Options

trivial things that annoy you about football

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    TheMunch wrote: »
    Players refusing to celebrate against former clubs. Not exactly for all cases, as I can understand the sentiment but it can be annoying. Spend a couple years at a club, move, then score and then they just put their hands up as if to say they aren't celebrating, then get all the praise for being a top guy. If Torres ever gets a goal against Liverpool I'd want him to celebrate.
    I watched an old ep of A League of Their Own the other night and this was Jamie Redknapp's top annoyance.

Jack Whitehall commented on how respectful Torres was to Liverpool when going back with Chelsea by not scoring :D

btw, Freddie Flintoff's top annoyance was drunken sportspeople :p
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never liked how when the ref would call a foul, all that players team mates just gang round him and in some cases are clearly screaming in his face. I have yet to see a ref change his mind thanks to the intimidation haha.
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This still winds me up 4 years later. One of the dirtiest players in PL history saying other teams were dirty:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8066545/Hughes-leaps-to-Murphys-defence.html

Eh, Danny Murphy wasn;t a dirty player.
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Players refusing to celebrate against former clubs. Not exactly for all cases, as I can understand the sentiment but it can be annoying. Spend a couple years at a club, move, then score and then they just put their hands up as if to say they aren't celebrating, then get all the praise for being a top guy. If Torres ever gets a goal against Liverpool I'd want him to celebrate.

One of the main thing that annoys me, is when people say who they support or who they don't like as if it adds to their opinion. "I'm a Liverpool fan, but Paul Scholes was a great player". Or "R.I.P. Newcastle fans who died. Aston Villa fan". It's as if they want people to see them as a good football fan capable of putting side football rivalries and seeing things in a neutral perspective. You don't look any better for being a fan and saying R.I.P. to people who happened to support another club or recognising when someone is a great player.

It's really annoying when you see someone like Shaun Wright-Phillips not celebrating against Chelsea (for QPR) even though Chelsea left him rotting on the bench for years. It's not as if he was a Chelsea legend. I can vaguely understand a long-serving club legend not celebrating but not some journeyman.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed. The only time I'd not like it is if they puropsely do it right in front of their old fans in a provocative manner having not had any stick. Otherwise, no problem at all.

Robin Van Persie didn't celebrate when he scored against Arsenal in a couple of games, but by the 3rd game having been booed throughout, called a rapist etc, he obviously thought 'f**k it' and slid away on his knees.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Agreed. The only time I'd not like it is if they puropsely do it right in front of their old fans in a provocative manner having not had any stick. Otherwise, no problem at all.

Robin Van Persie didn't celebrate when he scored against Arsenal in a couple of games, but by the 3rd game having been booed throughout, called a rapist etc, he obviously thought 'f**k it' and slid away on his knees.

Completely agree. Torres has had plenty of abuse from Liverpool fans so he has every right to celebrate. On the other hand, Torres was loved at Liverpool so he might think he shouldn't celebrate. Should Victor Moses play and score against us he has no reason not to celebrate. He was only on loan and our fans weren't exactly pleasant towards him.

I remember seeing on the LFC channel once a few years ago, I think it was David Thompson, in which case it was Coventry City. Can't find it on YouTube so I can't confirm it. But he scored for Coventry, a great blast from near the half-way line into the Liverpool net. He celebrated like mad, jumped in the air and you could read his lips saying something like "F-OFF". I liked him for that because it was a great goal. He's from Birkenhead, too, and may have grown up to be a Liverpool fan. Had he put his hands up and just walked back into starting position I'd have lost a lot of respect for him.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He made a habit of scoring ridiculous goals for us the short time he was here. Magical times, aside from the whole relegation part.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think it's nice when footballers don't celebrate (or at least pretend not to celebrate) scoring against their former clubs. They had fought for that club, been supported by the club's fans, made friends with the players and the people behind the scenes at that club. Those feelings can't go away from one day to the next, just because a player is now wearing a different coloured shirt.

Dennis Low has apparently regretted scoring 'that goal' against United for over 30 years.

I'm sure Lampard wouldn't celebrate scoring against Chelsea, even though inside he would probably be doing somersaults.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coaches acting as entourages. Why are they there? As far as I can tell all you need is the manager, assistant manager, physio(s) and subs. Maybe the GK coach to prepare a sub gk, but the rest are needless.
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,852
    Forum Member
    The chant "we support our local team"
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Players wages.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pre-Match & Post-Match discussion

I've often noticed pundits, like a child, use the newest word on the playground to describe something. Don't like it.

Players writing personal messages on their t-shirts
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    That awful heart shaped sh1te celebration with their hands. You are not a 6 year old girl (even if you are wearing a girl's alice band Gareth Bale!) so stop it!

Sounds harsh but the pointing to the sky thing I find a bit icky as well. I know its a sentimental thing but I doubt they'd do it at Sunday football.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    You are not a 6 year old girl (even if you are wearing a girl's alice band Gareth Bale!)

He gets his styling tips from CR7, so what do you expect :D Seriously though, he is starting to look more and more like Cristiano's long lost twin
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »
    He gets his styling tips from CR7, so what do you expect :D Seriously though, he is starting to look more and more like Cristiano's long lost twin

I obviously think Ronaldo is an amazing footballer but I would not let him take me dancing! Eww eww eww - this whole oily, muscley, groomed thing does not float my boat. Like you say Bale is morphing into him more and more by the day.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    I never liked how when the ref would call a foul, all that players team mates just gang round him and in some cases are clearly screaming in his face. I have yet to see a ref change his mind thanks to the intimidation haha.

Already explained. They won't change their mind but youre a fool if you think constant intimidation doesn't affect future decisions.
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    I don't like the word "people" being used instead of "players".

As in "he needs to pass the ball more to people".

Who started it? Possibly Big Ron.

Taylor was also guilty. And Pleat, I think.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    More amusing than annoying but apparently today Suarez has vowed never to bite any player again :D
  • Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheesy goal celebrations, players taking corners when the ball is outside the quad and endless repeats of misses on TV for me.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Already explained. They won't change their mind but youre a fool if you think constant intimidation doesn't affect future decisions.

But if both sides are doing it, which side does the ref back down to? it would end up with refs never taking any action for fear of, something. They should just employ convicts as refs. Lets see Rooney and co try to bully Charles Bronson into not booking him haha.
  • Options
    mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So that makes it alright then......

If the referee booked players for doing it, that would soon put a stop to it.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't make it alright, it shows why it's done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    I obviously think Ronaldo is an amazing footballer but I would not let him take me dancing! Eww eww eww - this whole oily, muscley, groomed thing does not float my boat. Like you say Bale is morphing into him more and more by the day.

Hehe, I think Cristiano is naturally a very good-looking guy and I admire him for how seriously he approaches football and how hard he works in order to stay on top, but to me he looked better when he was 18-20-ish, before he turned orange and got crazy hair cuts that not even the best looking man in the world could pull off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mattlamb wrote: »
    So that makes it alright then......

If the referee booked players for doing it, that would soon put a stop to it.

I never said it was ok, just explained why they did it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    But if both sides are doing it, which side does the ref back down to? it would end up with refs never taking any action for fear of, something. They should just employ convicts as refs. Lets see Rooney and co try to bully Charles Bronson into not booking him haha.

Psychologically refs are affected by players surrounding them everytime, whether they know it or not. Some teams are worse than others, it's no coincidence that Man Utd under Ferguson were one of the worse ones.