Sick with flu..

Comments

• Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    No it's actual flu with fever, shivers, fatigue..but can't sleep coz my head hurts too much. And to think NYE is just around the corner:(

My sons like that at the moment. He was still up when I got up for work at 4. He's alseep now though. The temperature is worse at night isn't it. I dosed him up with Ibuprofen just before I left, so I knew it would see him through until later.
    I dont expect he'll get up for hours now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    m06een00 wrote: »
    This is the whole problem. People go to work/school with a running temperature, and infect everyone else within their sight. You can't be productive if you have the flu anyway as you feel bloody awful. There's also a good chance you will develop pneumonia if you try to ignore the flu, which would almost cetainly mean an intensive care stay in hospital.

If you have the flu stay at home in bed and away from as many people as possible until your temperature drops and stays down without paracetamol.

Only trouble is, the schools kick off if they have too much time off. I actually didn't send my son the last week of term, he was too ill anyway, but I am hoping this next bout of the same thing he has now will be gone by the time they go back next week, or I can see them sending us nasty letters!
    That's probably why people send them into school with illnesses. Same for work, we get disciplinaries if we have more than a couple of days off in so many months.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This "another cold, or is it flu ?" controversy can perhaps be best explained by appreciating that there are many viruses about which cause flu like symptoms, that are unpleasant, but fall short of full blown flu. They are often referred to as "feverish colds"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only trouble is, the schools kick off if they have too much time off. I actually didn't send my son the last week of term, he was too ill anyway, but I am hoping this next bout of the same thing he has now will be gone by the time they go back next week, or I can see them sending us nasty letters!
    That's probably why people send them into school with illnesses. Same for work, we get disciplinaries if we have more than a couple of days off in so many months.

You've highlighted one of the reasons why infections are spreading so quickly these days. Absurdly rigid and draconian reactions to sick leave.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    The good news is, if you're managing to post on DS, you don't have flu.

A nice example of over-generalisation there. I've been fortunate and have only had flu once and it was awful, and there were a couple of days when I could do very little. There was one day where I was dizzy lying down, never mind trying to sit up!

Sure, I couldn't have posted on that day, and there were a couple of days when I definitely wouldn't have felt like it, but that's a few days out of the total number I would have been off with the flu.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    This "another cold, or is it flu ?" controversy can perhaps be best explained by appreciating that there are many viruses about which cause flu like symptoms, that are unpleasant, but fall short of full blown flu. They are often referred to as "feverish colds"

Yep, it was only after having experienced flu that I realised that all the other times I thought I'd had it I hadn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've highlighted one of the reasons why infections are spreading so quickly these days. Absurdly rigid and draconian reactions to sick leave.

And the hassle of doing the 'back to work interview' even after only one day off.
    I dont even know if I get sick pay yet, I have been there just over 2 years now, so in theory I should. But being a single parent, sole earner, would have me going to work as much as possible.
    I'll find out tomorrow if I get sick pay now, for a day off at the begining of december.
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    A nice example of over-generalisation there. I've been fortunate and have only had flu once and it was awful, and there were a couple of days when I could do very little. There was one day where I was dizzy lying down, never mind trying to sit up!

Sure, I couldn't have posted on that day, and there were a couple of days when I definitely wouldn't have felt like it, but that's a few days out of the total number I would have been off with the flu.

The one time I have had the flu was Christmas 97. I was in bed for 10 days, didn't do anything else other than lie there.

I'd got a Playstation as present that year, it was the first weekend in January before I'd even got it out of the box.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As well as Employers insisting on Doctors notes. When we are told to stay away from Doctors surgerys when we have the Flu. So we have to go to the doctors and spread it around the waiting room too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the hassle of doing the 'back to work interview' even after only one day off.
    I dont even know if I get sick pay yet, I have been there just over 2 years now, so in theory I should. But being a single parent, sole earner, would have me going to work as much as possible.
    I'll find out tomorrow if I get sick pay now, for a day off at the begining of december.

Good luck with that.

Yes, the dreaded "back to work" interview, which I have to do as a manager. We have a ticklist of things to ask and say, which are so transparently obvious that it turns the interview into a mockery.

When someone has been off for one day with something they went home ill with the day before that, it's stunningly obvious what the problem was, and that they are now over it. Yet we have to go through this ridicuous charade every time.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    You couldn't with flu. Seeing, typing, thinking about your post. Far too much effort if you have flu.

