Options

Dr Who Audio and Books

Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So, I should probably stop listening to Led Zep every day on the tube, I was thinking of getting into the audio books, I've never heard a single one. also, the only books I ever read were when I was young, they were written by Terrance Dicks mainly, I can't even remember which ones I read.

So anyway, my question is , where do I start? There seem to be quite a few versions/publishers etc, is their a nice website out there I can use to references the collateral and start planning a way of going through some of the catalogue?

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I like the lengthy ones. "Shada" and "Wheel Of Ice".

"Cobwebs", "The Whispering Forest" and "Kiss Of Death" are also enjoyable.
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the lengthy ones. "Shada" and "Wheel Of Ice".

"Cobwebs", "The Whispering Forest" and "Kiss Of Death" are also enjoyable.

Thanks, but should the audio books be listened to in any specific order, or should I just dive in?
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The_Judge_ wrote: »
    Thanks, but should the audio books be listened to in any specific order, or should I just dive in?

I don't bother. Most are stand alone stories. Some have an arc but not all.
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't, haven't even stuck to one particular doctor.

Shada is certainly very good. Otherwise I enjoyed Demons Quest & Serpents Quest.
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this is my thread so sorry for linking to it but there's a few in here
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1918866
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I've just been getting into the audios myself. Started off with the 50th anniversary special The Light at the End a few weeks back, now working my way through the 40th anniversary story Zagreus from 2003 and Blood of the Daleks.

I don't think it really matters what order you listen in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Check out the Big Finish website, I would suggest they are the best place to start and can catalogue all the stories by Doctor etc for you. They really do have some unbelievably good stories! If you are starting with Big Finish and intend collecting them on CD, be aware that stories 1-50 will not be getting re-pressed on CD from now on, and will only be available as download. I believe several of the stories are already unavailable on CD.
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Seeing I is brilliant. Imho the books are better than the actual TV series because they stick to plot
  • Options
    Shane54Shane54 Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the Virgin New Adventures books. I was about 20 when they launched and so was pretentious enough for them to fit into the 'adult' version of Dr Who that they tried to capture when the TV series got cancelled.
    If you can get hold of them I'd skip the first few and start with Love and War. Benny is a great character and carries some of the weaker books..
    The best - The Highest Science, Human Nature, Damaged Goods - there was a lot of great stuff in that range and plenty of variety.
    Definitely worth reading up on if you don't know them.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really an audio but I was listening to The Myth Makers and as mentioned by others here, it works really amazingly well as just audio. I'd recommend that.

Recommending Big Finish is hard as most of the first 49 main range are at worst solid stories and at best really awesome. I think The Kingmaker remains my all time fave though.