Soaps and one parent families

2»

Comments

• Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And when we get a wedding, it is always spoiled in some way. It would be lovely to see a real wedding with a dignfied service, pretty dresses, lovely flowers, great reception..........
  • Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    The total lack of nuclear families (or indeed married couples in EE) is pretty jarring. I hope the new family to be introduced to EE later this year helps to rectify this. Having said that, it would only be a matter of time before newcomers who have been happily married for years suddenly turn to the latest sex symbol for a cheap thrill or go through some form of major story that leads to separation.

The only soap that is good at maintaining nuclear families is Neighbours. We've currently got Karl and Susan and Matt and Lauren and until very recently we also had Ajay and Priya and very soon will have returnee Brad and his wife Terese. All couples are married with teenage/adult children together and considering Neighbours only has a cast of about twenty three long time married couples isn't bad going.

Neighbours has always been good at maintaining married couples, whenever they introduce a new family they tend to always be a nuclear family with a husband and wife whereas the other soaps tend to always introduce single parent families.
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AngiBear wrote: »
    Just when I was thinking about Corrie last night. After Tyrone split with Kirsty he is yet another one parent family then I was thinking how a lot of the soaps have one parent families more than happy family units. I wonder if this in intentional or whether writers think it will make for better, more dramatic viewing?

Corrie:

Tyrone with Rubbeh
    Fiz with Hope
    Katy with Joseph
    Maria with Liam
    Anna with Gary/Faye
    Tracy with Amy
    Eileen with Jason/Todd
    Stella with Eva/Leanne
    Leanne with Simon
    Beth with Craig

What are these 'Happy Family Units' you are talking about. Is it mum,dad and 2.4 children?
    Do they have a monopoly on happiness?

I came from a one parent family and we were very happy.
    I daresay we were a lot happier just being brought up by my mum than living in a house with two parents who loathed eachother.

As for claiming benefits,my mum never took a penny from the state ( apart from our free school meals).
    We managed and we were very happy.
    Btw,I'm now in a long-term marriage (27 years) and my family and I are very happy,but I'm well aware that it's not the only route to happiness.