Things you can do with flu, lie in bed, be sick, wish you were dead. That's pretty much it.

Completely, knocked me sideways, never experienced anything like it before and NEVER want to again, first week thinking I was dying, second week wishing I had
  • gaz141gaz141 Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My work pays an end of year bonus to people who have not taken any sick leave in the year, which can be a good or a bad thing, but last week there were quite a few sick people in the office who had not been off the whole year and did not want to lose their bonus this late in the year who came into work with raging fevers, sneezing and coughing. I don't blame them but result was I spent Christmas in bed feeling like sh*t and had to cancel my plans and am only now feeling a bit better
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck with that.

Yes, the dreaded "back to work" interview, which I have to do as a manager. We have a ticklist of things to ask and say, which are so transparently obvious that it turns the interview into a mockery.

When someone has been off for one day with something they went home ill with the day before that, it's stunningly obvious what the problem was, and that they are now over it. Yet we have to go through this ridicuous charade every time.

Cheers, it will be a bonus really, because I am used to not getting paid. Only had about 4 or 5 days in the last 2 years.
    But I cant imagine getting paid sick. But we'll see.
  • Sharona68Sharona68 Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there are varying degrees of flu
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    Resonance wrote: »
    Anyone who claims they have flu and can still post on the internet have never experienced flu :p

Absolutely spot on. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i remember when i had flu about 4 years ago i stayed in bed for 5 days onli gettin up for the toilet n washs etc and even just moving my little toe ached every single bone in my body was hurting etc
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, I don't know anyone who can't eat and sleeps for 3 days solid when suffering from nothing more than a common cold. I suggest you have been suffering from a flu virus, whether you admit it or not.

We need a catchphrase for flu deniers. Woman-cold perhaps? :p

Well, I haven't been on Facebook in all that time so maybe I did have it?;)

I woke up about an hour ago and feel a lot better. Still not managed to eat anything as I'm not hungry(?!?!) but this cuppa tea has never tasted so good :D

And out of curiosity after reading posts on here about weight loss I just weighed myself. I've lost half a stone :D Bonus:p
  • bridgetbbridgetb Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a rotton cold. It's the headache and pain behind my eyes that's the worst. Also running nose and cough...really tired all the time too. Supposed to be going out for beers and curry tonight but just don't feel like it :mad:
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again with all the doctors on DS telling us what we can and can't do when you have flu. I have just had flu, and yet managed to come on the computer, I even managed to get myself to the doctors, where they diagnosed me with flu, and a bacterial infection as well. Yes, I was knackered, and felt like crap, but it is possible to get out of bed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QTC13 wrote: »
    Well, I haven't been on Facebook in all that time so maybe I did have it?;)

I woke up about an hour ago and feel a lot better. Still not managed to eat anything as I'm not hungry(?!?!) but this cuppa tea has never tasted so good :D

And out of curiosity after reading posts on here about weight loss I just weighed myself. I've lost half a stone :D Bonus:p

Right, that's it, I need to get me some of this here flu :mad:
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, that's it, I need to get me some of this here flu :mad:

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh It's a C O L D:p:p:p:p:p:p:p
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    Indeed.Anyone with flu would not be able to lift their head off the pillow, let alone post on here.

I've had flu once in my life. I lost a stone in weight and have never felt so close to death.

People claim they have flu, when they have nothing more than a bad cold. There is a BIG difference.

The difference between cold and flu. If there was £50,000 outside your front door.....flu you would not be able to retrieve it....cold you easily would.

I think you're wasting your time ..... unfortunately.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    As well as Employers insisting on Doctors notes. When we are told to stay away from Doctors surgerys when we have the Flu. So we have to go to the doctors and spread it around the waiting room too.

They do say, don't they, that these viruses can live for more than 24 hours on surfaces, and are often caught by people who touch them, and then put their hand to their nose or eyes. For this reason, also count hot desking as another means of spreading the viruses.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    I've got a ridiculous cold, but no flu this year thank god.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    currently getting over my dose of flu, had it all over xmas and have been bed bound for most of the week. It's been a while since I've had proper flu but this one has been really nasty. Currently not able to talk as I've lost my voice through hacking. :mad: