Cat driving us mad.

GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I need suggestions on how to deal with one of my cats.

We have three. Two are as good as gold, one is absolutely food mad!

He will scratch at the bedroom door at all hours of the morning trying to get one of us up to feed him.
He has ruined the carpet next to the door.

It doesn't bother me because I am hard of hearing so don't hear him scratching away very often. Ruining the carpet does bother me!

My wife is having to eventually give in to him for the sake of some sleep and the carpet.
We have tried squirting water at him, making a lot of noise by suddenly opening the door and banging around with a coat hanger, throwing cushions or something soft at him. He will always come back.
We put a lot of pepper on the carpet outside the bedroom door but it does nothing.

We are trying to avoid actually hurting him, but I think that may be a necessary evil in this case.

My wife has early starts for work, so is suffering with loss of sleep and struggles at work.

The cat is an absolute glutton. He has no medical problems and has been checked regularly by the vet. This cat is absolutely obsessed with food.

Does anyone have any ideas?

At the moment, I have visions of a loaded shotgun in my head! :)

Comments

• Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Put a big bowl of biscuits down he can snack on throughout the night

or

Shut him downstairs
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    Put a big bowl of biscuits down he can snack on throughout the night

or

Shut him downstairs

If we feed him before we go to bed he will still want more.
    I am not happy with leaving biscuits out all night as he will become very obese as opposed to just being podgy as he is now.

Perhaps leaving a full bowl of biscuits out all night is the only solution though, even if it means he puts weight on and has weight related issues.

Sadly, there is no way to shut him downstairs.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    has he been neutered ? we have noticed the Toms we had calmed down a bit after a visit to the vets .

My mums two latest kittens went today one of them is a little monster so she is hoping it calms him down as he has so far wrecked 2 pairs of net curtains terrorised the poor dogs and turned the house upside down she is glad that in a few weeks once they are over the op they can go outside:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All three are Toms and have been done.

I have just had an idea which may work.

Change when we feed them, so that a feed can be put out before we go to bed.

It is worth a try as I don't have a licence for a shotgun! :)
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member

Sadly, there is no way to shut him downstairs.

Is there a way to confine to him to a room with access to catflap/cat litter?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.
    Only way he would have access to a cat flap would also mean he has access to upstairs.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All three are Toms and have been done.

I have just had an idea which may work.

Change when we feed them, so that a feed can be put out before we go to bed.

It is worth a try as I don't have a licence for a shotgun! :)

automatic pet feeder is the thing you need, we have the round ones that turn round for 4 meals but this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Catmate-Automatic-Feeder-C20-Meal/dp/B0002YHUPC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393877329&sr=8-1&keywords=automatic+pet+feeder

is all you need for your purposes, set it before you go to bed for whatever time he tends to start up and he will get his feed whilst you sleep
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We did consider that but were unable to find one for 3 x cats.

Two might work though if we fill the bowls up.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We did consider that but were unable to find one for 3 x cats.

Two might work though if we fill the bowls up.

They only open one at a time if you programme them that way (or in the case of that particular one you can have them both open at the same time), the rotating ones open one bowl at a time, so buy 3.
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what about those toys that you fill with dry crunchies and when they bat it around, some fall out? might keep him occupied as well as getting what he wants.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some cats eat more if its a supermarket type food, ie whiskas or Felix, are the others eating his share as well. With his weight issues do you know how much he weighs and how much do you feed them all each day
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

He will scratch at the bedroom door at all hours of the morning trying to get one of us up to feed him.

It doesn't bother me because I am hard of hearing so don't hear him scratching away very often. Ruining the carpet does bother me!

My wife is having to eventually give in to him for the sake of some sleep and the carpet.
    We have tried squirting water at him, making a lot of noise by suddenly opening the door and banging around with a coat hanger, throwing cushions or something soft at him. He will always come back.
    We put a lot of pepper on the carpet outside the bedroom door but it does nothing.

We are trying to avoid actually hurting him, but I think that may be a necessary evil in this case.

My wife has early starts for work, so is suffering with loss of sleep and struggles at work.

The cat is an absolute glutton. He has no medical problems and has been checked regularly by the vet. This cat is absolutely obsessed with food.

rehome him as soon as you can, he deserves better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    First off, stop with the negative punishments, noise, water guns etc- he's stressed and that makes it worse. You are not treating the cause, you are just responding to the symptoms.

