media is skewing the charts. Therefore his "achievements" cannot really be compared to proper artists from yesteryear.

I'm not even a big fan of Adele but her fans should feel slightly aggrieved this guy is taking away some of her limelight with these faux chart positions.

But who are you to decide what is worthy? The chart was often full of crap long before social media existed - The Birdy Song, Mr Blobby, need I go on??

In any case, its a controversial opinion to have but I don't really think Adele is any more worthy of all these achievements than Justin is. That's just my opinion though of course, and clearly there are thousands, if not millions of people who disagree.
  • Theo RoseTheo Rose Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the year 2000 every week was a different number 1. I think that is when the Top 40 started to die.
  • SepangBlueSepangBlue Posts: 4,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't know a Justin Bieber song if it got up and bit me, nor do I think I'd recognise him if you showed me a picture of him.

What I can say is that all I seem to have heard about him is 'bad press' .. crashing cars, letting fans down by arriving late or not at all, etc.

To have so many records in the charts at any one time tells me two things: First, has he never heard of quality over quantity? And second, hardly anyone buys physical records any more so it takes fewer sales to make it into the charts.

Perhaps it's not realistic to mention the Beatles' chart success in the same breath as this young artist. Back when Beatlemania was at its height a group needed to sell nearly half a million copies to gain a gold record award. Nowadays records seem to 'go platinum' with sales somewhere in the tens of thousands.

How times have changed!
    Forum Member
    It's not uncommon to have multiple songs in the chart at the same time. As mentioned above, The Beatles had positions 1-5 in the US. Obviously they never heard of quality over quantity either?

Also, to get a Gold single or album is 400,000 and 100,000 respectively so not tens of thousands.

They haven't actually changed that much have they?
  • ThorneyThorney Posts: 3,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SepangBlue wrote: »

To have so many records in the charts at any one time tells me two things: First, has he never heard of quality over quantity? And second, hardly anyone buys physical records any more so it takes fewer sales to make it into the charts.

Firstly only two of these songs are actual singles, the main one that is being downloaded/streamed is an album track. You can download and/or listen to anything you want now regardless if it is an official single or not

Secondly a number one single still sells around 80,000 a week which is comparable with 1986 and 60,000 more a week than 2006.

There has been more million sellers in the last few years than just about any time in music history. Singles: Silver 200,000; Gold 400,000; Platinum 600,000
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I don't think so, I just think that they're realists and can look at things pragmatically.

Nope, I'm sticking with my original assessment; namely there are some curmudgeonly music snobs on here. And it is pathetic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still not THAT great an achievement when you release all 13 tracks from your album at the same time.

... something that just wouldn't have happened back in the day.

An artist would release a single and we'd either buy it or we wouldn't. If enough of us bought it, it might enter the charts. If a huge number of us bought it, it might even go to #1.

If that same artist was then to record and release an album, we'd feel short-changed if the single we'd recently shelled out for appeared on there. Remember that a single containing two tracks (sides A & B) would cost about 6/8d (33p today). An album, at 32/6d (£1.63p today) commonly contained between 10 and 12 tracks, so the value for money of an LP with all fresh material is plain to see.

Albums almost invariably contained a whole raft of hitherto unheard material and only rarely would you find the single on there. Singles tended not to be lifted from albums, but it sometimes happened the other way around - namely, a successful single might appear on a later album by way of a filler.

I suppose Bieber's 'achievement' is just a reflection of the way the industry has gone or, depending on your point of view, lost its way!
    Forum Member
    Is that true? I mean singles were released from albums as far back as The Beatles debut album which featured Please Please Me which was released as a single in January 1963 with the album of the same name, featuring the song, was released in March 1963.

How far back in the day were you talking about?
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,527
    Forum Member
    Most of the biggest Beatles singles were not lifted from their albums but yes it was sometimes done so that's not the explanation for charts corruption.

The biggest two changes were downloads that allowed album tracks to be bought separately... but at least they were bought and paid for, but far worse was streaming, which includes repeated plays that are not paid for (albeit divided by 100). Repeated plays were not counted at all before that, they couldn't even be measured, though some kids used to play their favourite singles on repeat all day long!

So new chart records can only be compared to the last couple of years unless you look at the sales chart, which is still published on the OCC website, and even then, they sometimes have to be taken with a pinch of salt due to downloading of album tracks.

Even after all that, with albums you still have to be careful as back ion the 1950s and 1960s and maybe beyond, multiple-artist film soundtrack albums were included in the chart, for example, Sound of Music knocked Sgt Peppers off the top in November 1967 and there are many other examples of this, which cannot happen these days as multi-artist soundtracks are excluded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that true? I mean singles were released from albums as far back as The Beatles debut album which featured Please Please Me which was released as a single in January 1963 with the album of the same name, featuring the song, was released in March 1963.

How far back in the day were you talking about?

Love Me Do (the single) - released 5.10.62
    Please Please Me (the single) - released 11.1.63
    Please Please Me (the album) - released 22.3.63

It was their debut album after all, so we can't really blame the marketing people for including their first two singles on this one!

The second album - With the Beatles - didn't feature any singles
    The third album - A Hard Day's Night - only featured the title track (as you'd expect)
    The fourth album - Beatles For Sale - didn't feature any singles

Only when we get to their fifth album - Help! - do we find tracks that were also singles ..

Help!
    Ticket to Ride
    Yesterday

Don't mean to be pedantic here, but in the main I stand by what I said.
    Forum Member
    I'm not saying that every album had singles, I'm saying that this did happen as far back as then which can't be denied. Even if you go as far back as the 80s, singles were being pulled from albums.

This isn't anything that hasn't been done regularly in the past 30 years.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was their debut album after all, so we can't really blame the marketing people for including their first two singles on this one!

The third album - A Hard Day's Night - only featured the title track (as you'd expect)

Only when we get to their fifth album - Help! - do we find tracks that were also singles ..

Help!
    Ticket to Ride
    Yesterday

And famously Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields did not appear on Sgt Pepper. Something which producer George Martin regretted.
  • Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Help!
    Ticket to Ride
    Yesterday

Pretty sure Yesterday wasn't released as a single in Britain. At least not till way after the Beatles had split
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't know a Justin Bieber song if it got up and bit me, nor do I think I'd recognise him if you showed me a picture of him.

What I can say is that all I seem to have heard about him is 'bad press' .. crashing cars, letting fans down by arriving late or not at all, etc.

Perhaps it's not realistic to mention the Beatles' chart success in the same breath as this young artist. Back when Beatlemania was at its height a group needed to sell nearly half a million copies to gain a gold record award. Nowadays records seem to 'go platinum' with sales somewhere in the tens of thousands.

How times have changed!

JB having number 1, 2 and 3 has nothing to do with Quantity over Quality though. According to Wikipedia, he's released 45 singles over the years, with only these three singles reaching the top spot, so you can't blame it on having too many songs out there, otherwise the other 42 would have achieved something over the year.

The three singles weren't released at the same time either, What Do You Mean was released way back in August, Sorry was released in October as the follow up single, then Love Yourself became available to download when the album was released. It's not like at the end for December (when the achievement was made) Beiber had released 3 singles on the same day.

Everyone knows it's not 'cool' to like Justin Beiber, but his new stuff seems to have captured new audiences, so much so that the Internet makes jokes about it, similar with rock fans who like Taylor Swift.

If Ed Shreeren had released Love Yourself the music snobs who hate it would probably call it a decent track.
  • Special AppearanceSpecial Appearance Posts: 8,013
    Forum Member
    If Ed Shreeran had released Love Yourself the music snobs who hate it would probably call it a decent track.

Here here :D
  • Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB having number 1, 2 and 3 has nothing to do with Quantity over Quality though. According to Wikipedia, he's released 45 singles over the years, with only these three singles reaching the top spot, so you can't blame it on having too many songs out there, otherwise the other 42 would have achieved something over the year.

The three singles weren't released at the same time either, What Do You Mean was released way back in August, Sorry was released in October as the follow up single, then Love Yourself became available to download when the album was released. It's not like at the end for December (when the achievement was made) Beiber had released 3 singles on the same day.

Everyone knows it's not 'cool' to like Justin Beiber, but his new stuff seems to have captured new audiences, so much so that the Internet makes jokes about it, similar with rock fans who like Taylor Swift.

If Ed Shreeren had released Love Yourself the music snobs who hate it would probably call it a decent track.
    You think music snobs think Ed Sheeran is cool?