I wish i wasnt so arachnophobic..

BurstfireBurstfire Posts: 980
Forum Member
✭✭
So its hot weather now and i just walked into the garage to get a beer and Oh Shit! huge mother of a spider on the wall.

My housemate casually picks it up with tissue and throws it out, im like how on earth can you do that and not be bothered by it??

Are there courses for this sort of thing? and do they work?

its bugging me now as i don't think ill ever be able to live on my own if i saw one i would die.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel your pain!

I'm severely arachnophobic, I've had some very OTT panic attacks because of them and one time my husband had to race home from work because I called him in hysterics when this one huge mother of a tarantula was in my front room!

I legged it upstairs, he came in and couldn't find the damn thing so I stood at the top of the stairs to tell him where it was and then screamed my head of cos it was running up the stairs towards me!! I swear they can smell fear.....

Anyway we don't get many as I think word has spread that if they come into my house they die....but I dread the day I'm alone and one appears.

I hate, hate, hate them with a fiery vengeance.
  • jules_cjules_c Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Don't know about the courses, but we have an ultrasonic spider repellent which works like a dream! Haven't seen a spider in the house in the two years that we have had it! A bit pricey for a good one, but they do work! (Honest, says a complete spider-o-phobe!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be scared of spiders but I also hate to see anything being killed and when I was a teacher it used to upset me to see pupils have such disregard for life (in whatever form) that they would gleefully stamp on spiders. One day in between lessons there was a commotion in the corridor with the girls screaming about a spider and some boys about to stamp on it, I couldn't bear it anymore so I went over, swallowed my fear and picked the spider up and gave the assembled students a lecture about not being afraid of a little spider and also having respect for life. I found it got easier and easier each time I 'rescued' a spider and now I actually quite like them. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruby Shoes wrote: »
    I used to be scared of spiders but I also hate to see anything being killed and when I was a teacher it used to upset me to see pupils have such disregard for life (in whatever form) that they would gleefully stamp on spiders. One day in between lessons there was a commotion in the corridor with the girls screaming about a spider and some boys about to stamp on it, I couldn't bear it anymore so I went over, swallowed my fear and picked the spider up and gave the assembled students a lecture about not being afraid of a little spider and also having respect for life. I found it got easier and easier each time I 'rescued' a spider and now I actually quite like them. :)

That's really brilliant that you managed to overcome your fear :) but I am so scared of them I couldn't do it. I like the idea of the spider-repellant thingey - may have to get me one of those! I think you can get hypnotised against arachnophobia.....?
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    I wanted a spider as a pet,
    So went to a pet shop,
    They wanted £50 for one
    I said "no way, I could get one cheaper off the web"
  • BurstfireBurstfire Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ruby Shoes wrote: »

I see where you're coming from, i started throwing really tiny ones out. sort of practising on them if you like.

Then i went slightly bigger and tried it that way, although progress hasnt gone very far tbh.
    I can deal with small ones now but anything over medium sized and i freak.
  • LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be scared shitless, got over it after an enlightening encounter.

Giant spinder comes in, young self doesn't think to get a glass or anything and remove it- squash it with issue #39 of Official Playstation Magazine. It made a nice crunch but left a mess on the wall, from that day on I understand I was infinitely more powerful than spider.

Moths on the other hand still scare me.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Burstfire wrote: »
    My housemate casually picks it up with tissue and throws it out

Picking it up with a tissue?

What a wuss. :rolleyes:
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    jules_c wrote: »
    Don't know about the courses, but we have an ultrasonic spider repellent which works like a dream! Haven't seen a spider in the house in the two years that we have had it! A bit pricey for a good one, but they do work! (Honest, says a complete spider-o-phobe!)

I really need one of those! Like others in this thread, I am terrified. I know they can't hurt me (in this country at least!) and that I am bigger and more powerful, but they really do reduce me to a wreck.

Where did you get yours from, and what make is it?
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The warmer temps are certainly bringing the little buggers out.

I pulled the duvet back the other night to get in to bed and a spider ran under the pillow (it must have been on top of the duvet) Spent ages trying to find it, but no luck. The bastard is still in there somewhere. I have given up looking now.
  • jules_cjules_c Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jules_c View Post
    I really need one of those! Like others in this thread, I am terrified. I know they can't hurt me (in this country at least!) and that I am bigger and more powerful, but they really do reduce me to a wreck.
    Where did you get yours from, and what make is it?

Unfortunately, they don't seem to do the one we have anymore, but we picked ours up from Amazon. I'm so scared that even seeing a picture in a paper means I throw the paper across the room, so I can understand your problem!
  • WhiteFangWhiteFang Posts: 3,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My advice is .Start with smaller spiders / ones that dont look so scary .Maybe befriend one in a shed and give it a name ..One thats got a web so you can feed it small flies / visit it and see how its doing .Then graduate to larger ones .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    The warmer temps are certainly bringing the little buggers out.

I pulled the duvet back the other night to get in to bed and a spider ran under the pillow (it must have been on top of the duvet) Spent ages trying to find it, but no luck. The bastard is still in there somewhere. I have given up looking now.

I would not have been able to sleep in that bed till it had been stripped and washed! :o
    Even then I'd have felt really uncomfortable in it.

Some people put conkers in the corners of there rooms as thats supposed to stop them coming in. Have no idea if it works or not. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrified. I was hypnotised but it didnt work. I thought we were safe at this time of year? Youve got me going now. :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NatalieP wrote: »
    I feel your pain!

I'm severely arachnophobic, I've had some very OTT panic attacks because of them and one time my husband had to race home from work because I called him in hysterics when this one huge mother of a tarantula was in my front room!

I legged it upstairs, he came in and couldn't find the damn thing so I stood at the top of the stairs to tell him where it was and then screamed my head of cos it was running up the stairs towards me!! I swear they can smell fear.....

Anyway we don't get many as I think word has spread that if they come into my house they die....but I dread the day I'm alone and one appears.

I know I shouldn't but I find this story quite amusing - probably because I'm able to relate to it!

I have been known to sleep in the spare room if I've seen a spider in my room which suddenly disappears. :p
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NatalieP wrote: »
    I feel your pain!

I'm severely arachnophobic, I've had some very OTT panic attacks because of them and one time my husband had to race home from work because I called him in hysterics when this microscopic money maker spider was in my front room!

I legged it upstairs, he came in and couldn't find the damn thing so I stood at the top of the stairs to tell him where it was and then screamed my head of cos it was casually crawing around looking for flies

:D Sorry.
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah had this one in the bath the other day, and I recognized the markings as a fake widow spider. The kind of sister of the black widow but nowhere near as poisonous but still has a venomous bite. So I killed it because it was a hazard in my view to get accidentally get bit by one.

edit- oops it wasn't a Steatoda nobilis as I thought it was.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    I'm terrified of them too. I couldn't possibly remove one from a room myself, but I did once squish one by dropping my mam's boot on it :D
    I leg it out of the room if I see one and get someone else to get rid of it. Last year there was one in my bedroom and my parents couldn't find it, I couldn't sleep in the room.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    I wanted a spider as a pet,
    So went to a pet shop,
    They wanted £50 for one
    I said "no way, I could get one cheaper off the web"

:D

Oh spring, I love your warmth, and then you go shower spiders over us! I was startled by a large one last night. It was dangling from the ceiling, hovering above the bath, its spindly legs flexing acrobatically. It looked kind of beautiful in a way, but still inexplicably terrifying. I wonder why we are programmed to fear them?

I'm not sure where it's off to now. Apparently they're good to have around the house to get rid of pests... but if only the poor spider itself wasn't considered such a pest. I'm against killing them, but I know someone who has a spider vacuum thing which harmlessly displaces them out the home. I may be borrowing it for a bit...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are courses of behavoural therapy that you can do to overcome arachnophobia - you could try an online search in your area for a private CBT therapist who practises these - they are often done in groups.

Also I think some zoos offer these courses - I believe London Zoo at least at one point was running something like a one day course so might be worth trying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D Sorry.

Ha ha ha, you git!!! :D:D

I'm telling you, it was huge - even my hubby was a bit shocked!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I'm terrified of spiders as well. We bought a contraption called a spider catcher - its basically like a long tube with a trigger and handle to hold. You place the end of the tube over the spider then press the trigger. The spider gets sucked into the tube (well away from your hands though). Then you can take it outside and release it humanely.

Think we got ours from lakeland limited (you can buy from them online). I'd highly recommend them!
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't throw spiders out of the house.

I've got half a dozen, living behind my computer desk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bean33 wrote: »
    I'm terrified of spiders as well. We bought a contraption called a spider catcher - its basically like a long tube with a trigger and handle to hold. You place the end of the tube over the spider then press the trigger. The spider gets sucked into the tube (well away from your hands though). Then you can take it outside and release it humanely.

Think we got ours from lakeland limited (you can buy from them online). I'd highly recommend them!

Yes - but that would require you to get somewhat near them and my instant reaction is to RUN.......FAR AWAY!!!!! :D