Imagine if America 'Re-imagined' Dr Who....

Comments

• KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    America cannot reproduce British shows end of discussion: Faulty Towers, Monty Python, The Office (which has already been listed) and many others I can't even think of off the top of my head! And the you tube video just completely shows exactly why that is brilliantly! :D
    The US Office is often quite good. Its just a very different thing than Ricky Gervaise's show.

A few other examples. While there was a horrible US version of Coupling, Coupling itself was largely based on Friends, and Friends was better.

I'm not personally a viewer of either version of Being Human, but people who are tell me that the US version is more than acceptable.

In the realm of comedy classics, the US versions of Keep it in the Family (US - Too Close For Comfort), Man About The House (Three's Company), Not the Nine O'Clock News (Basically, John Stewart's The Daily Show is this, with a few tweaks), One Foot in the Grave (Cosby), Steptoe and Son (Sandford & Son), The Thick of It (Veep), Till Death Us Do Part (All in The Family), were ALL at a minimum solid efforts, and a few significantly better.

Outside the realm of Dramas and Comedies, US versions of Cash Cab, Antiques Roadshow, Got Talent, Cash in the Attic, Dog Eat Dog, Gladiators, Idol, Scrapheap Challenge/Junkyard Wars, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, and Whose Line Is It Anyway? were all about co-equal to their British counterparts.

So its hardly a foregone conclusion an adaptation will be bad. Its just that when they fail, they tend to do so spectacularly. Really noticeably and ugly.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not personally a viewer of either version of Being Human, but people who are tell me that the US version is more than acceptable.

Maybe for some but not for me. Being Human is one of the best things to have come out of TV. It was a travesty that it was cancelled. It should have had at least one more series.
  • KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    America cannot reproduce British shows end of discussion: Faulty Towers, Monty Python, The Office
    I replied to a lot of this above, but I just noticed something extremely confusing. When and where do you think the US tried to "reproduce" Monty Python?
  • Chris_WaltonChris_Walton Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Like many British shows before?

24 episode series, a flashy Tardis that looks like a corner newspaper stand or a phone box, an arrogant American doctor, a sonic ray gun instead of a screwdriver.....

While I would never say know to a 22+ episode run like some of my other favourite shows, this should never happen. I wouldn't enjoy a US version of Who at all.
  • hazelnuttwhikehazelnuttwhike Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    MeMeMeI wrote: »
    You all have it wrong!

The Daleks would be Gangstas or Rappers

Ha, with a Brooklyn accent? And why don't we get one out of its travel machine and into a suit! Oh, wait...
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Kromm wrote: »
    When and where do you think the US tried to "reproduce" Monty Python?

The closest thing to Monty Python that I can think of is Kids in the Hall.. which was A. Canadian, and B. awesome.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    ncr1969 wrote: »
    Bring on an American Doctor - I want Chuck Norris.

Scrap the TARDIS - give him a helicopter gunship instead.

Ditch series companions in favour of a new bird every week.

Some chick playing a highly intelligent, independent woman like a Doctor/nuclear physicist/journalistic or something - clad in scanty clothing - and blessed with good looks. With a personal vendetta against that episodes villain. It probably killed her old man or something...

Okay, so you have just proven you haven't watched any American television since Knight Rider or The A-Team were on -- or maybe I should have mentioned Airwolf given your reference to a helicopter gunship. The rest of your comment will have to be judged keeping this in mind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    Australia could do it justice. Farscape was a great show and did not feel at all arrogant. Jim Henson can certainly do aliens as well.

I always think of Who as a Jules Verne exploration show. There is something British about that which does not work even when set in the US. You never know though. I would certainly be open to alternate version of the show as long as it doesn't replace ours.

The Peter Cushing films were very good and very much of their time. The changes don't hurt it. The only issue was him being called Doctor Who. There was no need for that. Fine hat he was human though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    Add Being Human to that list. Although, to be fair, it has changed from a straight copy and gone its own way and is doing OK. I don't watch it as I cannot stand Sam Witwer.

Thank you, I thought I'd missed out at least one big one.
    Kromm wrote: »
    I replied to a lot of this above, but I just noticed something extremely confusing. When and where do you think the US tried to "reproduce" Monty Python?

Ok, The meaning of life was awful. I'll give you that it had the original cast but it was aimed at an American audience and from what I can tell is usually highly regarded here as one of the worst things they did. It easily is the worst of the movies and just was awful.

