Film 4 - free on Sky?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rai uno wrote:
    Why?

Charging ceased on 19th July.

They are now saving that £7 a month, so what's the problem?

Ok, Film4 subscriber feels happy they don't have to pay £7.00 per month.....I did subscribe to Film4 many moons ago but when they showed they movies , did they show any adverts , now its free; will they show adverts when the movies is on to attract revenues????
  • rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your guess is as good as mine - my guess is .......YES!

Lots more opportunities to go to the little boys'/girls' room, get a cup of tea or a tinny.
  • logjamlogjam Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Films are never on when you have time to watch them.
    You record them and fast-forward through the ads.
    I can't remember the last time I deliberately watched an advert.

EDIT: Just remembered - Golf GTI - 'singing in the rain ad'. - Great stuff !!
    http://www.visit4info.com/details.cfm?adid=20205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rai uno wrote:
    Your guess is as good as mine - my guess is .......YES!

Lots more opportunities to go to the little boys'/girls' room, get a cup of tea or a tinny.

i've got Sky+ so I can press the "pause" button if i wanted to do that :D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, what it must feel like to be rich :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rai uno wrote:
    Ah, what it must feel like to be rich :cool:

Sorry i'm I sounding "Big headed" here? ;):):D

As Robbie Williams said when he got the £80 million pound contract:

" i'm rich beyond my wildest dreams!" :D:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    deybid wrote:
    i've got Sky+ so I can press the "pause" button if i wanted to do that :D:D

I have a dvd recorder so I can press pause too :cool:
  • SmegSnotSmegSnot Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deybid wrote:
    Ok, Film4 subscriber feels happy they don't have to pay £7.00 per month.....I did subscribe to Film4 many moons ago but when they showed they movies , did they show any adverts , now its free; will they show adverts when the movies is on to attract revenues????

Yes, they are going to show adverts, every 20 mins during non-European films, so that's mainly American films. Adverts every 35 mins during European films.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    rai uno wrote:
    Why?

Charging ceased on 19th July.

They are now saving that £7 a month, so what's the problem?
    The problem is, despite what they say today, it'll become watered down and dumbed down to appeal to the masses, adverts will interrupt movies and eventually the better movies will debut first on their new subscription service which is set launch on ntl later in the year. Alas Sky is unable to offer true vod, which is why the better pay tv movie services (Filmflex, soon Film4) will always be exclusive to land-based technology.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shayla4 wrote:
    The problem is, despite what they say today, it'll become watered down and dumbed down to appeal to the masses, adverts will interrupt movies and eventually the better movies will debut first on their new subscription service which is set launch on ntl later in the year. Alas Sky is unable to offer true vod, which is why the better pay tv movie services (Filmflex, soon Film4) will always be exclusive to land-based technology.

I thought the reason behind SKY BROADBAND was to cover this very point and to look good at the same time!

I expect that sooner or later the SKY+ & SKY HD boxes will be able to access a form of VOD through the telephone line and download the relevant film/programme to the hard drive.

Having said that i'm only guessing so don't quote me on this!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Tobias. wrote:
    I thought the reason behind SKY BROADBAND was to cover this very point and to look good at the same time!

I expect that sooner or later the SKY+ & SKY HD boxes will be able to access a form of VOD through the telephone line and download the relevant film/programme to the hard drive.

Having said that i'm only guessing so don't quote me on this!
    Sky claim over 50% of customers don't even have a broadband connection in the home. Given that most taking up Sky's broadband deal will opt for the crippled 'free' offering and that the vast majority of customers will not have Sky+ anytime this decade it's fair to say that only a small minority of Sky customers would actually be able to benefit from such services.

If Sky meets its targets for 2010, it claims only 30% will have Sky broadband (lagging well behind BT & cable) and 25% Sky+, that's a whopping 70% of customers with no access to Sky's planned quasi-VOD service. It's certainly not in the same league as cable who currently offer thousands of vod titles to over 80% of digital cable customers today, and on target to reach most, if not all, by the year end.
  • HeinzHeinz Posts: 7,210
    Forum Member
    rai uno wrote:
    If not, 11.5 hours to go :D
    Now, it's less than 47 minutes (but, as I've got DTT too, I should give a d@mn)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a DTT box, but can only get MuX A (sometimes!).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is indeed FTA on satellite still, not just for the promos.
  • D-J-SD-J-S Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I removed my card and the picture was still showing, seems to be FTA and not FTV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thread title now needs to be changed.

