New Kindle now for £109/149. Absolute bargain.

Comments

• Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The subscriptions renew monthly but I think the delivered items are still available even after the subscription is canceled if you save them on your Kindle.

Thanks. They have now stated that it is monthly next to the subscription price.
  • khakidrillkhakidrill Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I'll try the free newspaper (DM) subscription trial but unfortunately they say they will not have the full newspaper available ,including the crossword which is my main reason for buying the paper edition.

My Kindle order was 31 July and the order summary states despatch 4-6 Oct, the order detail page says they cannot give me any despatch date details and the website states orders now will be despatched by Sept 8.
    Will I get it for Xmas?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    khakidrill wrote: »
    I'll try the free newspaper (DM) subscription trial but unfortunately they say they will not have the full newspaper available ,including the crossword which is my main reason for buying the paper edition.

My Kindle order was 31 July and the order summary states despatch 4-6 Oct, the order detail page says they cannot give me any despatch date details and the website states orders now will be despatched by Sept 8.
    Will I get it for Xmas?

Yes apparently according to customer services this is the situation:

If you ordered before 12 pm on August the 1st your kindle will be dispatched on August the 27th (That will be you khakidrill)

If you ordered after 12pm on August the 1st but before midnight on August the 5th your device will be dispatched on or before September the 4th.

If you ordered after midnight on august the 5th your device will be shipped after September the 4th but on or before September the 8th.

Lets hope this holds true.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    khakidrill wrote: »

Will I get it for Xmas?

EDIT: Another post appeared while I was replying
  • khakidrillkhakidrill Posts: 376
    Forum Member

Lets hope this holds true.

Thanks for the info---I'll just hope & I'll try to be patient.
  • J105J105 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just placed an order for the Kindle.......no delivery date given,that i could see.....cant wait to finally get one of these for myself :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends what type of user you are. If you are a huge book reader then the Kindle is probably the best you can get and at this price it is a steal, I thought the Kindle was way over priced beforehand for just a book reader.

Personally I am not a big reader so the iPad makes a lot more sense as it can do a whole lot more than just books. My fiancé is interested in the Kindle so if she buys one hopefully I can get to have a play with it anyway.

The Kindle doesn't need to compete with tablets though. It just needs to be a great book reader and it will always beat out the iPad and other tablets as a book reader, I just hope Amazon doesn't starting filling it with loads of crap like an app store to try and compete with iPad because then I think it will fail.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ipad looks really nice but I dont know what I'd use it for considering I have an iphone and I carry it about with me all the time. I know the ipad has a bigger screen so would be better for surfing the net and watching videos but I don't think I would take it out of the house because its too big. Then if I was only going to use it at home I wouldnt see the point because I have a laptop to use there.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw woman on a train using ipad, looking very smug :D I thought it was too big to carry around, my PRS 300 reader is just the right size to put in my bag.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I saw woman on a train using ipad, looking very smug :D I thought it was too big to carry around, my PRS 300 reader is just the right size to put in my bag.

I'd be scared of getting mugged if I took an ipad out on the train. Yes the 300 is really good for carrying around, it's so compact I barely even notice it's there most of the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mainly keep my iPad at home. I only take it with me if I go on holiday or something. If I had a long commute then I would probably take it on the train. It is useful at home because most of the time I do not need to be at my desk to browse the web etc.

How big is the Kindle? My fiancé has just ordered one. I think she would like to put it in her handbag or something when she goes to work in the morning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new 6'' Kindle is 190 mm x 123 mm x 8.5 mm, which is OK to carry around, you only need some case for protection for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new kindle looks pretty compact and I think it would be something you could put in your bag with a case as Ivan said.

Here is a video, so you can get an idea of it's size:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs755bLrOvg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new kindle looks pretty compact and I think it would be something you could put in your bag with a case as Ivan said.

Here is a video, so you can get an idea of it's size:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs755bLrOvg

Awww, it looks pretty. I think I do need one after all :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awww, it looks pretty. I think I do need one after all :D

Yea, that video did it for me. It does look really nice for a kindle:)

Now you've made me feel less guilty:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't get why people like the kindle so much. I want an eReader and will be getting one soon, but if I'm reading a book why do I want a full qwerty keyboard??? just makes the device look ugly and will get in the way of it been as portable as it could be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's because you can download books to it directly from amazon without synchronising the Kindle with PC, so you must be able to search and choose the book. The previous version had a bigger keyboard, I find this one acceptable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For downloading books why not design a Kindle only website that can be navigated and searched using just a few directional keys? why force me to have a keyboard in the way all the time I'm using the device for it's main purpose of reading? or a fold out keyboard for the few times I might need it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well you would still need the keyboard to be able to put the names of books into the search bar. Apart from having a pull out keyboard as you said, the only alternative would be to make it touch screen and have an on screen keyboard, although I wouldnt be keen on a touch screen e-reader.

However I do think the keyboard on the new kindle is acceptable. It's not clunky and doesnt get in the way. Previous models were awful imo.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I just ordered one. I have been looking for a cheap e reader.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just noticed Waterstones has the Sony prs-300 for £99. Guess the Kindle is good for one thing, lowering the prices of other readers. Still I want a 6" screen and the Sony 6" screen is touch screen not sure on that for a reader.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sony has a touchscreen reader, but it's better be avoided IMO. This Kindle keyboard is OK, I think. If you compare it with let's say PRS300, it's about the same space taken for the buttons even if Sony has less of them. And if you use some kind of case there are many ways to comfortably hold it without accidently touching the keys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alcdrew wrote: »
    Just noticed Waterstones has the Sony prs-300 for £99. Guess the Kindle is good for one thing, lowering the prices of other readers. Still I want a 6" screen and the Sony 6" screen is touch screen not sure on that for a reader.

If you want 6'' screen, try look around for the old PRS505, it's still considered the best Sony reader by many. PRS300 is fine, I thought the screen was too small, too, but no, it's OK, you just have to hit the Next page button more often. If your books are text only without pictures, I think you'd be more than happy with PRS300.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want 6'' screen, try look around for the old PRS505, it's still considered the best Sony reader by many. PRS300 is fine, I thought the screen was too small, too, but no, it's OK, you just have to hit the Next page button more often. If your books are text only without pictures, I think you'd be more than happy with PRS300.

It's a shame Sony have stopped selling the prs-505. It's the only other Sony I'd consider buying (obviously I dont need it) but it beats the 600,700 and 900 imo. I like to think of the 300 as a smaller version of the 505. It's almost as good.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know this is a Kindle thread, hopefully someone here can fill in a few gaps in my research into which eBook reader is best for me. I have a shortlist of 2, the new Kindle and the iRiver Story (non-WiFi).

One of the things that puts me off the Kindle is being locked into Amazon, but at that price... Has anyone had any experience of both the Story and Kindle that they would like to share?