Options

BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend 2014

Comments

• Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm absolutely gutted i don't have tickets for this. I was out of the country when the whole thing happened with the tickets and i missed this. I didn't even know it was happening at the time. I couldn't apply. I live in central Glasgow as well, only 15mins away from the venue and everything. So gutted.

I noticed over the past week or two Radio1 were doing competitions to win tickets but funnily enough i noticed that all the applicants who won tickets were from outside Scotland so i think their competition was particularly more for those people who don't live in Glasgow/Scotland so realistically i don't think i would have stood a chance.

What was the process? Did you have to register first and then on a later date apply to win them? Is there any chance of getting tickets off Ebay/Gumtree etc or do the tickets have the owners name printed on them and you have to show proof of ID, etc?

It is a stellar line-up. Pharrell would have been my highlight of the weekend if i was going. True legend! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching this live right now on the Red Button live from George Square in Glasgow for the Dance Party where the Radio1 DJ's are playing their sets. Danny Howard has been on, Annie Mac is on now with Zane Lowe and Pete Tong to come later, along with special guests Tiesto and Martin Garrix.

Have to say the crowd seem rubbish and not really up for it. Everyone just seems to be standing around. Lol. It's still early though i suppose.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I'm absolutely gutted i don't have tickets for this. I was out of the country when the whole thing happened with the tickets and i missed this. I didn't even know it was happening at the time. I couldn't apply. I live in central Glasgow as well, only 15mins away from the venue and everything. So gutted.

I noticed over the past week or two Radio1 were doing competitions to win tickets but funnily enough i noticed that all the applicants who won tickets were from outside Scotland so i think their competition was particularly more for those people who don't live in Glasgow/Scotland so realistically i don't think i would have stood a chance.

What was the process? Did you have to register first and then on a later date apply to win them? Is there any chance of getting tickets off Ebay/Gumtree etc or do the tickets have the owners name printed on them and you have to show proof of ID, etc?

It is a stellar line-up. Pharrell would have been my highlight of the weekend if i was going. True legend! :(

You register, apply, and hope you get lucky. Usually if your from near where it's being held you stand a better chance so you would have been a shoe in :p.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Watching this live right now on the Red Button live from George Square in Glasgow for the Dance Party where the Radio1 DJ's are playing their sets. Danny Howard has been on, Annie Mac is on now with Zane Lowe and Pete Tong to come later, along with special guests Tiesto and Martin Garrix.

Have to say the crowd seem rubbish and not really up for it. Everyone just seems to be standing around. Lol. It's still early though i suppose.

The crowds are generally poor at these free events imo. Full of people who never go to gigs/festivals.

Will be catching as much of this over the weekend as I can.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it everytime the camera pans into the audience all they show is neds with skinheads?! :o Jesus Christ!

A quarter of the audience seem to be just them! Lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stu_Mck5 wrote: »
    The crowds are generally poor at these free events imo. Full of people who never go to gigs/festivals.

The crowd have certainly picked up now with Zane Lowe dj'ing, plus there seem to be a lot more people there now than before.
  • Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    The crowd seem dull tonight
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just listening to it on the radio.

I know a lot of people don't care for Zane, but he plays a mean DJ set.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How bad is Pete Tong's dj set? He doesn't look happy one bit, nor does he actually look like he's enjoying himself.

I think he may be having some technical difficulties as the guy who was setting up his laptop and dj equipment before he came on while Zane Lowe was finishing his set appeared later on trying to do something to Tong's equipment. Something is definetely up but i've no idea what the problem is.

If you're watching this on tv there's no atmosphere, no energy, nothing. From the shots i've seen of the audience the crowd are busy chatting amongst themselves. Tong has barely interacted with the audience. He just looks grumpy. Whole thing's terrible!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha! They've had to bring out Scott Mills and Greg James with massive big balls to get the audience excited! Lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Martin Garrix has been brilliant
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Closed the set with The Macarena :)
  • Options
    ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    Audience looks up for it now, I'd love to go to something like this
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Crowd really got going during Garrix. His was a better set than Tiesto imo.
  • Options
    big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't say I'm a one direction fan but fair play to them, they were really good.

They actually gave a lot of really good songs:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stu_Mck5 wrote: »
    Crowd really got going during Garrix. His was a better set than Tiesto imo.

Yeah by miles, I wasn't fussed by Tiesto, but Garrix was amazing.

1D were fantastic, Coasts were impressive and Bastille are doing great
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wouldn't say I'm a one direction fan but fair play to them, they were really good.

They actually gave a lot of really good songs:blush:

I just watched it live on the red button and wish posters who say they don't sing live had watched it. Totally live and really put on a show
  • Options
    Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    Lilly Allen ....is so surprising live.... she has that je ne said quoi
    .... she is so right for a festival style live audience... sure she is singing pop but she is earnest in her vocal .... warts and all..... just like every rock act ...very engaging .... and very singalong ....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not watching on the Red Button but on BBC3 instead who are broadcasting live. Just had an hour of Lily Allen and Ed Sheeran. Lily was good, quite liked her. Not a fan of Sheeran, his songs are just too girly for me.

Now it's highlights of One Direction and Pharrell Williams. Really looking forward to Skateboard P!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watching 1D sing Midnight Memories on BBC3, oh my god what a load of shit! Get them off for f*cks sake and put on some proper music!
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One Direction, No thanks. They are terrible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No wonder R1 had them open the festival because if they were the headline act of the night the audience would bottle them off the stage!!! Just total crap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No wonder R1 had them open the festival because if they were the headline act of the night the audience would bottle them off the stage!!! Just total crap.

They opened because they have a concert tonight. Just saying. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rawr wrote: »
    They opened because they have a concert tonight. Just saying. ;-)

Thank our lucky stars! :D
  • Options
    Charlie_TrenchCharlie_Trench Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XnRBPN4b18

After watching this, I say Glasgow needs to host this event every year!

The guys up there clearly do it in ****ing style!!! :)