It is Free to Air, ergo not "On Sky".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rai uno wrote:
    Thread title now needs to be changed.

It is Free to Air, ergo not "On Sky".

Or better still "on satellite".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite right! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knowing how most people think who have satellite, they probably think it is Sky that are letting them watch it for free!
  • wod1wod1 Posts: 6,152
    Forum Member
    yes people are brainwashed into the thinking satellite tv just means sky
  • RichardReesRichardRees Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shayla4 wrote:
    If Sky meets its targets for 2010, it claims only 30% will have Sky broadband (lagging well behind BT & cable) and 25% Sky+, that's a whopping 70% of customers with no access to Sky's planned quasi-VOD service. It's certainly not in the same league as cable who currently offer thousands of vod titles to over 80% of digital cable customers today, and on target to reach most, if not all, by the year end.
    Of course, if Sky meet all their targets for 2010, 30% of over 10 million exceeds 100% of the current level of digital cable customers.

ntl (by then to be rebranded Virign) will of course expect to increase the level of digital cable subscribers by then, but they haven't done so recently, and one can only expect the market to become somewhat more competitive between now and then, what with more competitive offers this year from Sky, BT and TalkTalk and no doubt others to come.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Of course, if Sky meet all their targets for 2010, 30% of over 10 million exceeds 100% of the current level of digital cable customers.
    It would not exceed the level of digital cable customers by 2010, nor the number of cable broadband subscribers, which itself is likely to exceed 5 million, offering 50Mb to 100Mb speeds and capable of delivering multiple HDTV streams to the home - Indeed NTL is currently testing 100Mb/s broadband today, but I digress. The fact remains that Sky will not, even if it meets its targets, be able to offer the majority of its customers a basic service that's already available to most digital cable customers today, and at entry level.
    ntl (by then to be rebranded Virign) will of course expect to increase the level of digital cable subscribers by then, but they haven't done so recently,
    NTL Telewest added 70,600 net digital cable subs in the first quarter of 2006 (Sky added roughly 40,000 net subs UK Wide in the same period) which although off-set by a similar decline in analogue cable suggests digital cable, where available, is growing faster than Sky.

The Virgin brand and an increased high street presence will further help increase uptake. The company is understood to be planning to launch up to 50 Virgin high street stores initially, the first of which opens on 29 July. The stores will eventually sell a package of broadband, cable tv, mobile and landline services. Virgin already has a further 119 stores within Virgin Megastores and WH Smith, with five more opening this year - these too will showcase all of Virgin's products.
    and one can only expect the market to become somewhat more competitive between now and then, what with more competitive offers this year from Sky, BT and TalkTalk and no doubt others to come.
    So far none of them, not even BT, have been able to compete with NTL Telewest who, with over 3m broadband subs, are bigger than BT Retail, AOL UK, Orange/Wanadoo, CPW etc. If anything, the bigger threat is to Sky and BT since the vast majority of Sky and ADSL customers are in non-cabled areas where rivals ISPs offering phone, broadband & iptv services have a better chance of competing. In cabled areas BT Retail is the 2nd largest ISP with roughly 10% market share compared to NTL Telewest's 50%+. Sky broadband is simply the latest in a long line of rivals reliant on BT's copper wire infrastructure, none of whom pose a serious threat to BT never mind cable.

It's also quite ironic that just when ntl finally launches a digital tv & broadband package which doesn't require a phone line (2 for £20) that Sky should become even more dependent on one. The growing emergence of no “telco” line required VoIP technology makes cable better placed than most to face the challenges of the future. Hence, the news that Ericsson will help NTL roll out a residential VoIP service which has already been installed and is undergoing testing ahead of launch.
  • D-J-SD-J-S Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble with cable is it's too restricted. I can't get access to Cable TV on my street. When I have enquired to NTL when could I expect to see cable being offered they have said there are no plans to lay cable in my area. My choice at the moment is either DTT or Satellite with a BT phone. So, a Sky package of TV plus Broadband is a really good deal for the likes of me at the moment. Will Homechoice ever branch out of London? If so, then that could be an option in the future.
  • crowning73crowning73 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    I know it's an old thread but it's relevant to my question, on 315 I have Film4HD, on 316 Film4+1, where is just Film4 (SD)?
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crowning73 wrote: »
    I know it's an old thread but it's relevant to my question, on 315 I have Film4HD, on 316 Film4+1, where is just Film4 (SD)?

On Ch324 ?