What were the TV Theme Tunes that you found really Scary

owen10owen10 Posts: 127,715
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
There was a time a time when there was TV theme tunes were really scary to listen to the ones i used to really scare me was World in Action Panorama Mastermind and the scariest of them all Tales of the Unexpected What were the TV theme tunes that used to scare you

Comments

• The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a child there was a tv series called "In To The Labyrinth" The tune and the opening credits scared the pants off me.

I agree with your choices. Equally as scary as a child.
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Predictable I know, but I found the original "Doctor Who" theme scary as a young child.

I agree also about the "World in Action" theme, although now I really like both themes.
  • Anthony_UKAnthony_UK Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The closing titles Dr.Who theme from the seventies with that bloodcurdling radiophonic scream frightened me as a children.
  • biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think with certain themes ( World In Action, Panorama & Tales Of The Unexpected ) it was the anticipation of the programme coming after it that was scary. The programme itself could be very serious and grown-up subject matter or a horror drama. Another of that ilk - and my personal scariest theme - was The World At War, a documentary about the second world war shown in the early to mid seventies.
    A scary theme that belies that theory, though, was Picture Box, which was a nice informative, and definitely not scary, schools programme but it's theme tune was sh*t-your-pants scary.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o_NTPtW8NU&feature=player_detailpage
  • rob_bangorrob_bangor Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i always found the theme from flambards scary
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    I, Claudius
  • MadBettyMadBetty Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The X Files theme.

Back in the 90's when I'd put my son to bed at 8pm my then-husband would sit and watch the X Files and we'd have to mute the TV so our son wouldn't hear the theme from his bed as it gave him the spooks :)
  • sausagesandwichsausagesandwich Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's one for the oldies. I retain a strange feeling about The 6:05 Special. and its theme. This was one of the first music shows aimed at teenagers and as a young child it worried me, but I can't imagine why. Perhaps the image of the train that looked as though it was going to crash?
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Growing up in the 1990's I found the Mastermind intro super creepy.
  • kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Granddad said the siren at the end of the Dad's Army closing theme always gave him a chill.

(Not sure why as I think it's the "all clear" signal rather than "air raid warning").
  • widgerwidger Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always found the original ITN News at Ten theme very scary.
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Tales of the Unexpected was my instant reaction to the thread title, but it was probably the combination with the visuals which made it so unnerving.

Hammer House of Horror music used to scare me, but then again so did the whole programme, I was only around 8-9 when I watched them (I had a very irresponsible babysitter on a Saturday night!)
  • seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 999 theme tune and Michael Buerk's voiceover. Menacing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pguTWl6UjLU
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,638
    Forum Member
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    Tales of the Unexpected was my instant reaction to the thread title, but it was probably the combination with the visuals which made it so unnerving.

If you want unnerving, take a look at the American version of the TOTU titles :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB3ckrLT3xI
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
  • maltshovelmaltshovel Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Tales of the Unexpected
    The Book Tower
    Hill Street Blues
    Sapphire and Steel
    Reflections (5 minute programme shown after 10pm news in Scotland)
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jrmswfc wrote: »

Hammer House of Horror music used to scare me, but then again so did the whole programme, I was only around 8-9 when I watched them (I had a very irresponsible babysitter on a Saturday night!)

Mine too. Normally as it was coupled with the realisation that if I then also watched the programme it'd often likely be nightmare inducing. :o
  • maltshovelmaltshovel Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    maltshovel wrote: »
    Tales of the Unexpected
    The Book Tower
    Hill Street Blues
    Sapphire and Steel
    Reflections (5 minute programme shown after 10pm news in Scotland)

Oh and the theme tune to Crimewatch UK still scares the heebie-jeebies out of me :blush::blush:
  • Auntie SarahAuntie Sarah Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    The Tomorrow People (the original series from the 70s ...) :o
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    The Tomorrow People (the original series from the 70s ...) :o

Definitely. Scared the hell out of me. Luckily my brother and mum always wanted to watch blue peter which was on the other side at the same time.

Also 'Survivors' and 'Day Of The Triffids'.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think with certain themes ( World In Action, Panorama & Tales Of The Unexpected ) it was the anticipation of the programme coming after it that was scary. The programme itself could be very serious and grown-up subject matter or a horror drama. Another of that ilk - and my personal scariest theme - was The World At War, a documentary about the second world war shown in the early to mid seventies.
    A scary theme that belies that theory, though, was Picture Box, which was a nice informative, and definitely not scary, schools programme but it's theme tune was sh*t-your-pants scary.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o_NTPtW8NU&feature=player_detailpage

This too, and the titles burning too and the fact it was telling the story of real life horror.
  • Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_v2-lPKP8g

(perhaps even more so the end credits, which were basically a long version of the intro)
  • dellzinchtdellzincht Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a theme tune, but the incidental music played on Catchphrase in the late 80's terrified me as a small child :)

They're on YouTube somewhere.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've already been mentioned, but Tales of the Unexpected and Doctor Who.
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    They've already been mentioned, but Tales of the Unexpected and Doctor Who.

Both theme tunes written by Ron Grainer to boot.