Options

Rate the judges as mentors

Starzz123Starzz123 Posts: 1,700
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I want to know the general opinion on which judge is best mentoring the acts so rate each judge out of 10.

Kelly- So far her song choices have seemed to work except for Amelia last week, generally the girls are managing to keep it consistent. 7.5/10

Tulisa- The groups category is really hard to mentor yet Tulisa seems to be doing well with them, she's really connected with each individual in each group and her risk with The Risk paid off and both boybands remaining seem to have very distinct styles. 7/10

Louis- He seems to be getting it right with Kitty and that's his redemption but Sami comes across as so dated and nothing new and Johnny is entertainment but is now labelled as a novelty act even though he can actually sing well. 5.5/10

Gary- I thought Gary was going to be the best mentor out of the lot but apparently not, last week James was doomed due to the song choice and Craig stood out because he chose his own song. This week none of the boys did amazing and even though Marcus' vocals were good he was quite forgetful. 4/10

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tulisa - You can just tell she's completely involved...it's like she cares that bit more than the others. I really think that she's doing wonders for the groups categories; it makes such a nice change after only getting Simon and Louis for years and years and years.

Louis - People give him a hard time, but he knows what to do with his acts so that they'll appeal tot he public and generally makes the best out of a bad situation. He's the one who realises that above all else this is Saturday night television, and he makes the most of that. You can also tell he really supports his acts (Jonjo aside, but I don't blame him for hopping off that train).

Kelly - I'd put her on level with Louis. You've got to keep in mind that she's got the strongest category by far, so it's a little hard to judge her, but I'm impressed. She's made a few small blunders, but she's doing really well with Janet and Misha, and I do think she genuinely cares and wants them to succeed.

Gary - I think it speaks volumes that the only strong performance any of his acts have delivered was Craig last week, and he chose his own song and arrangement. Worst mentor since Sharon.
  • Options
    TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Tulisa - I think so far Tulisa's mentoring has been much better than the other judges and I think, considering she has the groups which is a notoriously difficult category, that it speaks volumes about her abilities.

Kelly - I'd put her second behind Tulisa. I think she's managing Misha and Janet well, but I'm not keen on the direction she's taking Sophie, and Amelia's song choice last week was atrocious.

Louis - Next is Louis! Not much to say, same old same old.

Gary - Awful. The only good performance his boys have given was last week with Craig, and Gary didn't even choose his song!
  • Options
    NightFallsNightFalls Posts: 8,596
    Forum Member
    Crap, all of them. This year is a disaster.
  • Options
    unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kelly
    Tulisa
    Gary
    Louis
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tulisa - very involved and spends time with the acts! Wills them to do well as ya can see when she sings along to the song with them! Great mentor spends a lot of time with the contestants!

Kelly - Doing a good job! Some questionable song choices though! But overall doing well!

Louis - is louis haha! :p

Gary - awful! I reckon he spends more time putting everyone else down than he does on his own acts! Song choices awful for them, I don't think he is a good mentor at all!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Tulisa is easily the best - I'm very surprised at this as, to be honest, I thought she'd be rubbish!

Dont get all the Gary hate though. He's not THAT bad *hides* And no-one was as bad as Sharon!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Tulisa is the best mentor - she actually cares and gets involved. Then I'd say Kelly. Gary comes third, but Louis is bottom - makes a comedy of his acts and it's not fair - Johnny has a good voice so stop making him into a drag queen louis!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welljel wrote: »
    Tulisa is easily the best - I'm very surprised at this as, to be honest, I thought she'd be rubbish!

Dont get all the Gary hate though. He's not THAT bad *hides* And no-one was as bad as Sharon!!

When ya don't like someone or something it does not mean ya hate them! If thats the case I would hate a lot of people and a lot of things! But I don't Lol :p

Sorry pet peeve! :o

Agree with ya Re Sharon she wasn't great but her personality made her fun as a judge well to me anyways! :)
  • Options
    TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    buddy'smum wrote: »
    Tulisa is the best mentor - she actually cares and gets involved. Then I'd say Kelly. Gary comes third, but Louis is bottom - makes a comedy of his acts and it's not fair - Johnny has a good voice so stop making him into a drag queen louis!!

