LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 30)

Comments

• karen tracekaren trace Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    NF is frequently heralded as a skillful and professional presenter but I don't see it. This morning he asked several callers a question and then talked over and under their answers making childish jokes accompanied by his wheezy chortle . Some might call this behavior playful but I find it irritating.
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tommy2tee wrote: »
    Is that a week or per day?

.. per minute :D

They are over the whole quarter, obviously averaged out.
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just thought that I would post something favourable about LBC :D:D:p

That is very daring of you ;-) Any more of that and I will report you to the mods :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NF is frequently heralded as a skillful and professional presenter but I don't see it. This morning he asked several callers a question and then talked over and under their answers making childish jokes accompanied by his wheezy chortle . Some might call this behavior playful but I find it irritating.

Couldn't agree more. His juvenile delight in the lateness of Blair's Q&A earlier this week was pathetic and, believe me, I'm no fan of the vainglorious war criminal. But the most irritating thing for me is the long introduction followed by a question and only then a hasty a 'good morning' for the guest. He's red top through and through but has this weird belief that he is a serious, probing journalist.
  • Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was listening to James O'Brien yesterday. :eek:

I noted his FORCED stuttering was in overdrive, and he has an annoying habit of saying 'lickle' instead of 'little'.

Why would anyone force a stutter? :confused:

He probably forgets that he's not talking to one of the Brianettes.
    Forum Member
    Couldn't agree more. His juvenile delight in the lateness of Blair's Q&A earlier this week was pathetic and, believe me, I'm no fan of the vainglorious war criminal. But the most irritating thing for me is the long introduction followed by a question and only then a hasty a 'good morning' for the guest. He's red top through and through but has this weird belief that he is a serious, probing journalist.

How many times does he explain to listeners the meaning of journalistic terminology such as 'splash' or 'fold'? He does believe he was born a journalist and that listeners do not understand these complicated words
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

................. SA has a repulsive false laugh which makes my skin crawl. .........

Doesn't he just! Really awful to listen to.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many times does he explain to listeners the meaning of journalistic terminology such as 'splash' or 'fold'? He does believe he was born a journalist and that listeners do not understand these complicated words

BIB: He practically was. His father ran a press agency from home and NF was involved right from when he was a kid.

http://www.ferraripress.com/about.php
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would add to that:
    About a year ago I heard him take 2 calls from people with a very noticable stutter within a 15 minute period. His impatience seemed obvious and after talking over them more than once, he ended the calls quickly. Nice.
    When he tried to bully union boss Steven Hedley last year he got a taste of his own medicine and sounded like he was going to burst into tears.

Complete this sentence: "When they are pushed....an adult Bully always turns out to be a ......"

Surely I can find something positive to say about NF?
    Yes I can. If I wanted someone to invent a Trampolining Dwarf to read out the weather forecast on a moronic tv channel....I would hire him immediately.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey_Ho wrote: »
    Why would anyone force a stutter? :confused:

He probably forgets that he's not talking to one of the Brianettes.

He does the deliberate stutter to emphasize a point. So he'll say: 'I, I, I, I, just...I just don't know where - someone help me, where, where do I go with this...anyone? You know the number...'
  • P.RamleeP.Ramlee Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O'Briens faux pas of the week?

Trying to make a joke out of Eddy Grant's 'Gimme hope Jo'anna' and confusing it with Kool & the Gang's 'Joanna'.

An epic fail.
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Landis wrote: »
    I would add to that:
    About a year ago I heard him take 2 calls from people with a very noticable stutter within a 15 minute period. His impatience seemed obvious and after talking over them more than once, he ended the calls quickly. Nice.
    When he tried to bully union boss Steven Hedley last year he got a taste of his own medicine and sounded like he was going to burst into tears.

Complete this sentence: "When they are pushed....an adult Bully always turns out to be a ......"

Surely I can find something positive to say about NF?
    Yes I can. If I wanted someone to invent a Trampolining Dwarf to read out the weather forecast on a moronic tv channel....I would hire him immediately.

