124»

Comments

• Options
    StoppingServiceStoppingService Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    mothian wrote: »
    I bought it from Argos ... I'd rather not take it back as the HD is nearly full...
    parthena wrote: »
    It's a long shot because you seem to be having problems with 'live' viewing/listening, but my PVR160 protests when the hard drive is, say, seven-eighths full and recovers when I delete some recordings.
    When I record any BBC channel and watch it at the same time, the picture and sound on that channel and every other BBC channel breaks up.

This sounds like the same phenomenon with two analogue TVs on the outputs of a "Y-splitter" - they can't satisfactorily view the same station simultaneously. Feeding the HDDR's two "Antenna" sockets individually from a 2-way aerial booster - instead of via the HDDR's aerial loop-thru - might produce a different (and welcome) result. :confused:

HTH :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    We live in Teignmouth so our signal is from Beacon Hill and I believe its from a relay.

Literally, it can't be both of those as Beacon Hill is a main TV mast! :p There are three masts potentially within your DVB-T equipment's reach, Teignmouth, Coombe and Beacon Hill. Your reception problems may be due to being tuned less than optimally. Without reception from Beacon Hill, you'll receive the most essential stations (i.e. PSB1/2/3 muxes) from a relay mast.

I suggest checking which mast gives you the best reception using the HDDR's on-screen meter. Get a pen & paper. In the menus, go to Installation | Manual Channel Search (or similar). Using the r/c numerals, enter the two digits of each of the following RF values, in turn. Don't press OK after. Note and label (by TV mast), the strength & quality readings given by the machine, for each value entered.

27 (represents Coombe mast); 48 (represents Teignmouth mast); 53 (represents Beacon Hill mast).

The value giving the best readings, identifies the best TV mast for you to use (with your present aerial apparatus).

Next you need to retune the HDDR so that it uses the PSB muxes' signals from your best TV mast.
    [This process doesn't erase] programmes recorded on the recorder but does cause the loss of your Preferences, e.g. Favourite Channels, Daily/Weekly Repeating Timers; you might want to note down any such settings, for subsequent restoration.

First the recorder's existing tuning data must be cleared and the Automatic Scan proposed declined, by accessing:

Menu | Setup | Installation | First Time Installation | Yes | OK | No | OK

At this point the screen should show "No Signal", press the Back key until it does. Then access the manual tuning screen by:

Menu | Setup | Installation | Manual Channel Scan

Having selected one TV mast below, each of the values for just that one should be scanned and stored, by keying each two-digit value followed by pressing OK.

Teignmouth: 52, 48, 56
    Coombe: 24, 27, 21
    Beacon Hill: 60, 53, 57

Having pressed OK after the last value and allowed the scan to take place, lastly press Menu to leave the tuning screen. Now all PSB stations should be available.

If you found that Beacon Hill main mast is best for you, you should additionally proceed to tune the three COM (commercial) muxes:

Beacon Hill: 42, 45, 51
    It just remains to restore the Preferences on the recorder. [You] should resist the temptation to rescan during any future weather-related signal disruption - to do so, is breaking the rule, "Do not adjust your set!" The only reason to conduct further tuning is if a (desired) new Freeview station launches; in that case, just Manual Channel Scan the same values again. Helpfully, in that circumstance the preliminary First Time Installation process can be omitted and therefore the Favourite Channels needn't be lost!

[OTOH, if existing stations are re-arranged (as they'll be in September), the preliminary First Time Installation is necessary. :(]

Regards
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Thanks StoppingService. Your note about the Y splitter is interesting because we do have one of these. The set affected is an analogue one where the aerial is from a splitter with the other part going downstairs to another set which now has satellite TV so doesn't need the aerial connection. I'll get this taken out.
    I've used your instructions for finding the best mast for us and found that it's Teignmouth. I retuned as you suggested but it still doesn't pick up all the freeview channels and presumably we would need a new aerial to get these?

Sorry for my ignorance about this but thanks to these forums I'm learning!

