Chasing Shadows

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    Horrid I know, but found this show funny.

I felt that the RS character was ridiculous, but the situations and supporting cast did make up for the credibility gap a bit.

Any show that has Alex Kingston in it is worth a look in......

She is over acting in it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horrid I know, but found this show funny.

I felt that the RS character was ridiculous, but the situations and supporting cast did make up for the credibility gap a bit.

Any show that has Alex Kingston in it is worth a look in......

Agree, I will watch it tngt again, as she at least is worth watching and a great actress.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is over acting in it.

Don't care.

Had the hots for Alex since she got her kit off in Moll Flanders....:D
    Forum Member
    myscimitar wrote: »
    I loved LOG, infact I saw it twice live on stage, but even in that I thought Steve Pemberton and Mark Gatiss played much deeper and darker parts. but mental problems need a great actor to play the part, John Malkovich in 'Of Mice and Men' was brilliant as was Dustin Hoffam in 'The Rainman' both I really believed in, even Clémence Poésy in 'The Tunnel' managed to act this sort of part much better.

You don't know your LoG then. As Shearsmith played all the darkest character - quite brilliantly. It is madness to bang on about him not having any skill at acting . Simply incorrect.
    Forum Member
    Don't care.

Had the hots for Alex since she got her kit off in Moll Flanders....:D

Fair enough!
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven`t watched any of this (not a Kingston fan) but it gets a comprehensive kicking in this week`s Radio Times - A full-page demolition.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    I haven`t watched any of this (not a Kingston fan) but it gets a comprehensive kicking in this week`s Radio Times - A full-page demolition.
    It does indeed, but I don't know, I think Chasing Shadows is fairly harmless even if not that brilliant. It's the stuff that's inexplicably overpraised as the UK's answer to all the great American telly, but isn't actually any good, that irks me more. Like The Hour and Peaky Blinders.

In the RadioTimes article, the author bludgeons CS for its dumb expositional dialogue, which hey, is true, but Peaky Blinders had some howling clunkers throughout its run, too, and yet because a lot of reviewers have decided to ignore that because they think it's stylish, it gets a free pass on that.

I guess I'm saying, I feel like if CS had been directed with a more stylish flair, people wouldn't be noticing the dialogue isn't that great, as they don't seem to notice with other just as blandly written shows.

Maybe it'd have more potential if they got in another writer to help out.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lovinluka wrote: »
    It does indeed, but I don't know, I think Chasing Shadows is fairly harmless even if not that brilliant. It's the stuff that's inexplicably overpraised as the UK's answer to all the great American telly, but isn't actually any good, that irks me more. Like The Hour and Peaky Blinders.

IIRC The Hour is also singled out in this week`s issue as deservedly cancelled. I missed Peaky Blinders first time out and have tried to watch the repeats this week on BBC2 but it`s such laughable wannabe HBO stuff I can`t be bothered with it after trudging through two and a bit eps. Music score is lamentably inappropriate too and the whole thing is so in love with itself and it`s production values it`s just unwatchable.
    Forum Member
    lovinluka wrote: »

In the RadioTimes article, the author bludgeons CS for its dumb expositional dialogue, which hey, is true, but Peaky Blinders had some howling clunkers throughout its run, too, and yet because a lot of reviewers have decided to ignore that because they think it's stylish, it gets a free pass on that.

I guess I'm saying, I feel like if CS had been directed with a more stylish flair, people wouldn't be noticing the dialogue isn't that great, as they don't seem to notice with other just as blandly written shows.

Maybe it'd have more potential if they got in another writer to help out.

Alison Graham wrote that article. It can be completely ignored.
  • tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't hate it, it has the making of a great series, but the script needs improving and they need to change RS for a better actor if there is another series.

My goodness, you are obsessive, aren't you? How many times can you say the same thing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My goodness, you are obsessive, aren't you? How many times can you say the same thing?

All the while other's think he a great actor, which I just don't see.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alison Graham wrote that article. It can be completely ignored.

Do you have some insider knowledge of the lady, to justify that comment? I'm afraid I've no idea who she is. So until there's evidence to the contrary, I'll accept that she's competent at the job she's paid to do.

