Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 42)

Comments

• Options
    Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well she must have done something to provoke such hostility from you, along with any other member of the EastEnders production team. The way you endlessly savage them anyone would think they were all high-profile murderers.

Wow hold the dramatics, but then again with that kind of passion in your published posts maybe you should write for EE, heck you can't be any worse than the amateur hour rubbish than pens episodes.:D
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,232
    Forum Member
    No SCD finishes at 8pm, when XF starts.

XF only on 1hr 20 mins this Saturday.

Only 80 minutes then, it'll be interesting to see if there'll be a change in the viewing figures. It'll go back to nearly 2 hours the next week as all the acts are singing two songs. There was plenty of adverts for this weeks 'Best of British' show aired in between shows during the week.

A round-up of some of the notable consolidated figures.
    1 DOWNTON ABBEY (SUN 2102) 10.57
    2 CORONATION STREET (MON 1932) 9.04
    3 CORONATION STREET (MON 2029) 8.46
    4 CORONATION STREET (FRI 1931) 8.32
    5 THE X FACTOR RESULTS (SUN 1959) 8.29
    6 CORONATION STREET (WED 1931) 7.89
    7 CORONATION STREET (FRI 2029) 7.69
    8 EMMERDALE (MON 1900) 7.64
    9 THE X FACTOR (SAT 2021) 7.63

Not often does Emmerdale beat XF. If you include HD for the XF figures you get:

7.63 + 1.119 = 8.75m

8.29 + 1.199 = 9.49m

I get the feeling the producers aren't really taking in notice the drop. I don't see how the figures could have dropped even further. The peak for the results show in week 2 was 11.7m (including +1), and that has since dropped for each results show. Even having two boybands who get anything trend on Twitter in the bottom two didn't help. If they get Rylan and Chris off soon enough, maybe they'll change a bit.

Last nights figure much have been at least 30% on the show last year.
    1 WIZARDS VS ALIENS (MON 1719) 595
    2 WIZARDS VS ALIENS (TUE 1718) 502

Astonishing figures for CBBC. Nearly 600k for a series launch is pretty good, even SJA didn't have a rating that high for it's first episode on CBBC back in 2007.
    28 THE CHASE (FRI 1700) 3.16
    29 THE CHASE (THU 1700) 3.05
    30 THE CHASE (TUE 1700) 3.04

Nice to see The Chase with over 3m. I wonder if all 5 editions for the week have actually been in the top 30 ever.
    1 RUSSELL HOWARD'S GOOD NEWS (THU 2102) 1,067
    5 CUCKOO (TUE 2202) 803

Good for Russell Howard, a bit underwhelming for Cuckoo considering it was the series finale.

Have they sorted out the ITV1 figures for w/e 14th October as they are still not available.
  • Options
    xfactorfan27xfactorfan27 Posts: 1,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow at all the sniping on here today...

IAC rating is fantastic; I guess all the recent publicity has ensured a particularly impressive rating. Good-ish peak for X Factor, poor average. The judging panel is in desperate need of a revamp with Tulisa and Borelow surely first to go? They seriously need to get back to being a talent show too. Watching this weekend it was evident just how many of the acts are either utterly talentless or "joke" acts. The majority of people I know who have stopped watching the show is because of the appalling decisions made by the judges and a lack of talent. We don't need any more boyblands or Rylan-type characters and if the producers realise that the show may just may have a chance...

IMO the reason SCD has had superb ratings this year is because people appreciate the integrity of the show.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting to see how Countryfile has developed from a lunchtime programme mostly watched by farmers into a show which can pull in 6-7 million viewers.
    Pleased to see Valkyrie did well on Channel 5 last night against such strong competition. This was a good film and a decently alternative to Andrew Marr and IAC./
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another huge time shift for Arrow on Sky1 for it's 2nd episode. and easily thrashing everything else on that channel for the entire week. 1.73m for Episode 2 with Sunday's repeat getting 429k. It was a massive 1m higher than #2 of the week.

