Options

I think the Sky update has cocked up my box...

davybhoydavybhoy Posts: 1,296
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi guys.

I have 2 boxes and the problem lies with my 2TB box with built in wireless, not the 1 that is about 4 years old! Anyway, I have read a lot on here about the update to R010.070.58.13P from R010.070.58.06P and how there was problems. Last night my box started making this weird clicking noise like it was struggling to read the hard drive and it became very slow. I turned it off and on at the wall and the noise stopped. I went to watch it a while ago and it wouldn't display any picture. I turned it off and on again and it still didn't work but was making the same noise as last night. I tried doing a forced update and that still didn't resolve it so I had to do a full system reset and lose everything. I checked the details and it has been upgraded to .13P from .06P (I appreciate this could have been me doing the manual update). Is it likely that the update has caused this problem or does anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Comments

• Options
    timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weird noises from the hard disk are never good. Could be the hard drive failing or a power issue and the hard drive is struggling to power up properly? I would be surprised if it was the update that caused this to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should have added that I can't set any recordings now or an error appears saying to contact Sky so I'm fairly sure the hard drive has had it. I rang them and it's still in warranty until November so free call out (Not that I ever pay anyway). This will be the second time that I have had my 2TB box replaced since it was installed last November...
  • Options
    NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds more like a hardware fault.
    Perhaps the drive is struggling to seek and the head is passing back and forth across the platter causing a clicking noise when it hits the limit.

Does your planner and live pause still work at all?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The planner works at a snails pace. Literally takes 3-4 seconds to go down a page and sometimes it just ay searching for listings whereas others have the listing. Regarding live pause, nope it doesn't work either...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a spare box but it has no recording facility, it's just a HD box. If I manage to scam a wireless connector from somewhere will I still have on demand?
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davybhoy wrote: »
    I have a spare box but it has no recording facility, it's just a HD box. If I manage to scam a wireless connector from somewhere will I still have on demand?

Sorry thats a no you need a hard drive in the box for Sky's progressive download on demand system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Sorry thats a no you need a hard drive in the box for Sky's progressive download on demand system.

Thanks. My brother has my spare Sky+HD box from a couple of years ago that he's now no longer using so I'll get that off him tomorrow too then :)