Options

Recs for Horror and FPS Steam games

CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So whilst I'm waiting for my new pc I've been looking at future games I may play but I'm having trouble deciding which ones.

I want to get Amnesia but other then that I'm struggling to pick a good one.
(I've watched a complete play through of among the sleep, alien isolation, the evil within and outlast)

Comments

• Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Outlast is great a very scary game best of the horror survival bunch for me, it's a shame you watched a complete playthrough.

Are you looking at single player FPS? there are some great titles that I enjoyed.

Metro Last Light
    Dishonored
    BioShock Infinite
    Far Cry 3/4

*edit* There are tons of indie horrors exclusive to PC :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I watched Outlast I didn't expect to ever be able to play it.

I've looked at a couple of those and yeah Far Cry interests me. I like solo and multiplayer FPS.

I should also mention I like Point and Click and hidden object games too
  • Options
    finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soma is coming out this month. It's from the same people that made Amnesia and looks pretty good.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    arkham series?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decided to go with the Penumbra series bought all three games for £6.99 So far so good
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Alien Isolation is probably the best of the horror fps games. Amnesia and its sequel are very good too.

If you like point and click there are loads of games that can be picked up very cheap. Lots of which are on sale on the humble store at the mo

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/runaway_aroadadventure_storefront
    https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/sherlockholmes_candp_storefront
    https://www.humblebundle.com/store/bundle/daedalicentertainment/
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was just looking for a game as a gift for someone and came across Layers of Fear, a new first-person horror game. Can't personally recommend it of course having never played it, but the reviews for it are very strong on Steam. Looks pretty good for £6.99 and I might go with it as my gift. It's either that or Dispatcher, another newish one in the same genre, same price.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not "horror" as such but Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines is a cracking good SP RPG especially as there's a community mod available which fixes a load of the annoying bugs which were left behind when Troika stopped supporting it (when Activision pulled the plut)..
    Story about that here.

Can pick it up here for £14.99 on Steam but it's probably available on disc cheaper on the net I'd think.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look at the first F.E.A.R. if you fancy - you can get it dirt cheap on Steam and it's the best of the series. A great blend of horror/sci-fi FPS with plenty of jumps & action.
  • Options
    finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're still wanting to get Amnesia it's free today on Steam (to keep, not for a limited time) so grab it quick!
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look at the first F.E.A.R. if you fancy - you can get it dirt cheap on Steam and it's the best of the series. A great blend of horror/sci-fi FPS with plenty of jumps & action.

I played the first F.E.A.R and it's expansions and it's fairly solid. F.E.A.R 2 and it's expansion is much better though, in my opinion. I have F.E.A.R 3 to play but it's slipped down the list slightly. They are worth buying.

As for FPS's, Borderlands, Borderlands 2 and I'm guessing Borderlands The Pre-Sequel are awesome games. You can play one of a number of classes per game which makes for a lot of replay vlaue. You then get guns, grenades, and relics drop which you can use to hit harder, stronger etc. and a talent tree system to buff either your class ability or ways you play. It's sort of like a stripped down MMO in a FPS but all have good stories and humor.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SOMA seems legit.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the Fear 1 & 2, always going back through them :)

Evil Within is also good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot about this thread :blush:

Yeah I noticed the Amnesia deal after it had finished :(

SOMA I was going to buy but H20 Delirious is playing it and I love watching his lets plays. Avoiding Amensia lets plays though. Hoping a new deal will come around again. End of October should have good horror deals.

I already own FEAR on the PS3 and FEAR 2. Really like both. Prefer FEAR 2 controls but like FEAR 1 for gameplay more.

I've seen delirious play Layers of Fear already and it does indeed look a good scary game but no point in buying now.

Alien Isolation is on my future to buy list.

Evil Within is on PC? Either way I prefer watching the lets plays of it instead as the story is very linear minus a few decision changes.

I'll wait for Vampire to go down in price.

Anyway I bought a game before rediscovering my thread. I bought STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »

Anyway I bought a game before rediscovering my thread. I bought STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl.

Cracking game that. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Cracking game that. :)

I'm loving it so far. Very hard. It appealed because of the FPS style and the horror theme. It seemed like a good combination of what I wanted
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    I loved FEAR when it came out. Im not sure if its because of this thread but i started replaying it about a week ago. Its made me realise as well that I dont think i ever played FEAR 2. I have no idea why. I was excited for FEAR 3 and bought it (played 30 minutes, never picked it up again) so why I didnt cotton on I hadnt played FEAR 2 i have no clue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reglip wrote: »
    I loved FEAR when it came out. Im not sure if its because of this thread but i started replaying it about a week ago. Its made me realise as well that I dont think i ever played FEAR 2. I have no idea why. I was excited for FEAR 3 and bought it (played 30 minutes, never picked it up again) so why I didnt cotton on I hadnt played FEAR 2 i have no clue.

I've heard FEAR 3 is very weak in comparison. Fear 2 is really good.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should look at SOMA too what a great game one of the best horrors I have played.

Ops nvm I see you watched a playthrough, you should not do that to often :)