Thanks again for your help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    We live in Teignmouth... Is this why we can't get all the freeview channels?
    I retuned as you suggested but it still doesn't pick up all the freeview channels...

The result of the tests you conducted imply that your aerial is currently directed to the Teignmouth relay mast. Relay masts transmit only the three "PSB muxes" of digital terrestrial television, which together comprise half of Freeview. That's why you don't receive all the Freeview stations. Aerials fitted for analogue transmissions from there are also suitable for digital from there - though those replaced in 1981 for (analogue) "Channel 4" are very slightly preferable. The aerial's elements ("fins") should be set in the vertical orientation, because it's a relay mast.

By design, the PSB half is the best half of Freeview to have! The other half is carried on three "COM muxes" which are transmited only from main masts. In order to receive those, it'd need to be possible for you to receive from main mast, Beacon Hill which to the south-west near Bladgon village. Whether Beacon Hill can be received in Teignmouth varies street-by-street.

You should therefore enter your precise address into the (official Govt) Digital UK Reception Checker to obtain a reception prediction for your address. It'll probably say "Your most likely transmitter is Teignmouth", but for reception of the three COM muxes, you'd like to know if Beacon Hill can be picked-up in your street. Therefore, in the first white box click the link "Alternative transmitters at your address". In the returned list, ideally Beacon Hill will be shown with a green spot for "Good" reception! The number of stations forecast will hopefully be greater than that for Teignmouth mast. By hovering on the coloured spot and clicking the floating text which appears, you can access a station-by-station prediction; it'll include ratings for the stations not transmitted by Teignmouth. Stations rated "variable" will be receivable the vast majority of the time by a high-quality upgraded aerial system; the predictor errs on the pesismistic side to lessen viewers' possible disappointment(s).

If the prediction is favourable, I suggest you approach member firms of the trade association CAI for upgrade quotes, telling them you seek to receive Beacon Hill transmissions in Teignmouth - you won't be the first or last to want it! It'd be reasonable for the firm to propose installation of a high-gain Group E/W aerial and WF100/PF100 "satellite-grade" cable into your interior. The aerial's elements ("fins") should be set in the horizontal orientation, because it's a main mast. The Freeview signal (and whichever single Sky station is selected) could be provided successfully to upto 4 TV points by specifying fitment in the loft of a masthead amplifier in place of your Y-splitter. It needs no mains power in the loft; the power for it is fed up the aerial cable by a plug-in PSU at one of the TV points.

Such an amplifier would (furthermore) assist in maintaining reception during inclement weather, particularly of the COM muxes' reception because from Beacon Hill, those three have half the transmission power of the PSB muxes. :( :rolleyes:

Regards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    Relay masts transmit only the three "PSB muxes" of digital terrestrial television, which together comprise half of Freeview.
    After analogue switch-off most of them will only transmit what Freeview call ‘the most popular channels’. These include all the BBC channels, but not, for example, the shopping channels or Top-Up TV channels. This fact is not exactly well publicised, and has led to a lot of disappointment in areas where switch-over has already happened, people having assumed that they will get the full channel line-up.

Source: PARAS

Regards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    It'd be reasonable for the firm to propose installation of a high-gain Group E/W aerial and WF100/PF100 "satellite-grade" cable into your interior. The aerial's elements ("fins") should be set in the horizontal orientation, because it's a main mast.

From the internet resources available to me, it appears that for Teignmouth residents living in the district bounded by New Rd, Exeter Rd and Dawlish Rd there might be a maverick option :cool:, which would contravene officialdom :mad: but possibly offer better reception overall at lower cost. Only an aerial installer exceptionally confident of his ultra-local knowledge could vouch for the practicality of the following proposal! :eek:

For residents of the above section of town, Beacon Hill main mast and Teignmouth relay mast are in approximately the same direction. A standard-gain Group B aerial (SR10 B) aimed to Beacon Hill (and orientated horizontally to favour it) would pick-up Beacon Hill's weak COM muxes less expensively than a high-gain Group E (SR18 E) and due to the extreme proximity to Teignmouth mast, still pick-up its PSB muxes. That's despite those transmissions being vertically-polarised, off-centre of aim and one being slightly out-of-band!