Welcome back from your holiday, by the way.
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Do you have some insider knowledge of the lady, to justify that comment? I'm afraid I've no idea who she is. So until there's evidence to the contrary, I'll accept that she's competent at the job she's paid to do.

Welcome back from your holiday, by the way.

Thank you.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    You don't know your LoG then. As Shearsmith played all the darkest character - quite brilliantly. It is madness to bang on about him not having any skill at acting . Simply incorrect.

I suppose all the characters were pretty dark though Papa Lazarou is certainly the darkest and Shearsmith has his share of tragic characters as well (plus some great drag). I'd say that Pemberton played some pretty dark ones as well- Herr Lipp, Harvey, Tubbs, Iain, Daddy- and a lot of them were perverse.

I don't see how anyone can watch TLOG and accuse any of them of being bad actors. The sheer range of characters and types all three of them play is enough to prove their acting talent. Yes, they might be more comfortable acting in something they've written and created themselves but they're not the only actors who do better under their own control.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »

She's all right and can be quite funny at times.

I'm really hoping Ruth's son is in this again. Now there's some quality acting :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    I suppose all the characters were pretty dark though Papa Lazarou is certainly the darkest and Shearsmith has his share of tragic characters as well (plus some great drag). I'd say that Pemberton played some pretty dark ones as well- Herr Lipp, Harvey, Tubbs, Iain, Daddy- and a lot of them were perverse.

I don't see how anyone can watch TLOG and accuse any of them of being bad actors. The sheer range of characters and types all three of them play is enough to prove their acting talent. Yes, they might be more comfortable acting in something they've written and created themselves but they're not the only actors who do better under their own control.

In some ways I agree, but think Pemberton has gone onto play some great parts after ie Whitechapel, and even comedy, and Gatiss, a bit of rubbish actor, playing vicars or posh idiots, he has turned into a great writer. Shearsmith was not bad as some of the TLOG, charactors, but since his acting weakness are for parts written by others, He just can't take the script and give it that extra or believability.
    Forum Member
    In some ways I agree, but think Pemberton has gone onto play some great parts after ie Whitechapel, and even comedy, and Gatiss, a bit of rubbish actor, playing vicars or posh idiots, he has turned into a great writer. Shearsmith was not bad as some of the TLOG, charactors, but since his acting weakness are for parts written by others, He just can't take the script and give it that extra or believability.

Yes he can.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes he can.

I guess we will tell if this gets a second series with him in the lead.. And then see what he attempts next.
    Forum Member
    I guess we will tell if this gets a second series with him in the lead.. And then see what he attempts next.

No, because that presupposes the reason this series is no good, is SOLELY down to his performance. And that is just your view. And despite you going on about leads being replaced - that rarely actually happens. It is more likely to just not come back.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    ..........................I'm really hoping Ruth's son is in this again. Now there's some quality acting :o

Wasn't he a moody teenager obsessed with serial killers? That is such a cliché. ;-)
  • marcina bolanmarcina bolan Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't hate it, it has the making of a great series, but the script needs improving and they need to change RS for a better actor if there is another series.

Why do you keep watching it and going on about his poor acting and that he should be recast? The rest of us are enjoying it and every other post in the thread is you moaning about Reece's acting. If it's that crap to watch, turn it off.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you keep watching it and going on about his poor acting and that he should be recast? The rest of us are enjoying it and every other post in the thread is you moaning about Reece's acting. If it's that crap to watch, turn it off.

Some will say, speak for yourself, read other comments on here, I not the only one who had a go at his acting, I may be the loudest.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Better than last couple of weeks, I dont particularly mind Shearsmith in the main role although I dont think the writing and rather simplistic characterisation do him any favours.

Still think the main problems are Kingstons acting and the writing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    There is something about this, i just can't get into it for some reason, ive got part two recorded but i haven't bothered with it yet.

Its like all the actors are just reading their lines, as opposed to believing what they are saying. Something is missing imo
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    rhumble wrote: »
    There is something about this, i just can't get into it for some reason, ive got part two recorded but i haven't bothered with it yet.

Its like all the actors are just reading their lines, as opposed to believing what they are saying.

I know what you mean, its difficult to explain but its like they are all trying just that little but too hard.

It doesnt seem natural and seems rather overacted and earnest.