Flight Connection - minimum time required?

nexty2nexty2 Posts: 511
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm flying from Los Angeles (LAX airport) to Belfast International Airport (via New York Newark Airport) in August 2011. I've been searching for flights on Opodo.com. The best flight option it is bringing me up has a 55minute connection time between getting off the flight from LAX in Newark and the flight from Newark to Belfast taking off.

Both flights arrive and depart respectively from the same terminal at Newark - terminal C and the flights would be booked together through Opodo.com. The flight from LAX to Newark is with Continental Airlines. It says the flight from Newark to Belfast is with Lufthansa but I know that Continental Airlines are the only company to fly this route so it must be with them too??:confused:

Is it actually possible to have a 55minute connection window? Would bags be automatically transferred to the next flight? Do you have to go through security etc etc again?

Comments

• InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say you should be fine. Your bags are checked all the way to Belfast so you won't need to pick them up and if it's the same terminal etc then you won't need to go through any more security. The Newark terminals aren't huge either so you won't have any issues moving between gates. I've spent many many hours at Newark airport. :)

If you were coming from Belfast I'd say forget it as immigration alone can take a long time. I once had to jump a security queue and beg a security guard to let me go to the front once at Chicago airport due to an insane wait at immigration and security. Luckily she let me through. I was the last passenger on the plane. It was so close my bags had already been removed from the plane!

Terminal map:

http://www.ifly.com/resources/img/airports/sub-terminal-maps/Newark-EWR-terminalC.jpg

I recommend the McDonalds in that terminal if you get time.
  • nexty2nexty2 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your helpful reply. Would be nice to just hop off one flight and go (or dash) onto the next! I'm only booking a one-way flight from LAX to Belfast so I don't need to worry about any connection in reverse. It is regarded as a domestic transfer because I'm coming from a US airport? Would I be correct in saying that?!
  • fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    it is a bit tight, i've left longer between flights and missed the connections due to a delay
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Domestic = internal flight not leaving the country. So LAX -> Newark is domestic. Newark -> Belfast will be international departure.

I've looked and Lufthansa is indeed operated by Continental at Newark Terminal C, so you'd be boarding a Continental plane I imagine. Airlines often partner up like this. You'll get to the gate and the screen will have both flight details so don't panic if at first it's saying a different flight number, they often change a few seconds later to show the partner flight number.

It will be easy, just hop off the plane and look at the nearest screen for the gate number. Simple. The only way you'll be in trouble is if your first flight is late.. if so make sure you alert the plane staff and have them make sure you're first off. :)
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds a bit tight to me if there are any delays on your first leg - how long would your delay be if you missed the Belfast flight? I presume there are far more flights from LA to Newark than Newark to Belfast so I'd feel more comfortable booking an earlier one.
  • nexty2nexty2 Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all your speedy replies :). I think it would be possible to do the 55minute transfer. However, since my travel doesn't have to occur on that specific date I'm going to fly a day earlier and have a 3hour transfer period in Newark to avoid any unecessary stress if the LAX - Newark flight is late. I can get a nice McDonalds in Newark to pass the time!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah grab a McD's and just go sit at an empty gate. That's what I always did. Time soon passes by. I think my record for Newark was 5 and a half hours between flights. Theres a place that does pizza too. Well there was back when I was last there. A few bars too.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Good luck - but I think this is too short a connection time. Your flight may land an hour before (assuming its on time) but it has to taxi and it may be another 30 mins before you get off. The shorter the connection time - the more chance as well you have of your luggage not making it onto your connecting flight (your luggage will be checked through - but that doesn't mean it will always make it onto your flight - it may follow the next day)

If you were flying to London I would be relaxed as there will be several flights a day. However there will only be one Belfast flight daily so if you miss it you may have to spend a night in New York.

Having connected in US airports - its doable - but you will just feel very stressed the whole time on your flight from LAX worrying about your tight connection time. Its up to you!

You want to enjoy travelling - and not be stressed (flying is stressful enough as it is).

Continental also do a flight from LAX at 10am to Newark connecting to Belfast which gives a stop over of just under 3 hours in Newark - and thus time to chill out before another long flight. That may be better! Or alternatively fly from LAX to London direct - and then onto Belfast,

PS There are reviews of Newark on this website - terminal C is fine

http://www.airlinequality.com/Airports/Airport_forum/ewr.htm