I need some advice on best way to connect my TV

kah22kah22 Posts: 131
Forum Member
I have a problem and need some ideas on what's the best way to set up my TV, hopefully someone can offer a solution.

My gear
Sony Bravia TV
Humax HD Fox T2 Recorder

Here is where my problem lies. I’m placing the tv in a new room (a renovation): it will be on a wall above a cabinet, or even on the cabinet.

On the wall is a series of power points plus a letterbox which supports a hdmi cable (already there). In the cabinet is another series of plugs plus the hdmi companion to the above, plus an aerial socket. Therein is my problem.

I have successfully connected the Humax and the TV together: aerial into Humax, HDMI into HUMAX and HDMI into TV. Good picture

My difficulty lies with switching channels. If I want to switch from one channel to another then I have to open the cabinet door and then switch over, the remote won’t penetrate wood!! Is there a way around this?

I have tried to fish and pull the aerial cable through the letterbox but with the cabinet is fixed to the wall there is an opening between the wall back of the cabinet and the wall. There is also the added difficulty that this is a renovation and that the wall behind the cabinet sits out a bit and is only made of plasterboard. So it is difficult to see what is going on in there.

I’m not a sky customer but I hear some talk about a ‘magic eye’ which means you can have your box hidden and can still switch over (have I got that right?) Can I get a gizmo like that for my setup?

Why is the aerial in the cabinet and not above it? Our fault we wanted as much as possible hidden and didn’t realize we need that aerial connection up on top. Perhaps the spark should have made this plain, but my fault

Any ideas, I’m prepared to spend a few pound if I can avoid drilling holes as this is just a new renovation.

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,502
    Forum Member
    kah22 wrote: »
    I’m not a sky customer but I hear some talk about a ‘magic eye’ which means you can have your box hidden and can still switch over (have I got that right?) Can I get a gizmo like that for my setup?

Yes, you can get add-on external ones to use with non-Sky equipment.

Why is the aerial in the cabinet and not above it? Our fault we wanted as much as possible hidden and didn’t realize we need that aerial connection up on top. Perhaps the spark should have made this plain, but my fault

The aerials in the right place (it has to go to the recorder), what you're missing is a simple male to female flylead from there to the TV. You should probably be able to feed a wire down the 'letterbox' and then use that to pull a flylead up.
  • BspksBspks Posts: 1,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a problem and need some ideas on what's the best way to set up my TV, hopefully someone can offer a solution.

My gear
    Sony Bravia TV
    Humax HD Fox T2 Recorder

Here is where my problem lies. I’m placing the tv in a new room (a renovation): it will be on a wall above a cabinet, or even on the cabinet.

My difficulty lies with switching channels. If I want to switch from one channel to another then I have to open the cabinet door and then switch over, the remote won’t penetrate wood!! Is there a way around this?

Try something like this http://www.keene.co.uk/keene-ir-distribution-extender-complete-kit-including-standard-ir-receiver.html
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My gear
    Sony Bravia TV
    Humax HD Fox T2 Recorder

On the wall is a series of power points plus a letterbox which supports a hdmi cable (already there). In the cabinet is another series of plugs plus the hdmi companion to the above, plus an aerial socket. Therein is my problem.

I have successfully connected the Humax and the TV together: aerial into Humax, HDMI into HUMAX and HDMI into TV. Good picture

I have tried to fish and pull the aerial cable through the letterbox but with the cabinet is fixed to the wall there is an opening between the wall back of the cabinet and the wall. There is also the added difficulty that this is a renovation and that the wall behind the cabinet sits out a bit and is only made of plasterboard. So it is difficult to see what is going on in there.

Any ideas, I’m prepared to spend a few pound if I can avoid drilling holes as this is just a new renovation.

You say the HDMI cable is run from the cabinet to the "letterbox"? If this is loose and not plastered into the wall you may be able to use this to pull in a draw string.

Basically tie a bit of string to one end of the HDMI lead and pull the HDMI lead out from the other end so the string now effectively replaces the HDMI lead but make sure the string doesn't come all the way through with the lead! :o:)

Now find yourself an aerial lead that has the right connectors each end to plug into the Aerial/RF out of the Humax one end and the telly at the other. Tie this onto the string along with the HDMI lead then pull both leads back through.

If you ever think you need any other cables in the future add another bit of string with the leads and pull that through as well so it is in place to use in the future to pull any extra cables through.

If it works and you've got the aerial cable the right way round :) you should now be able to connect the TV to the Humax with both HDMI and aerial. Plug the Humax into the aerial socket and you should now have Freeview on the telly independently of the Humax.

How well ventilated is the cabinet? If it is too well sealed the kit inside it may cook. My Fox-T2 does get a bit warm in use but then it is in an open fronted cabinet with free space around and above it so plenty of space to dissipate any heat build up.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    omnilink. basically its Global's tv-link, but with an additional ir transmitter for the freeview or freesat receiver magic eye. The original tv-link system works only with sky boxes. Maplin should sell all the slx products separately, but probably cheaper by post.

http://www.beststuff.co.uk/store/Omni-Link-Pack-Satellite-and-Freeview-TV-Remote-Control-Extender.htm

https://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/pdf_data/27872HS.pdf

http://www.tvlink.co.uk/
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... or just use the remote control channel on a cheap wireless videosender, if u want to avoid a cable !