So far:
    Episode 1- 1.855m
    Episode 2- 1.734m
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wow at all the sniping on here today...

IAC rating is fantastic; I guess all the recent publicity has ensured a particularly impressive rating. Good-ish peak for X Factor, poor average. The judging panel is in desperate need of a revamp with Tulisa and Borelow surely first to go? They seriously need to get back to being a talent show too. Watching this weekend it was evident just how many of the acts are either utterly talentless or "joke" acts. The majority of people I know who have stopped watching the show is because of the appalling decisions made by the judges and a lack of talent. We don't need any more boyblands or Rylan-type characters and if the producers realise that the show may just may have a chance...

IMO the reason SCD has had superb ratings this year is because people appreciate the integrity of the show.

Tulisa's won with an act already, and seems likely to do again this year, so I don't think she'll be going yet.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmm I disagree, had he given him a folded piece of paper I can't see what the fuss would be about.

What TM/Schof did was (poorly) try to negate any getting out clause Dave would have had (I've not seen the name you're referring to) by dumping the names in his lap

I don't think Pip should resign, but maybe he needs to make a sincere on-air (second) apology

The list shouldn't have existed in the first place. That it may or may not have been visible on camera isn't the major issue unless someone actually sues. AFAIK nobody has been widely identified from that list. For now it can be put down to a simple error. The list is, for me, the issue. It might not have been saying that the people on the list did it but saying that there are rumours about them isn't a whole lot better even if Newsnight had already set the ball rolling. It was very poorly judged. And if the aim was as you say, it didn't work because Cameron sensibly ignored the piece of paper.

Broadcasters need to wise up. They can't make veiled accusations when the person in question can be so easily identified.

Schofield has a few things in his favour at the moment. Firstly, nobody is suing him or ITV. Secondly, the BBC is a mess and that's the focus of attention just now. Missing Savile (and it fell to ITV to expose that) then being so desperate to change the new agenda that they dragged an innocent mans reputation through the gutter. Meanwhile they had a DG who went to the James Murdoch school of management - not a clue about anything, didn't think to ask etc. Then they paid him £450,000 for 7 weeks. They've seen major failings in their journalism and in the management of the crises. Schofield would be in far hotter water if it weren't for these things going on in the background.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Excellent return for IAC despite some declaring it a flop. How 10.6m can't be seen as a success in its 12th run and its 3rd highest launch ever is actually beyond me. It's still a hit!

TXF pretty much level with last week too. I wonder how the final will do. 10m tops maybe? :eek: SCD had an excellent weekend. Its really starting to build now. Great to see Homeland post a series high too. An awesome TV show! :cool:
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Georged123 wrote: »
    The only person so far today to even make any possible negative comment about I'm A Celeb's rating is SamuelW, yet even his post simply states the facts that the figure is down y-o-y and comments on other big ITV shows being down too. I don't think yours and James J's responses were warranted, it's not like there have been several people saying I'm A Celeb's figure is awful. Most posters seem to agree it's within the range expected.

I have already explained my post was in reference to Samuel's and Samuel's alone. And my post would only ever be unwarranted, IMO, if I was being offensive (which I certainly don't think it was). Otherwise I'm more than entitled to make the points I wish to in this thread.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Also :eek: at Friday's EE rating. Beaten by Emmerdale too on a random Friday night in November.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also :eek: at Friday's EE rating. Beaten by Emmerdale too on a random Friday night in November.

Not looking good for EastEnders at all... the future is bleak.

I'm A Celebrity returned with an excellent figure. Ant and Dec really are at their best with this series and the format hasn't been overexposed, which is why it still brings in great ratings for its 12th series.

