Options

Is eating too much FIsh bad for you?

Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
Forum Member
If you are male.

i think i may be eating way too much. Fresh Salmon 3/4 times a week. and Tinned Tuna about 4 times a week. With the occasional Cod now and again.

Its only because i saw warning about Tuna but then read it only affects females.
And there are guidelines about having oily fish twice a week

Comments

• Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't there something about high levels of mercury in tuna?
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it. The Japanese eat the most fish per capita and also have the highest life expectancy of any major nation.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    No, its very good for you although some fish is high in Mercury
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I eat Cod 3 times a week and I feel great. Canned tuna can be high in Mercury as anderson said, but other than that, you can only benefit from eating fish.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    I eat fish daily, tuna daily, it's done me no harm
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been on quite a tuna in oil binge lately, so much nicer than brine. The thing that gets me is the no drain tuna costs more than the one filled with oil. Someone explain how they charge more for less, I'd rather have the no drain with a just a touch of oil on it and just tuck in - pouring all that oil away is such a waste but I can't afford to waste money, so. :(

Some fish have a lot of mercury in them while others have none, luck of the draw on that side of things - depends where and what that particular fish has been eating, It's not uniform across all of them.

Very high in protein, great for muscle growth.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't eat fish... at all...

However certain fish is supposed to limited (or avoided altogether) in pregnancy. Tuna is to be limited and shark / swordfish / marlin is to be avoided altogether.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sardines on toast with Worcestershire sauce, mmmm.
    I have this once or twice a week.
  • Options
    China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like tinned tuna, but didn't know this about mercury,
  • Options
    scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't ever knowingly consume farmed fish, whether it be Scottish salmon, or sea bass or tilapia from the Mekong. If it's not line-caught, wild, trawled from deep waters I don't want to know. Unfortunately, everything that can be farmed is now farmed and it's difficult to find the wild alternative.

I eat canned tuna, mackerel, sardine and pilchard but canned food isn't without its chemical concerns either.
  • Options
    NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    Yeah best to eat wild Alaskan fish. Then there's no worry of mercury.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mainly eat fish, chicken, brown rice, vegetables and salad. If that's not healthy then I don't know what is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mainly eat fish, chicken, brown rice, vegetables and salad. If that's not healthy then I don't know what is.

What, deep fried chicken, fish and chips, vegetables roasted in butter and oil and a slice of cucumber? Creamy brown rice pudding for afters?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Been on quite a tuna in oil binge lately, so much nicer than brine. The thing that gets me is the no drain tuna costs more than the one filled with oil. Someone explain how they charge more for less, I'd rather have the no drain with a just a touch of oil on it and just tuck in - pouring all that oil away is such a waste but I can't afford to waste money, so. :(

Some fish have a lot of mercury in them while others have none, luck of the draw on that side of things - depends where and what that particular fish has been eating, It's not uniform across all of them.

Very high in protein, great for muscle growth.
    I'd imagine it's a more advanced process to can the tuna without oil or water and have it not spoil.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Most fish are good for you. However avoid the fish that tend to be at the top of the food chain as they tend to have mercury in unhealthy quantities. Found this useful guide whilst trawling around the internet:

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/guide.asp
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know we are supposed to avoid fish with high concentrations of mercury, but what actually are the health risks of eating fish high in mercury? How dangerous is it? Have people died directly as a result? Or do the potential benefits outweigh the potential risks?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's a more advanced process to can the tuna without oil or water and have it not spoil.

They still have oil though, no drain tuna in sunflower oil, in brine and mineral water, just not a huge amount you have to empty out. I like to think your theory is correct but they usually aren't as logical as that.

Probably think they can get a few more pence out of the gimmick from people who don't like to waste food, however I don't like to waste an extra quid on less, so. :p
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    They still have oil though, no drain tuna in sunflower oil, in brine and mineral water, just not a huge amount you have to empty out. I like to think your theory is correct but they usually aren't as logical as that.

Probably think they can get a few more pence out of the gimmick from people who don't like to waste food, however I don't like to waste an extra quid on less, so. :p
    There's bound to be by-products in some food such as the brine or vinegar in jars of pickles, pickled onions, red peppers etc.

Do people reuse the liquid from jars of red peppers?

(I must admit, I do add pickled onion liquid into malt vinegar for use on fish & chips ;))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bought a tin of no drain tuna chunks and they are a little too sharp for me, taste more like the brine variety than sunflower oil. Also bought three stacks of the normal stuff so I'm happy, tuna in oil is very tasty.
  • Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like tinned salmon and tuna but they don't like me for some reason so i cannot eat them. I eat fresh salmon about 3 times a week, prawns as well. Going to try trout next as i have never had it before.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose too much of anything can be bad for you, but you'd have to eat a lot of fish, not sure many people are anywhere near 'too much' though.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt it. The Japanese eat the most fish per capita and also have the highest life expectancy of any major nation.
    It might not be because of the fish. They also eat loads of fruit and vegetables as well.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose too much of anything can be bad for you, but you'd have to eat a lot of fish, not sure many people are anywhere near 'too much' though.

I agree with this. Doing too much of anything that's good for you will end up being bad for you.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I presume you are paying for that oil you are pouring away, because it forms part of the weight of the product.

Have you tried comparing the cost of the tuna you actually get to eat in both cases?
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I have fish about twice a week, which I think is a healthy, balanced amount.
    I wouldn't have it every day.

Don't get the preoccupation with tinned tuna at all. It's ok once in a while, and with something else; some people at work eat a whole tin every day, practically on its own.
    In fact I would personally avoid too much tuna and too much shellfish