Ebay allow sellers to mock child abuse

2»

Comments

• SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure Ebay can be blamed, they can't monitor every item that's listed and do seem to rely on users reporting things. Of course if it stays listed after people have reported it, that's a different matter.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they newly manufactured or of the era? And does it matter?
  • MacLovinMacLovin Posts: 2,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Are they newly manufactured or of the era? And does it matter?

Newly manufactured
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MacLovin wrote: »
    This 'seller' is using ebay to mock child abuse:mad:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Big-Jock-Knew-Badge-Rangers-Hearts-Motherwell-Ultras-Loyalists-/320902373846?pt=UK_SportsMemorabilia_Football_Memorabilia_ET&hash=item4ab745a1d6#ht_500wt_949

The badge refers to Jim Torbett who was a youth coach at Celtic football club in the early 70's who was convicted of child abuse at that time. The badge makes out that Celtic and Scotland manager Jock Stein knew about this and never said anything. The latter is simply untrue but is a common inuendo used by fans of glasgow rangers to point score.

Apparently they think child abuse is funny and it appears Ebay think so too.

he did know about it and didnt report it to the police, how could he kick jim torbett out of the club if he didnt know?
  • MacLovinMacLovin Posts: 2,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robo2 wrote: »
    he did know about it and didnt report it to the police, how could he kick jim torbett out of the club if he didnt know?

And you know this for fact do you ?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure Ebay can be blamed, they can't monitor every item that's listed and do seem to rely on users reporting things. Of course if it stays listed after people have reported it, that's a different matter.

If I had a pound for every item on eBay I'd be absolutely loaded! It would probably cost an absolute fortune to hire enough people to monitor newly listed items. The reason for eBay not doing this is probably down to money.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    I never said the seller had 8000 feedback for that one item. Anyway coming from Manchester I thought you would know all about the dignified rangers supporters.

You said "What's wrong with these people" after mentioning he has a feedback rating over 8000 implying that the seller should know better? Fact is for that person, they probably just got stock or boxes of a load of old badges and pins and threw them all on ebay, they probably don't even know what it's a reference to in the same way they wouldn't support every football team they're selling a badge of!

And no, I don't really follow Football, and I didn't even know what the badge was a reference to until I read this thread.
  • Union JockUnion Jock Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member
    I see the sellers name is firhill_blue, there's Firhill stadium in Glasgow.
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And you know this for fact do you ?

its reported as fact on every celtic forum there is, heres the report from the junglebhoys site by a celtic historian, it was also stated at torbetts trial by numerous sources including billy mcneil

"According to insider information - and I have heard it from those whose word I would trust - the matter was eventually raised semi-officially inside Celtic Park. Torbett was called to a meeting at the ground. Apparently, Jock Stein - a man whose instincts were invariably right, and a man not noted for his patience - demanded explanations, found them halting and unconvincing and literally kicked the Boys Club founder out the door.

When I use the word literally, I mean it. I have been assured that Jock Stein kicked him on the backside as he was leaving the room"

http://www.thejunglebhoys.net/jb/?p=269

Tom Campbell and reproduced from Issue Seven of the Welcome to Paradise Fanzine, here are the guys books
    Celtic’s Paranoia: £12.00
    Tears in Argentina: £12.00
    Charlie Tully: £17.00
    Celtic: the Encyclopaedia: £20.00