Yes, that would be an esoteric approach - but may well provide reliable reception of the (essential) PSB muxes without the use of a high-gain model aerial or masthead amplifier!

Maybe I'm just showing-off now! :D;)

Regards
  • Options
    nexty2nexty2 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, I just purchased this box a day ago from Argos. The shop assistant said that the box had been dropped in the stockroom just as it was being brought out, though he said it should be ok.

Now, I got it all set up and picture quality and sound is perfect on all channels, as I expected, because after having freeview for many years our signal has always been good.

However, in about 50% of the recordings I have taken the sound and picture jumps every few seconds throughout the whole recording :mad: making it completely unwatchable. The other recordings are completely fine! There seems to be no pattern as to what recordings will be ok and which ones will not - the BBC channels are equally as likely to skip as for example, Fiver. And it is just as likely to skip when recording only one channel as two channels simultaneously.
    Because of this I am guessing it is a fault with the box, probably due to being dropped - a hardrive fault?, rather than the signal? Do you think I am correct in guessing this?
  • Options
    nexty2nexty2 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This sounds like the same phenomenon with two analogue TVs on the outputs of a "Y-splitter" - they can't satisfactorily view the same station simultaneously. Feeding the HDDR's two "Antenna" sockets individually from a 2-way aerial booster - instead of via the HDDR's aerial loop-thru - might produce a different (and welcome) result. :confused:

HTH :)

I solved my own problem (see above post) by following StoppingServices' advice. It was a signal problem as when I fed the two different tuners from two different aerial sockets in the room everything works great. I can now record 2 channels on the same mux at the same time with no sound dropout or picture breakup. Thanks for your post StoppingService, I never would have thought of this myself!
  • Options
    futaurafutaura Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nexty2 wrote: »
    Because of this I am guessing it is a fault with the box, probably due to being dropped - a hardrive fault?, rather than the signal? Do you think I am correct in guessing this?

Possibly, although harddrives are usually pretty robust these days - after the punishment that some receive when being delivered by post, for example, I would think a drop in the stockroom would not be a problem, but it can't be ruled out. Of course, something may have become loose inside the PVR when it was dropped.

Assuming you didn't do this already, try formatting the hard disk via the config menus (it'll wipe all recordings, obviously). The Vestel boxes are quite picky with the signal quality, so don't assume if your signal is fine with your TV, etc, that it's fine for the PVR. Check what the signal meter says on the "Manual channel scan" page and also that the cable link between the two tuners on the back of the box is good. Do you watch live TV from the Alba? If so, do you get any jumping then, or is it just the recordings.

If it does not improve, I think Argos themselves have given you enough reason to take it back for an exchange :).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    nexty2 wrote: »
    However, in about 50% of the recordings I have taken the sound and picture jumps every few seconds ... I am guessing it is a fault with the box, probably due to being dropped - a hardrive fault?

You could check the HDD by attaching it to a PC with a matching interface, poss. via a "USB HDD caddy". You'd need a PATA IDE or SATA match between the PC and the HDD in the Alba. Once connected, run a ChkDsk (Thorough) on it.

Because Alba, Technika etc are all alternative brand names under which Vestel HDDRs are sold, the discussions in the Digihome forum are relevant to your HDDR - including those which discuss which replacement HDDs are compatible, to swap-out if yours has scratched platters.

Regards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    Feeding the HDDR's two "Antenna" sockets individually from a 2-way aerial booster - instead of via the HDDR's aerial loop-thru - might produce a different (and welcome) result. :confused:
    Your Freeview HDD recorder's [tuners] would get a higher-quality signal if you [fed its two Antenna In sockets individually using two] double-screened aerial leads and [two] RF co-axial back-to-back adaptors. There's a reduced shipping charge of £3.50 available, if you phone your order through.