Crime Stories started today... I haven't watched it yet, but I'm going to catch it on ITV Player at some point this week when I have time. It looks very experimental. Credit to ITV for trying something new and innovative in daytime, but I'm not sure if it'll pick up an audience. In fact, I have a feeling it will flop badly.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Excellent return for IAC despite some declaring it a flop. How 10.6m can't be seen as a success in its 12th run and its 3rd highest launch ever is actually beyond me. It's still a hit!
    Just to make it clear I didnt say that IAC rating is a flop. I just said it was down almost 1.5million from last year and that nearly all of Itv's reality shows have rated worse this year compared to previous year which is a fact. That must be a concern for the channel because they havent had a big new entertainment hit in over 5 years and their current big shows, which are very important to the channel's fortunes as they dont have the same strength in depth as BBC1, are not as popular as they once were.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think EastEnders timeslot has always affected it on a Friday; it'd do better at 7.30pm before the younger viewers start going out for the evening. If I was them I'd be tempted to offer ITV1 free reign for Coronation Street in the 8pm hour if they could take the 7.30pm for EastEnders.

That will never happen though. And of course, it should be doing much better than that in the 8pm slot.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV have two worries in entertainment. The main one is X Factor, falling heavily for over a year now. Then there's Dancing on Ice.

I'm A Celebrity posted a really encouraging result last night after a very strong series last year. Britain's Got Talent is down 4% over the past 2 years if you take an hourly average (what matters to ITV) so it's hardly a worry at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interestingly, looking at the consolidated's, The Chase's highest rating is on 2nd November 2012 with 3.16m. The lowest (for a non-repeat) is on 28th May 2010 with 992k. The first ever edition on 29th June 2009 had 1.44m.

Looking at Pointless, highest rating for a non-repeat on BBC1 is on 11th November 2011 with 3.28m, the highest if you include the repeats is on 23rd December 2011 with 4.4m. Lowest rating (again, not including repeats) on BBC1 is 1.79m on 25th May 2012. On BBC2, lowest is on 16th April 2010 with 735k, and highest is on 1st December 2010 with 2.32m.

So, interesting comparison there.

Also, the semi-final result for the third semi final this year (8th May), was the third lowest rated BGT episode ever.

The consolidated 5-minute breakdown for the BGT 2009 final is interesting:

21:30 15.29m (60.85%)
    21:35 17.67m (66.88%)
    21:40 16.40m (64.31%)
    21:45 18.01m (68.04%)
    21:50 19.97m (71.62%)
    21:55 19.58m (70.77%)
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Very misleading Dave. EE's figure is for the full slot, Corrie's aren't.
    The second episode of Corrie got an equaly poor 7.3m for its full slot. Perhaps you should have pointed this out.

Eastenders rating is for the full slot, because it ran the full slot. Eastenders very rarely gets tape checked on a Friday, or indeed for any 8pm starting episode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    data for week ending 4th November 2012 now live on BARB

1.62m - great timeshift for Merlin.
  • Options
    xfactorfan27xfactorfan27 Posts: 1,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Tulisa's won with an act already, and seems likely to do again this year, so I don't think she'll be going yet.

That matters not. Besides which I would be very surprised if Ella won this year considering the downward trajectory she has been on.

She did well last year, this year she has been dull and her sing-off decisions have been appalling. Based on the ratings, drastic changes will be made next year and I reckon Tulisa will get the boot.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Just to make it clear I didnt say that IAC rating is a flop. I just said it was down almost 1.5million from last year and that nearly all of Itv's reality shows have rated worse this year compared to previous year which is a fact. That must be a concern for the channel because they havent had a big new entertainment hit in over 5 years and their current big shows, which are very important to the channel's fortunes as they dont have the same strength in depth as BBC1, are not as popular as they once were.

Yet again you focus just on a decline rather than what the general trends are for the show.

It's almost as if it'd be better for a show never to peak high, because that means it'll have to drop the following year.

Is a show that rates 8, 8, 8, 8, 10, 8 a worry in your eyes, because in that example it's just dropped 2m year on year and is in major decline?
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    The list shouldn't have existed in the first place. That it may or may not have been visible on camera isn't the major issue unless someone actually sues. AFAIK nobody has been widely identified from that list. For now it can be put down to a simple error. The list is, for me, the issue. It might not have been saying that the people on the list did it but saying that there are rumours about them isn't a whole lot better even if Newsnight had already set the ball rolling. It was very poorly judged. And if the aim was as you say, it didn't work because Cameron sensibly ignored the piece of paper.