Was that the one where the union guy answered a very straightforward closed question with "do you still beat your wife?" Presumably to illustrate that there wasn't always a yes/no answer. God knows what dreadful "How to handle the media" workshop he'd learned that on but it was a pathetic answer and he kept repeating it every time he was asked a difficult question. I'm not surprised NF lost his rag.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the most disingenuous, ghastly presenters on LBC, let alone a fat, Murdoch stooge. I'll never forget his staunch defence for Murdoch's NI at the height of the phone-hacking scandal. He called it a 'storm in a teacup', despite the fact it was illegal and that Milly Dowler's phone was notoriously one of the many hacked.

I'm no great fan of George Galloway either but was delighted when he humiliated NF on Ch 4 tv 2 years ago over another Murdoch scandal that NF desperately tried to defend and failed..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymd78DvCqOA
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P.Ramlee wrote: »

Trying to make a joke out of Eddy Grant's 'Gimme hope Jo'anna' and confusing it with Kool & the Gang's 'Joanna'.

An epic fail.

:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He does the deliberate stutter to emphasize a point. So he'll say: 'I, I, I, I, just...I just don't know where - someone help me, where, where do I go with this...anyone? You know the number...'

What can you say. He's a total plonker.
  • Franco_AnglaisFranco_Anglais Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    SA has a repulsive false laugh which makes my skin crawl.

Yes! That hideous, forced Sid James-like chuckle, which makes him sound even more unhinged and sinister. Very disturbing.
  • TomWhittonTomWhitton Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NF is frequently heralded as a skillful and professional presenter

By who? I'd imagine anyone interested in following serious news coverage finds him thoroughly wretched . Myself, I just find him unlistenable.
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    TomWhitton wrote: »
    By who? I'd imagine anyone interested in following serious news coverage finds him thoroughly wretched . Myself, I just find him unlistenable.

I think he's brilliant.
  • Inge JonesInge Jones Posts: 11,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely Nick Abbot needs a break for just ONE night in the week? Please God? Though in his favor I will say I can have him on quietly for about half an hour before I go mad, unlike Nick Ferrari who tends to last under 10 minutes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    Who thought Iain Dale giving that guy who jumped off the Tower Bridge was worth the time? On one hand, I am thinking the guy did it for publicity and yet the other hand could be warning about doing it but I'm leaning towards the Publicity for his YouTube and such.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    TomWhitton wrote: »

I absolutely love Nick Ferrari. His is the one show I always listen to if I can, even the compilation programme at the weekend. The contrast between him and the likes of PratAllen, Gobful O'Brian and the like is massive.

But then again I also like Nick Abbot and Cristo! Darren do dahs is abysmal but the worst presenter of all imo is Sam Pittis .... lordy lord :o
  • Inge JonesInge Jones Posts: 11,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I think NF is quite competent, but the problem wuth him for me is he has obviously researched his "guests" well, and has a good idea of what they're likely to come up with and is ready to spar with them over it. Unfortunately, I haven't usually become as familiar with their line, and Nick's voice constantly cutting in and talking over the top of them prevents me from actually learning what they might be trying to say. I'd like to hear them first, and THEN his cross-examination.
    Forum Member
    Inge Jones wrote: »
    Well I think NF is quite competent, but the problem wuth him for me is he has obviously researched his "guests" well, and has a good idea of what they're likely to come up with and is ready to spar with them over it. Unfortunately, I haven't usually become as familiar with their line, and Nick's voice constantly cutting in and talking over the top of them prevents me from actually learning what they might be trying to say. I'd like to hear them first, and THEN his cross-examination.

NF has a spooky hold on all things LBC. He wins awards which I find really strange. He is on first-name terms with a heap of politicians (mainly tory). He is sexist, rude and ridicules callers on a regular basis. He has a hedonistic approach to his show as if he knows he is untouchable. What's not to like?
  • CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    P.Ramlee wrote: »

An epic fail.

Funny you should mention Eddy Grant.

I haven't listened to JO'B for months but thought I'd give him a try as I was driving home at just gone midday. I lasted about 5 minutes as he rambled on about UKIP and racists when he was giving his 'thoughts' on museums charging. I see he hasn't changed.

I remembered I had an Equals CD in the car and blasted out 'Baby Come Back' instead - much more fun! :D
    Forum Member
    I forgot to mention the disgusting comments he makes about his ex-wife, he has referred to her size suggesting that a newspaper page wouldn't be big enough to print a picture of her. He has two sons who must hear this. Do they hate their mother too?
This discussion has been closed.