Options

Should cinemas be banned from showing 3D only versions of a film?

13»

Comments

• Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    Really. I saw Friday the 13th III and Jaws 3D in the 80s. Both used red/cyan anaglyph.

I saw both of them too and they were shown using the Polaroid system as intended.
    I can't imagine them being shown as anaglyphs: it wouldn't have been necessary as they movies were shot using one camera for showing on one projector.
    Colour anaglyphs have occasionally been tried on TV but they're usually awful.
    Where did you see them?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    If people who know they can't see 3D decide to pay over the odds and go see it any way, then who's really at fault?

Seriously? That's what you take away from it.

My point was there should be at least a few 2D screenings so those people can see the film as well, instead of being excluded...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can not see the joy in 3D. It ruins the film and wearing two pairs of glasses or one pair with a clip on just looks ridiculous.

You're in the dark, with a bunch of people who all look equally ridiculous and are facing the screen. How many people do you think are looking at you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously? That's what you take away from it.

My point was there should be at least a few 2D screenings so those people can see the film as well, instead of being excluded...

You're right, that was a bit harsh. I'm getting very right wing in my dotage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paace wrote: »
    I also hate 3D . Saw a film on demo in John Lewis and found it disturbing and not the way us humans are meant to view things.

Question: What makes a film 3D? Is it a special camera ?
    If it's filmed in 3D can it be successfully converted to 2D?

The best 3D movies are those made in the 1950s but seeing them on the big screen isn't easy. They were shot with large two camera rigs, with the lenses pointing at mirrors to get the two viewpoints sufficiently close together.
    Projection was usually via the Polaroid system using two synched projectors. This worked but it wasn't perfect and contributed to the end of the 50s 3D boom.
    When Robert Bernier perfected his single camera/projector system (Naturama) in 1953 no one wanted it and when it was finally used (as SpaceVision) in 1966 by Arch Oboler to make "The Bubble" the 3D stampede was long over.
    Fortunately similar systems were used in the 80s revival so the technology wasn't lost completely.

The best 50s combinations of good 3D + decent movie, based on those I've seen are:
    The Creature from the Black Lagoon
    House of Wax
    Inferno
    Dial M for Murder
    It Came from Outer Space
    Man in the Dark

For good 3D + totally crap movie:
    The Bubble (which has the best out of screen shot in history)
    Flesh for Frankenstein
    Friday the 13th. Part III

Best 80s
    Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone
    Love in 3D
    Parasite

Avoid like the plague:
    Treasure of the Four Crowns
    Comin' at Ya
    Emmanuelle IV

Several 50s 3D movies are available on 3D Blu-ray and they work very well. Sadly, the rights to many others (assuming all the elements still exist and can be located) are held by so many different people, many of whom have no interest in making use of them, that re-releases on screen or disc are few and far between.
    Sony also charge a fortune for a licence to use their Blu-ray encoding software, which doesn't exactly help matters.

3D movies were incredibly popular during the 50s and they (mostly) deserve to be remembered.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    last 3d film i saw i could see the bloody exit signs reflection behind me!

i dont detest 3d though, ill prioritise 2d though.