Options

E Cig in plane toilet: Smoke Alarm?

Comments

• Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NII 88 wrote: »
    Thanks for a definitive answer. I have tested the E Cig I use on a Kide smoke/carbon monoxide detector at home, it doesn't trigger this, (a Ten Motives E Cig doesn't create a lot of vapour) but I guess my alarm is a very different spec from ones used in aviation.

On your advice I will buy a vapour free Nicorette inhalator for the flight and use it in the comfort of my seat.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I guess you didnt read my post #10 that quoted BA's website saying E-Cigs are not allowed to be used on their flights then.

You asked for advice and I researched it for you, I might have saved myself the bother if you were going to ignore it and do your own thing anyway
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    It's threads like this that make me so glad I quit smoking and before there were such things as Ecigs.

It amazes me how much people must earn to afford almost £9 a packet cigarettes and afford long-haul holidays! So much for austerity Britain!
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    It amazes me how much people must earn to afford almost £9 a packet cigarettes and afford long-haul holidays! So much for austerity Britain!

No 'almost' about it. A pack of 20 Marlboro Gold will cost you over £9 as of April.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lozenger wrote: »
    I guess you didnt read my post #10 that quoted BA's website saying E-Cigs are not allowed to be used on their flights then.

You asked for advice and I researched it for you, I might have saved myself the bother if you were going to ignore it and do your own thing anyway

The advice that I asked for was specific. I am well aware that BA along with many other airlines introduced restrictions on E Cig use in 2009 after a guy tried to murder the passengers on a Northwest flight with explosive underpants and that other passengers may mistake E Cig vapour for WMD's.

My post was asking if vapour sets off toilet smoke alarms. When I googled this there was conflicting information. Some passengers have used E Cigs in toilets with success, others claim it had set off alarms. A poster who works in the aviation industry gave a definitive answer to my question.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it smokers think it is there god given right to smoke and first damage and sometimes kill as in Roy Castle with passive smoking, now with the e-cigs will take a chance to cause a fire in a plane, that will at the very least delay the plane and ruin everyone else trip.
    i hope if this poster goes ahead, they do get caught, arrested and jailed or at least get sent home without the holiday and fined a huge amount.
  • Options
    g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know about an ecig setting off a fire alarm, but my farts do!
  • Options
    richcleverrichclever Posts: 12,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lozenger wrote: »

myscimitar wrote: »
    Why is it smokers think it is there god given right to smoke and first damage and sometimes kill as in Roy Castle with passive smoking, now with the e-cigs will take a chance to cause a fire in a plane, that will at the very least delay the plane and ruin everyone else trip.
    i hope if this poster goes ahead, they do get caught, arrested and jailed or at least get sent home without the holiday and fined a huge amount.

The poster did listen to the advice and has decided to get a Nicorette inhalator which in no way can be called an E-cig. They are merely a plastic tube with a capsule which contains nicotene. No vapour, no battery. I would say to the OP to double check these are also OK but I've not heard anywhere that they aren't.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »

The same Roy Castle of whom there is zero proof he was killed by passive smoking you mean?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »

Some people earn lots of money, that's how capitalist economies work. I have a decent job and so does my wife, £9 a pack and a holiday is easily do-able.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NII 88 wrote: »
    The advice that I asked for was specific. I am well aware that BA along with many other airlines introduced restrictions on E Cig use in 2009 after a guy tried to murder the passengers on a Northwest flight with explosive underpants and that other passengers may mistake E Cig vapour for WMD's.

My post was asking if vapour sets off toilet smoke alarms. When I googled this there was conflicting information. Some passengers have used E Cigs in toilets with success, others claim it had set off alarms. A poster who works in the aviation industry gave a definitive answer to my question.

I always have a puff of my e-cig when flying. Not sure about the toilets though, I just stay in my seat.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Who said anything about smoking?

E-Cigarettes don't work via combustion - they aren't legally the same as smoking tobacco.

The airline may have still taken it upon themselves (illogically) to ban them though, so the OP should check.

If it was me I'd just do it carefully 'under a coat' in the main cabin and nobody will ever know either way.