Regards
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    hi, after looking around on theses forums Ive decided im going to get one of these (Alba ALDTR160 160GB digital tv recorder) just wondering if anyone knows how it compares to a digifusion (150) as thats the box I used to have, and I found it to be pretty good and hardly ever missed recordings or had corrupted recordings, thanks
  • Options
    creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    hi, after looking around on theses forums Ive decided im going to get one of these (Alba ALDTR160 160GB digital tv recorder) just wondering if anyone knows how it compares to a digifusion (150) as thats the box I used to have, and I found it to be pretty good and hardly ever missed recordings or had corrupted recordings, thanks
    It's very different from the old Digifusion units in terms of user interface, much better IMO. The Freeview+ facilities make it much more convenient to use than the Digifusions. The Digifusions did have one or two features lacking in most current PVRs. IIRC the Digifusions had the ability to maintain two Timeslip buffers and to be able to switch between them. The Alba in common with all the Vestel units does not have a permanently "live" buffer. The buffer has to be initiated by first pressing the Pause button and the buffer is lost if a channel is changed or playback is started. Not having a live buffer has the advantage that the Hard Disk is only running when required for recording or playback and accessing some menu functions.

Colin
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    On the strength of the positive comments re the Alba ALDTR160 I recently bought one as our part of Wales went digital on wednesday (stage 1 so only BBC channels until next month). It was easy to set up and the picture and sound quality is very good. My first recording was on Sat night (Michael McIntyre at 9pm) but on playback I found that although it had recorded from the beginning it stopped recording before the end by a minute or two. Is this normal?
    Today I thought I'd try a few more test timer recordings via the EPG by selecting a few at random to see if they'd record accurately. I admit I did select and then unselect a couple from the EPG but then I found that it totally refused to let me set up a timed recording for anything on BBC 1. I tried switching off and back on again, and I tried recording by using the record button and via options but it wouldn't have it. I didn't try a manual timed recording though - only via the EPG. I checked in the timer log and none were listed. Any other channel would underline in red on the EPG without a problem. BUT after perhaps 10 or 15 minutes of trying it suddenly underlined in red all the BBC1 programmes I'd previously clicked on and tried to set up a timed recording for. Has anyone else noticed behaviour similar to this before? I wondered if it was doing something else in the background but why did it only affect BBC1?
    Any comments/advice would be much appreciated on this and the recordings finishing early issue (I realise that it's down to the broadcaster to set up the signal correctly but I rather hoped it was only an occasional problem - or was I just unlucky?).

Please excuse any incorrect terms I may have used - I'm new to Freeview and this type of machine. My other recorder is a Liteon which we still use to record from Sky.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I recently bought a Hitachi PVR which is essentially the same machine as yours. I too recorded the Michael Macintyre program on Sat, but mine didn't miss the end as yours did I'm afraid. It is down to the broadcasters to send the accurate recording signals, so maybe Hitachi modified the Vestel software to add a couple of minutes to the end just in case, as all my recordings all have a minute or two of the adds or next program, except where I set the next program to record in which case it ends slightly sooner.

Others have reported some odd problems on Vestel units similar to what you say, how many recordings are in your timer list?. Some folks report that the EPG becomes incredibly slow with many timers set (30-40 or more) that could be the cause of the EPG problems.

From what I have read if you get a good vestel based machine, they are very good, but get a bad one and it can be a complete pain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is down to the broadcasters to send the accurate recording signals, so maybe Hitachi modified the Vestel software to add a couple of minutes to the end just in case, as all my recordings all have a minute or two of the adds or next program, except where I set the next program to record in which case it ends slightly sooner.
    I'm almost 100% certain that the Hitachi (Vestel) software is like all the other Vestel T825 PVRs and does not add padding to recordings. It's common for commercial broadcasters to add variable amounts of advert breaks which really belong at the end of the previous programme to the beginning of recordings. If they implemented Accurate Recording correctly those adverts would be placed at the end of recordings of the previous programme.

Colin
  • Options
    PTDPTD Posts: 1,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    callwing wrote: »

My first recording was on Sat night (Michael McIntyre at 9pm) but on playback I found that although it had recorded from the beginning it stopped recording before the end by a minute or two. Is this normal?

I recently bought a Hitachi PVR which is essentially the same machine as yours. I too recorded the Michael Macintyre program on Sat, but mine didn't miss the end as yours did I'm afraid. It is down to the broadcasters to send the accurate recording signals, so maybe Hitachi modified the Vestel software to add a couple of minutes to the end just in case, as all my recordings all have a minute or two of the adds or next program, except where I set the next program to record in which case it ends slightly sooner.

creddish wrote: »
    I'm almost 100% certain that the Hitachi (Vestel) software is like all the other Vestel T825 PVRs and does not add padding to recordings. It's common for commercial broadcasters to add variable amounts of advert breaks which really belong at the end of the previous programme to the beginning of recordings. If they implemented Accurate Recording correctly those adverts would be placed at the end of recordings of the previous programme.

Colin

I think this situation nicely reinforces my view that the AR information is set independently for each region. West Yorkshire have done a better job of it than West Wales in this instance.

I have noticed before that users in other regions to mine have reported adverts being included at the start of the recording whereas my recordings of the exact same programmes have started at the beginning of the programme, and left adverts right at the end.

There is no 'correct' way of placing the advert breakpoints, it's completely at the discretion of the broadcaster. I prefer the opposite approach; keep the ads at the start so the recording can finish as soon as possible ready for the next programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PTD wrote: »
    I think this situation nicely reinforces my view that the AR information is set independently for each region. West Yorkshire have done a better job of it than West Wales in this instance.

I have noticed before that users in other regions to mine have reported adverts being included at the start of the recording whereas my recordings of the exact same programmes have started at the beginning of the programme, and left adverts right at the end.

It is certainly the case that Users in different Regions have posted different Accurate Recording start and finish times but I'm not sure how widespread these variations are. Big-less and I are are in different Regions and he has reported differences from me on ITV programmes consistently over a period of time which suggested that different advert insertion practices were being applied in our different Regions. Conversely "savvy" and I did some comparisons whilst assessing the Accurate Recording of our Humax PVRs which showed identical results in our different Regions. I certainly get the impression that general practice is consistent across most Regions with just a few exceptions.
    There is no 'correct' way of placing the advert breakpoints, it's completely at the discretion of the broadcaster. I prefer the opposite approach; keep the ads at the start so the recording can finish as soon as possible ready for the next programme.

IMO there is a "correct" way which is the way that the BBC do it. i.e. they start the programme at the point where they display the channel ident followed almost immediately with the voice announcement of the programme. Any other supplementary information not forming part of the programme content such as information on future programmes and previews is tacked on at the end within the allocated duration of the time slot. I think ITV also believe that the "correct" way is similar to what the BBC do. i.e. the programme should start at the point where the announcement of the programme is made (where there is an announcement) or at the start of the programme sponsor message if there is one of these. It is clear from allocation of the time slots that the advert break between programmes is allocated in the schedule to the end of the previous programme. ITV followed this practice for a year or so until in February 2008 when they announced that they were changing there policy (obviously for commercial reasons) to include the inter-programme advert break at the beginning of recordings. This resulted in such recordings starting 3 or 4 minutes before the scheduled time of the programmes (assuming the programmes were running on time). They appeared to modify this behaviour during mid 2008 to applying the new policy mainly to daytime programmes and not to evening peak viewing times and prior to public service programmes (news etc). For a month or so recently ITV1 was starting the evening soaps recordings about 20 seconds into the programme so the initial announcement, the sponsor message and most of the signature tune was missed. Consequently the end of the recordings included all the adverts and previews etc and about 20 seconds of the next programme.

I would certainly expect that the the Policy of the majority of the DTG Freeview+ authority is that recordings should start at the beginning of programmes.

Personally I prefer what I describe above as the "correct" way. I dislike having to scroll through un-necessary padding in the form of adverts although for Humax owners this has the advantage of masking the late start bug on those PVRs.