Stressed cats are often obese and greedy and it sounds like he is desperate to get your attention. Does he eat with the other cats? Or does he wait until they are gone?

A trickle feeder that's out all day and night won't make him fatter, he may go at it for a few days like there's no tomorrow, but he'll soon self regulate and won't over eat.

Three toms in a house is a lot, and likely the cause of the issue, some manage fine but others can't cope, so perhaps considering rehoming as a serious option.
  • tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The biggest known stress factors for cats are other cats, so please don't stress him further as he seems stressed enough.

The automatic feeders sound like a good idea, the only problem I can see is (if you don't separate them), greedy guts will probably scoff the lot. :D

I have a cat like that and I feed him separately from my two other neutered tom cats. It's hard work keeping an eye on him, but he's worth it.

I work from home so I am able to keep an eye on him at all times.

Good luck, I really hope you find a solution.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    We had this exact problem, only it was my husband being constantly disturbed by the cat mistress & me getting in a tizz over the carpet.

Watching her eat over a couple of days uncovered the problem. Despite being an only cat, she wolfs her food down like she's never been fed & was clearly burning it all off by 4am. So now we split her evening feed - half at the usual time & half right as we're going to bed.

She hasn't noticed she's getting less food per feed & she hasn't disturbed us before 6am since.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Oh & ignore the negative posts. We all have moments when we want to throttle our pets & I think we'd struggle to find anyone who hasn't considered a good slap on the nose/bum at least once. Doesn't mean we'd go through with it - just shows that you love them enough that they can press your buttons!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rehome him as soon as you can, he deserves better.

Moron!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    First off, stop with the negative punishments, noise, water guns etc- he's stressed and that makes it worse. You are not treating the cause, you are just responding to the symptoms.

Stressed cats are often obese and greedy and it sounds like he is desperate to get your attention. Does he eat with the other cats? Or does he wait until they are gone?

A trickle feeder that's out all day and night won't make him fatter, he may go at it for a few days like there's no tomorrow, but he'll soon self regulate and won't over eat.

Three toms in a house is a lot, and likely the cause of the issue, some manage fine but others can't cope, so perhaps considering rehoming as a serious option.

They all get on fine. They all sleep together out of choice.

The two older cats (Him being one) are brothers and have always been together.
    The third one was introduced a couple of years ago and gets on well with them and in particular with the one that is food mad. These two are seldom apart. They go most places together.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chirpy_Gal wrote: »
    Oh & ignore the negative posts. We all have moments when we want to throttle our pets & I think we'd struggle to find anyone who hasn't considered a good slap on the nose/bum at least once. Doesn't mean we'd go through with it - just shows that you love them enough that they can press your buttons!

Completely agree as long as it's just thinking and threats I see nothing wrong, how many times I have chased our pup threatening death and destruction upon her head I wouldn't like to count, by the time I have caught her we are all laughing and cuddles despite the destruction in her wake. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To any idiot who thinks I would really hurt my cats, I can assure you I won't and don't!

I am just expressing my desperation with a little humour.
    Our cats are well looked after and see the vet regularly and when there are signs of illness or injury.
    In fact, Greedy was the last cat to see the vet because he was throwing up all the time. We all came to the conclusion that he was finding access to somebody's bin and scoffing the contents. The vet found nothing physically wrong.

I have advised my wife to change the feed times and amounts and see what happens.

When they are fed, feeding time is policed because if one cat moves away from a non empty bowl, this greedy cat will be in like a rocket and scoff the lot before moving back to it's own bowl.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry we always get at least one person who believes we all act literally on what we write I always think it says more about them than those of us who are able to laugh with our pets really.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Moron!

twit.
  • GibsonAndyGibsonAndy Posts: 370
    Forum Member

Put him in one of these every time he scratches at the door early in the morning as a punishment.

dog+crate.jpg

Leave him in there until you get up and about, then put his food out.

He'll soon learn to leave you alone and wait.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, we do have one but I think that is a bit extreme.
  • Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, we do have one but I think that is a bit extreme.

Love the humour and do sympathise! My cat lives to be fed, lick off the jelly and immediately yowl for more - drives me mad. Fortunately I can shut him downstairs at night - otherwise he yells hysterically at my bedroom door all night.

I agree that shutting him in a cat box all night is extreme. Would a dog crate be a possibility - if you can't shut him in anywhere downstairs?