No e-cigarette should be able to set off a smoke alarm unless it's badly made or faulty.

Even buses have banned them so I'm sure Emirates will do the same
  • Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me i would just do without, i used to smoke normal tabs until 3 years ago and had quite a few long distance flights early 2000s and easily went without a smoke. I wouldn't dream of farting on these days having a sly one on a plane.
    Just out of interest OP which 10Motives do you use?, i like the menthol version, i used to try the flavour ones like strawberry etc but they seem to have changed them, far too bitter.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »
    I always have a puff of my e-cig when flying. Not sure about the toilets though, I just stay in my seat.

You've been lucky not to be told to stop - or worse. Every airline I am aware of bans their use onboard (but they are allowed in hand luggage). The main reason is the sight of someone "smoking" may cause alarm to other passengers or make them think it's OK for them to smoke a normal cigarettes.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    You've been lucky not to be told to stop - or worse. Every airline I am aware of bans their use onboard (but they are allowed in hand luggage). The main reason is the sight of someone "smoking" may cause alarm to other passengers or make them think it's OK for them to smoke a normal cigarettes.

What planet have these 'passengers' been living on for the last quarter of a century:confused:
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What planet have these 'passengers' been living on for the last quarter of a century:confused:

I quite agree but the way airline safety works is never to underestimate the stupidity of people.
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you should use nicotine patches or gum for the flight or go without
    maybe watch a movie or something to take your mind off the nicotine monkey on your back going "eek eek eek" lol
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valium, sleeping tablet, as many mini bottles of wine as they will let you have and go to sleep.

(Drink is problematic these days though too. You have to wheedle enough to hit the mark, without appearing to be a potential problem and you can't pre-load too much in the Terminal or they won't let you on the flight)

4mg Nicotine Gum for when you are awake. Stick it under the seat rest when done to register your protest at modern life and its silly rules.
  • Options
    spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a vaper and I'll be peed off when I next fly and am unable to vape. I will complain as I speak my mind but will respect their rules however silly they are.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw someone puffing away in the outpatients department of my local hospital. Then I saw it was artificial, but until then I didn't know they gave off vapour that looks like smoke. (Is there no way they can design them so they don't do that?)

Anyway, a nurse was on to them pretty sharpish and told them to stop, as it was setting a bad example in a smoke-free environment.
  • Options
    spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw someone puffing away in the outpatients department of my local hospital. Then I saw it was artificial, but until then I didn't know they gave off vapour that looks like smoke. (Is there no way they can design them so they don't do that?)

Anyway, a nurse was on to them pretty sharpish and told them to stop, as it was setting a bad example in a smoke-free environment.

It still is a smoke free environment as it's steam and no worse than a kettle boiling.
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I'm an ex smoker that has moved onto vaping and think the comments here encouraging people to vape on planes when it's not allowed are shocking. As others have pointed out it could cause delays, even flights cancelled to other passengers, not to mention any physical danger, or alarming passengers or staff that a potentially dangerous substance had been brought on board. If vaping wasn't available would you go into the toilet and smoke a cigarette and blow the smoke down the toilet to try and hide it? It's only 11 hours. Suck on it constantly for an hour before you get on and then for two when you get off.
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you want to break the rules you might as well put a condom over the smoke detector and smoke a normal cigarette
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Valium, sleeping tablet, as many mini bottles of wine as they will let you have and go to sleep.

(Drink is problematic these days though too. You have to wheedle enough to hit the mark, without appearing to be a potential problem and you can't pre-load too much in the Terminal or they won't let you on the flight)

4mg Nicotine Gum for when you are awake. Stick it under the seat rest when done to register your protest at modern life and its silly rules.

Cool. Where do I get the valium from?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spotty_cat wrote: »
    It still is a smoke free environment as it's steam and no worse than a kettle boiling.

It may also contain nicotine traces so it's certainly not akin to a kettle boiling.
  • Options
    Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I must admit I've been vaping in plane loos for a couple of years. Never even occurred to me that it would set a smoke alarm off. Guess they must be different to ones you would have in your house otherwise you would risk an alarm going off every time you boiled a kettle - and don't even talk about steaming wall-paper off in the vicinity!