As for The Office comment I'll admit I've never watched either, they've never appealed and from what I can tell the highlight of the UK series was the dance. I'm not a Ricky Gervais fan really. But from what I have heard the general consensus is that the US version was rubbish in comparison.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    But from what I have heard the general consensus is that the US version was rubbish in comparison.
    Among people who were big fans of the UK version, the US version is rubbish. Because it was rubbish at being a clone of the UK series. It had to find its own voice - it did, and has been very successful and well-regarded in its own right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like many British shows before?

24 episode series, a flashy Tardis that looks like a corner newspaper stand or a phone box, an arrogant American doctor, a sonic ray gun instead of a screwdriver.....

Conversely, you may have ended up with something akin to "The Office An American Workplace", or after Star Wars was released, the UK producing something approaching Blakes Seven.

However, given the right production team, you may have ended up with something approaching Quantum Leap, Eureka, Warehouse 13.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Among people who were big fans of the UK version, the US version is rubbish. Because it was rubbish at being a clone of the UK series. It had to find its own voice - it did, and has been very successful and well-regarded in its own right.

Sorry I do apologise I should have qualified my comment, I did mean that it seems to be considered rubbish here in the UK.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,929
    Forum Member
    Sorry I do apologise I should have qualified my comment, I did mean that it seems to be considered rubbish here in the UK.

Who made you the spokesperson for the whole of the UK?

It's considered rubbish by you, clearly, but not by everyone.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member

Indeed. My point is, while it has its vocal critics in the UK (and don't think it's anything near a concensus) that's not really important, as it performs well in its target market. Nobody would be making an American Doctor Who for a British market.

If cultural appreciation were truly universal, nobody would ever consider remaking a show, successful or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    um didnt they do that with Paul Mcgann?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Who made you the spokesperson for the whole of the UK?

It's considered rubbish by you, clearly, but not by everyone.
    Ok, I never intended my comment to imply that this was the UK opinion I was just stating that this was the view I was getting from the UK on the whole.

I have no strong opinion either way thank you very much I stated that I have seen neither and so cannot comment. All I was saying is based on what I have heard the US version is rather unpopular here.
    Indeed. My point is, while it has its vocal critics in the UK (and don't think it's anything near a concensus) that's not really important, as it performs well in its target market. Nobody would be making an American Doctor Who for a British market.

If cultural appreciation were truly universal, nobody would ever consider remaking a show, successful or not.

Fair enough, I may well have just heard a negative side to it but there you go.
    snopaelic wrote: »
    um didnt they do that with Paul Mcgann?

Yes this is true, and we got a half human Doctor! Its just a bad idea and I'm glad that has been forgotten.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt the Us if they had another go would mess about with it too much. Its too well established for them to do that. It would be like us trying to redo Star Trek.

Ironically, their version of Dw failed because of getting bogged down with regenerating Sylvester McCoy at the start. They would have been far better off doing what Russell T Davis did and started off without a regeneration.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair McGann is cannon now and he has a huge range of audio's. Not bad for a Doctor from a reimagined Us remake really
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    I thought there were plans to make a US version of Torchwood, after the last series of the British version when the FBI agent was turned into a version of Captain Jack.
  • John637John637 Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Why is 80% of British TV reality competition shows? It's all because the general public are morons.

I love it when Posters drag spurious figures out of th ether to back-up a personal dislike, it makes reading these Threads so much more enjoyable :D
  • mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    John637 wrote: »
    I love it when Posters drag spurious figures out of th ether to back-up a personal dislike, it makes reading these Threads so much more enjoyable :D

Read the post I was responding to. Context is king.
  • WmsheepWmsheep Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Yingguoren wrote: »
    I thought there were plans to make a US version of Torchwood, after the last series of the British version when the FBI agent was turned into a version of Captain Jack.

Was just about to mention Torchwood.

They utterly destroyed everything that made the show enjoyable, even to the extent of creating another US born "immortal".

It really didn't work, did it!!

Now, having a British Dr against some frenchie daleks...

http://youtu.be/ITpyt9IK-uQ
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Okay, so you have just proven you haven't watched any American television since Knight Rider or The A-Team were on -- or maybe I should have mentioned Airwolf given your reference to a helicopter gunship. The rest of your comment will have to be judged keeping this in mind.

You have a problem with Knight Rider??? :eek: