Android 5.0 update

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I could do, but I do prefer not to have photos online, unless I choose them to be there.

Then don't use Google+, don't use any cloud storage. It's easy!
  • Robin CroryRobin Crory Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Jeez, are you two still going at it?

Downloading Lollipop now to my LG G3. Ready for install. Whoop.
  • Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope they soon release 5.0.1 for Nexus 7 (2012). Mine is a pile of crap since the update. I loved my Nexus 7.
  • TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope they soon release 5.0.1 for Nexus 7 (2012). Mine is a pile of crap since the update. I loved my Nexus 7.

Not done my Nexus 7 and don't feel the need to after reading this thread. I'll wait a while I think.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am also keen to get 5.0.1 on the 2012 N7, and still waiting for it on my N5 - plus any version on my LTE N7.

Very slow and disjointed roll out this time around. Sure there are more devices to do every time, but still.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Enhancing photos or making mini movies or sideshows is definitely worth being scared of!

As for why you're asked for a Google+ profile now, it will be because it isn't separated yet.

I see. Still seems strange that they are separating it, maybe they are going to scrap Google+
    [/quote]

And storing photos in the cloud (which you could do with a heavily encrypted ZIP file if you so desired) seems like a better idea that just relying on external storage that could be stolen, damaged or lost.

But hey, some people don't like change.[/QUOTE]

Zip files can corrupt, anyway I prefer Rar files than zip., also you can not zip on auto back ups.

Change is ok if it do not cause problems or the change is worse than what you had before.

If I did not like change then there are lots of things I would not be doing now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Then don't use Google+, don't use any cloud storage. It's easy!

I am not, it is just the way they try to force you to use it,

I do use cloud storage, I got a few files on drop box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do I not have a widget screen on my all apps on my nexus 4? I updated to 5 and reset the phone and only noticed last night I do not have any widgets,

Phone also updated to 5.01 this morning, but not link to widgets.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not, it is just the way they try to force you to use it,

I do use cloud storage, I got a few files on drop box.

Google haven't forced me to use it (and I'm running Android 5.0.1 on a Nexus 4). I don't use it. I simply use cloud services of my choice, ones which best suit me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see. Still seems strange that they are separating it, maybe they are going to scrap Google+

Zip files can corrupt, anyway I prefer Rar files than zip., also you can not zip on auto back ups.

Change is ok if it do not cause problems or the change is worse than what you had before.

If I did not like change then there are lots of things I would not be doing now.

My ZIP file thing was just an example. By all means compress files with whatever tool you want, with whatever encryption you want. Personally, my photos are all in the clear - nothing nasty or embarrassing to hide, but financial documents are protected for all but the most determined hacker.

I'm not really that bothered. I probably have FAR more to lose if I had a break in and people took files, paperwork, cards etc.

The imaging stuff on Google+ is really just the Picasa stuff Google had before, and tried to make part of its rather poorly performing social network. I can't say if Google+ will go or not, but kit makes sense to separate cloud hosting, image editing etc - and you can expect in the future that Drive will manage your photos instead of Google+, but still use the Photos app as a point of access.

It does an incredible job of enhancing some photos, and if you ever take a series of shots to get the 'right shot' it will merge the best bits (e.g. smiles) from different pictures into a new one. It will also stitch together photos to make high-resolution panoramic images, create animations and much more.

And all the while your originals are unaffected.

The movies and slideshows are great, and at certain times of the year Google will play around with you - like April Fools day or Christmas (adding animated snow to pictures). It's fun and totally harmless, and if you're willing to drop the resolution a bit (2048px wide) then you will use up no space at all and have unlimited storage.

I use Google, Dropbox and OneDrive to back up stuff - giving me some protection if any one service goes tits up one day. And of course all the photos and videos are on my home computer and an external backup drive.

Fingers crossed I'm totally covered.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do I not have a widget screen on my all apps on my nexus 4? I updated to 5 and reset the phone and only noticed last night I do not have any widgets,

Phone also updated to 5.01 this morning, but not link to widgets.