Colin
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

Colin

I think you're right, adverts do seem to appear at the beginning on some channels and not on others.
  • Options
    PTDPTD Posts: 1,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is certainly the case that Users in different Regions have posted different Accurate Recording start and finish times but I'm not sure how widespread these variations are. Big-less and I are are in different Regions and he has reported differences from me on ITV programmes consistently over a period of time which suggested that different advert insertion practices were being applied in our different Regions. Conversely "savvy" and I did some comparisons whilst assessing the Accurate Recording of our Humax PVRs which showed identical results in our different Regions. I certainly get the impression that general practice is consistent across most Regions with just a few exceptions.

IMO there is a "correct" way which is the way that the BBC do it. i.e. they start the programme at the point where they display the channel ident followed almost immediately with the voice announcement of the programme. Any other supplementary information not forming part of the programme content such as information on future programmes and previews is tacked on at the end within the allocated duration of the time slot. I think ITV also believe that the "correct" way is similar to what the BBC do. i.e. the programme should start at the point where the announcement of the programme is made (where there is an announcement) or at the start of the programme sponsor message if there is one of these. It is clear from allocation of the time slots that the advert break between programmes is allocated in the schedule to the end of the previous programme. ITV followed this practice for a year or so until in February 2008 when they announced that they were changing there policy (obviously for commercial reasons) to include the inter-programme advert break at the beginning of recordings. This resulted in such recordings starting 3 or 4 minutes before the scheduled time of the programmes (assuming the programmes were running on time). They appeared to modify this behaviour during mid 2008 to applying the new policy mainly to daytime programmes and not to evening peak viewing times and prior to public service programmes (news etc). For a month or so recently ITV1 was starting the evening soaps recordings about 20 seconds into the programme so the initial announcement, the sponsor message and most of the signature tune was missed. Consequently the end of the recordings included all the adverts and previews etc and about 20 seconds of the next programme.

I would certainly expect that the the Policy of the majority of the DTG Freeview+ authority is that recordings should start at the beginning of programmes.

Personally I prefer what I describe above as the "correct" way. I dislike having to scroll through un-necessary padding in the form of adverts although for Humax owners this has the advantage of masking the late start bug on those PVRs.

Colin

You can't have polled all 15 regions! And I don't fancy trying to arrange such an experiment. It doesn't really matter what the differences are anyway though. What matters is that we don't need to find reasons why the identical pvrs are behaving differently under the same apparent conditions. First check if they are in different regions.

BBC haven't really got much choice in the matter, with barely a minute or so between programmes. Perhaps it's necessary for trailer booking, or whatever it's called, when it eventually arrives.

Incidently, I checked a recording of Emmerdale tonight. It started recording a little earlier than scheduled and captured everything from the opening sizzle of the theme music cymbal til the start of the next programme. This is par for the course for ITV1, at about this time of the night, in my region. Probably about as precise as BBC. Yet at no time have they ever included ads at the start of the recording.

But ITV1 at other periods of the day, and other ITV channels at all times of the day are not so precisely organised, putting it politely. Other regions may vary. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    When I used to press the info button while watching a program I got the main details at the bottom of the screen then a second press gave me much more info but the second press now does nothing. Does anyone else have this problem?
  • Options
    futaurafutaura Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4braid wrote: »
    When I used to press the info button while watching a program I got the main details at the bottom of the screen then a second press gave me much more info but the second press now does nothing. Does anyone else have this problem?
    This is an intentional feature of the V13.0 software update that was broadcast last weekend, which is discussed at http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1279238 - basically that feature has been disabled because of patents owned by Gemstar. You can still get at the programme info via the EPG though (and it still works on the timer and library screens).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    futaura wrote: »
    This is an intentional feature of the V13.0 software update that was broadcast last weekend, which is discussed at http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1279238 - basically that feature has been disabled because of patents owned by Gemstar. You can still get at the programme info via the EPG though (and it still works on the timer and library screens).
    Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can roll it back as I liked that feature.