Broadcasters need to wise up. They can't make veiled accusations when the person in question can be so easily identified.

Schofield has a few things in his favour at the moment. Firstly, nobody is suing him or ITV. Secondly, the BBC is a mess and that's the focus of attention just now. Missing Savile (and it fell to ITV to expose that) then being so desperate to change the new agenda that they dragged an innocent mans reputation through the gutter. Meanwhile they had a DG who went to the James Murdoch school of management - not a clue about anything, didn't think to ask etc. Then they paid him £450,000 for 7 weeks. They've seen major failings in their journalism and in the management of the crises. Schofield would be in far hotter water if it weren't for these things going on in the background.

Back in the late 90's World in Action's "Death on the Rock" programme effectively lost Thames its franchise licence for London region. That was way worse than anything This Morning/Schofield did to Cameron.

Also Dave used to work for Carlton (which unfortunately won ITV London franchise) so I doubt he has as much hate for ITV as his party seems to have for Auntie Beeb.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Yet again you focus just on a decline rather than what the general trends are for the show.

It's almost as if it'd be better for a show never to peak high, because that means it'll have to drop the following year.

Is a show that rates 8, 8, 8, 8, 10, 8 a worry in your eyes, because in that example it's just dropped 2m year on year and is in major decline?
    Yesterdays IaC rating was lower than not just last year but also 2010 so it's not just a one year thing. As for XFactor, that's getting some of its lowest ratings in years.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know BGT is unlikely to see the Subo effect and get a peak of 19 million viewers again, but a show which regularly gets more than 10 million viewers is still a big success. To me a flop would be show that went from 10 million to 3 million and was roundly ignored.
  • Options
    Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    I know BGT is unlikely to see the Subo effect and get a peak of 19 million viewers again, but a show which regularly gets more than 10 million viewers is still a big success. To me a flop would be show that went from 10 million to 3 million and was roundly ignored.

Excellent point, ratings are off a bit and SCD is on a roll but those productions are not in ratings crisis.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adding to DMN/RZT's post from yesterday

Series 1 (2002): 6.4m (33%)
    Series 2 (2003): 10.0m (46%)
    Series 3 (2004): 10.1m (n/a%)
    Series 4 (2004): 9.0m (35%)
    Series 5 (2005): 9.5m (38%)
    Series 6 (2006): 8.9m (38%)
    Series 7 (2007): 8.7m (38%)
    Series 8 (2008): 8.9m (35%)
    Series 9 (2009): 9.8m (36%)
    Series 10 (2010): 11.2m (38%)
    Series 11 (2011): 11.8m (44%) inc +1
    Series 12 (2012): 10.3m (41%) 10.6m (42%) inc +1

So yes it is down on the last 2 years but up on the previous 9 years before that

So how can this be 'a cause for concern for ITV' and be 'worrying'?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A run-down of all the consolidated final peaks for both BGT and XF:

BGT:

2007: 12.81m (47.7%) and 12.37m (52.8%)
    2008: 14.44m (59.2%) and 14.83m (59.2%)
    2009: 18.76m (72.8%) and 19.97m (71.6%)
    2010: 15.87m (59.8%) (inc HD)
    2011: 14.08m (50.6%) and 14.79m (55%) (inc HD)
    2012: 14.91m (52.1%) (inc HD)

X Factor:

2004 & 2005: N/A
    2006: 11.17m (48.2%) and 12.82m (56.5%)
    2007: 12.79m (51.9%) and 13.15m (55.3%)
    2008: 15.02m (53.4%) and 15.00m (60.6%)
    2009: 15.14m (53.9%) and 19.28m (60.5%)
    2010: 16.27m (53.9%) and 19.77m (59.1%)
    2011: 12.84m (42.4%) and 15.71m (48.1%)
This discussion has been closed.