Are you asking how to add widgets to the the Andoid 5.0 stock launcher?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    I got 5.0.1 on my N5 this morning, is it just big fixes, any significant changes?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bug fixes and security patches and nothing else, I'd imagine.
  • DJ JimmyDJ Jimmy Posts: 7,166
    Forum Member
    I got the notification to update to 5.0.1 yesterday on my N4. I installed it but when it restarted, after the Google logo, it came up with the Android on his back with the red cross displaying "error!" Fearing the worst, thankfully it turned back on okay, still with 5.0. I got the notifiaction again and tried once more this morning but the same thing happened. Do any of you guys know why this might be?
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJ Jimmy wrote: »
    I got the notification to update to 5.0.1 yesterday on my N4. I installed it but when it restarted, after the Google logo, it came up with the Android on his back with the red cross displaying "error!" Fearing the worst, thankfully it turned back on okay, still with 5.0. I got the notifiaction again and tried once more this morning but the same thing happened. Do any of you guys know why this might be?

Strange, my N4 updated to 5.0.1 no problem last night.

Do you have enough storage space? Tried downloading over wifi if you used mobile data?
    Forum Member
    johnathome wrote: »
    Strange, my N4 updated to 5.0.1 no problem last night.

Do you have enough storage space? Tried downloading over wifi if you used mobile data?

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I should have enough space, it says I have 668MB and it's only a small update so I'm not sure why its doing it. I tried downloading it via WiFi, so im opposite to your suggestion, I'll try and use mobile data, maybe that'll work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got 5.0.1 on my N5 tonight. It's about 14MB so there really can't be many changes at all!
    Forum Member
    I tried it again 10 minutes ago, same problem :(
  • charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got the update on my nexus 4 and now it won't hold a charge. Seems to be sky go which is draining it. Battery fully drained in 6 hours with very little use. Is there a fix or will sky go have to go??
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think they pulled 5.0.1 for the Nexus 7 2012 - some sites are reporting that 5.0.2 is coming. The Factory image has been published but the OTA is still not showing so far. http://www.androidcentral.com/google-publishes-android-502-factory-image-nexus-7-2012
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    charger21 wrote: »
    Got the update on my nexus 4 and now it won't hold a charge. Seems to be sky go which is draining it. Battery fully drained in 6 hours with very little use. Is there a fix or will sky go have to go??
    The fix would be an update to sky go. I had a similar issue with a weather app.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the update still only available over the air on nexus products?
    I'm still waiting for the s5 to receive its own.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5.1 will be out in February 2015 will include the following fixes:

The same report also details a changelog of improvements and enhancements that it claims Android 5.1 will bring:

Silent mode added after missing on Android 5.0
    •General improvements in system stability
    •Improved RAM management
    •Fixes for sudden app closures
    •Improved battery management
    •Excessive consumption of network devices when used Wi-Fi fixed
    •Issues with wireless connections fixed
    •Problems with Okay Google function solved
    •Notifications problems solved
    •Some sound problems experience by certain devices fixed
    •Other improvements and changes
    •Changes in the Material Design colour palette

http://www.neowin.net/news/details-of-android-51-update-reportedly-revealed-along-with-release-date
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the update still only available over the air on nexus products?
    I'm still waiting for the s5 to receive its own.

The LG G3 and some Motorola devices have also received the update. Your S5 will get it early next year. Just read the issues that have cropped up with the 5.0 rollout (and with Apple's iOS 8 update) and you will see that this isn't something you want Samsung to rush.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    The LG G3 and some Motorola devices have also received the update. Your S5 will get it early next year. Just read the issues that have cropped up with the 5.0 rollout (and with Apple's iOS 8 update) and you will see that this isn't something you want Samsung to rush.

Samsung already have 5.0 out in Poland. 5.0.1 is being rolled out too.

http://www.ibtimes.com/android-50-lollipop-update-samsung-begin-sending-out-version-501-devices-early-2015-1763751