Options

Anti-gay London bus advertising campaign pulled by TfL

Comments

• Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    Their are plenty of cases where people have changed orientation after therapy or prayer and i'm sure you could find afew of them with most search engines.The main issue people have,from what i can gather,is not whether it can be done but more whether its right or wrong to be allowed to try to change someones sexual orientation.

There are plenty cases of Yeti sightings and Nigerian Princes who will take your money off you online too.

The fact that you even say that makes me think you are not only a liar, but maybe a trollsome <insert expletive> too.
    Frankly I think perpetrating such a lie not only should be illegal in advertising, but to say it too is akin to holocaust denial. It's killed people to say this to them.

People can think that's an over-reaction if they want, not bothered. You just proved this banning was right.
  • Options
    NosegayNosegay Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stateless wrote: »
    See my above post. In short, I think it's horrendous if anyone believes that homosexuality is so terrible that they should pray themselves out of it, or engage in vast amounts of psychotherapy in relation to it. Even the notion of this as an option implies that homosexuals are less than. We should be dedicating time to spreading compassion and understanding, not demonising people.

It isn't demonising. It is trying to get to the heart of someones sexuality. Many people have been abused as children and seek a way out of their distress. They deserve all of the help that they can get. Many people are dissatisfied with their sexual preferences. They also deserve help.
  • Options
    statelessstateless Posts: 1,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosegay wrote: »
    It isn't demonising. It is trying to get to the heart of someones sexuality. Many people have been abused as children and seek a way out of their distress. They deserve all of the help that they can get. Many people are dissatisfied with their sexual preferences. They also deserve help.

Would you encourage people to switch from straight to gay, if they felt dissatisfied with their heterosexuality?

Are you implying that many people are gay as a result of being abused?

How do you not see that you are again suggesting there is something grossly wrong with gay people, again with no basis in logic, fact or science.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    There are plenty cases of Yeti sightings and Nigerian Princes who will take your money off you online too.

The fact that you even say that makes me think you are not only a liar, but maybe a trollsome <insert expletive> too.
    Frankly I think perpetrating such a lie not only should be illegal in advertising, but to say it too is akin to holocaust denial. It's killed people to say this to them.

People can think that's an over-reaction if they want, not bothered. You just proved this banning was right.

As i said i'm not sure what exactly they were adverising but if its mearly the fact that people have changed their sexual orientation after therapy and/or prayer then i don't see an issue with it,it happens and someone not believing it isn't going to persuade me things i've seen weren't true.As i said,if you don't believe its possible then thats up to you but if you Google it you'll find people who believe it from personal experience and i think thats worth far more than any hypothesis.
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As i said i'm not sure what exactly they were adverising but if its mearly the fact that people have changed their sexual orientation after therapy and/or prayer then i don't see an issue with it,it happens and someone not believing it isn't going to persuade me things i've seen weren't true.As i said,if you don't believe its possible then thats up to you but if you Google it you'll find people who believe it from personal experience and i think thats worth far more than any hypothesis.

That's what they want people to think ;)

Any organisation offering to change people's sexual orientation should be banned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    That's what they want people to think ;)

Any organisation offering to change people's sexual orientation should be banned.

Why? Surely grown adults should be free to decide for themselves if they wan't to change something in their lives.
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why? Surely grown adults should be free to decide for themselves if they wan't to change something in their lives.

I can't see why any grown adult would wish to reject their genetic make up. That would be perverse and unnatural.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Nosegay wrote: »

it is demonising
    NARTH is a homophobic group so they'd tell any lie to get what they seek
  • Options
    Forum Member

you would support homophobes
    it's the homophobes to blame for the ex-gay lie
    it's the homophobes who make it hard for some to accept themselves
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see why any grown adult would wish to reject their genetic make up.

But it would be their choice, and I am not sure why you would want to ban it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see why any grown adult would wish to reject their genetic make up. That would be perverse and unnatural.

Just because you can't understand it doesn't give you the right to dictate what others can or can't do.If people want to try it then i see no sensible reason why they shouldn't be able to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you would support homophobes
    it's the homophobes to blame for the ex-gay lie
    it's the homophobes who make it hard for some to accept themselves

Oh please:yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because you can't understand it doesn't give you the right to dictate what others can or can't do.If people want to try it then i see no sensible reason why they shouldn't be able to.

If a person appeared to be having problems with heterosexual relationships, would you suggest that they should seek out changing their sexuality to homosexual, and engage in gay relationships?

Or would that be silly?
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yes, say it to me again. I clearly wasn't annoyed enough the first time.

I'd be right behind ex-gay therapy if it had a shred of proof behind it, believe me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If a person appeared to be having problems with heterosexual relationships, would you suggest that they should seek out changing their sexuality to homosexual, and engage in gay relationships?

Or would that be silly?

If someone claimed to have a genuine problem that they couldn't deal with then yes i would suggest they got help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If someone claimed to have a genuine problem that they couldn't deal with then yes i would suggest they got help.

And the help you suggested could possibly involve them switching from straight to gay?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    yes, say it to me again. I clearly wasn't annoyed enough the first time.

I'd be right behind ex-gay therapy if it had a shred of proof behind it, believe me.

I'm not sre what you were annoyed about so i can't really comment on that but if you want to hear/read peoples personal stories about their sexualities changing then i'm sure you're just as capable of using a search engine as most other people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the help you suggested could possibly involve them switching from straight to gay?

I wouldn't suggest what help they should get but if they were genuinely having problems i would ofcourse suggest they get help from somewhere rather than just suffering in silence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh please:yawn:

You would deny that the homophobes are why people feel the ex-gay lie may work and why there is any negativity.
    You must have gotten most of your post-count supporting homophobia
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't suggest what help they should get but if they were genuinely having problems i would ofcourse suggest they get help from somewhere rather than just suffering in silence.

It's interesting that you shy away from saying that someone struggling with their heterosexual attraction might want to seek to change it, but are less cagey about the reverse occurring. It's almost as if you're applying your own standard to these attractions and letting that impact action you think others should take ;).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not sre what you were annoyed about so i can't really comment on that but if you want to hear/read peoples personal stories about their sexualities changing then i'm sure you're just as capable of using a search engine as most other people.

It's all lies so there's no point
    It's not respected by decent and respected psychologists
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's interesting that you shy away from saying that someone struggling with their heterosexual attraction might want to seek to change it, but are less cagey about the reverse occurring. It's almost as if you're applying your own standard to these attractions and letting that impact action you think others should take ;).

As i said if someone has a problem they can't cope with i would suggest they get help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all lies so there's no point
    It's not respected by decent and respected psychologists

Thanks for your opinion.....................:yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As i said if someone has a problem they can't cope with i would suggest they get help.

Only problem is your stance appears to be;

1. Homosexual person doesn't want to be homosexual - they should get help to become straight

2. Heterosexual person doesn't want to be heterosexual - they should get "help"

Why the difference?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, if someone is heterosexual and they have a problem they should seek help. As should a gay person. The first step is recognising what the problem is. From your skirting around, you appear to understand the absurdity of a person viewing their straight sexual preference as the problem that needs to be changed. Maybe you can expand that knowledge to people whose sexuality is something other than heterosexual.