Tbh, I actually think Johnny has a better chance of going further if he's the series "joke". Look at Wagner! He could hold a tune if he was given the right song (I believe he was a dab hand at operatic songs), but I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that he'd have made it to week 8 if he was a serious contestant.
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kelly is first, she's getting the songs right for her acts. I still think last week she knocked herself out of the lead in terms of winning the competition, her acts are too divisive to win.

Tulisa, she's worked wonders on The Risk and Rhythmix, I think she was pushed toward saving NuVibe but I think she knows now they are beyond help.

Louis, I love Kitty and I think both weeks she's been in the top 3 performances on the night, best of the night tonight with ease. I don't like Sami or Johnny at all, but their fans seem fairly happy with their treatment.

Gary is easily worse than Sharon at song choices, all 3 boys tonight were dire. I think the quality of the finalist's isn't helping him either, Craig bleating on about the song being too fast was ridiculous, how does he intend on coping in proper theme weeks where songs will have to be uptempo? He absolutely slaughtered Beyoncé tonight, Marcus had a good song by Rihanna, but if the intention was "show off the vocals" it was a dreadful song/arrangement since the verses don't really lend themselves to showing off vocally and Frankie was, well, Frankie. Dreadful song, dreadful vocal, dreadful performance. Gary praised it, says it all really.
  • Options
    bookclub10bookclub10 Posts: 4,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    buddy'smum wrote: »

Johnny performs as a drag queen- Sara Lee, and did long before he met Louis. Maybe he even met him at one of his shows:D
    Johnny said on xtra factor that he would like a poll on the x factor site to see if the public wanted him to perform in full drag!
    My order based on the 2 live shows would be ;

Tulisa- works hard with her contestants
    Louis- Good song choices/ performances- I think all his acts will be safe this week.
    Kelly- Not gone on her song choices tonight but think that she got it right last week.
    Gary- The worst song choices yet!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    Tulisa is actually the best in terms of mentoring (I only say 'actually' because for some reason I hadn't expected her to be.) She's not doing at all well with Nu Vibe, who I thought were great in the audition process, but have been screwed over by the songs in the lives. She's done great with Rhythmix, and pretty good with The Risk.

Kelly would come in second - I think she does get it wrong, but not too much. She should be giving Sophie more folky/acoustic songs and shouldn't try to make her sing in a ballad style (which she did tonight, with a song which doesn't even need to be sung that way.) I think she's being a bit too safe with Janet's choices - she should go with slightly less mainstream (but stuff that people have still heard of, as obviously this is the X Factor and they can't get very obscure) singer-songwriter stuff for her, rather than safe Coldplay and so on. She's doing well with Misha.

Louis shows off Sami and Kitty's, but he needs to start being less tacky with them and stop choosing such typical songs. Johnny should stop being treated as a joke act.

Gary is terrible at mentoring. Which is a shame, because I think he's the best at judging (other people's acts!) He's given Frankie songs which make him sounds absolutely dire, and though he hasn't got the strongest voice, he would sound good if given the right songs. Tonight's song for Marcus was awful and didn't suit his voice at all, though he did well with him last week. Craig will always sound good because he has a strong voice, but I still don't think Gary's chosen the best song for him tonight.
  • Options
    Spanner82Spanner82 Posts: 1,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant judge the 3 new ones yet, ask me again at week 5

Louis however needs to go, he complains bout getting the groups or overs every year and is there any wonder why when he always has to have a joke act in each year? would have been goldie but she quit so he's changed Johnny into one, poor guy he doesnt have a cat in hell's chance now
  • Options
    staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As in supportive

Louis > Gary > Kelly > Tulisa
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Tulisa has done a marvellous job with the groups, I don't even know who she is lol, but they are the best groups ever that I've seen in X Factor, Louis wasn't great with groups in the past. altho I know he has made some brilliant groups!
  • Options
    SelenaSelena Posts: 29,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tulisa
    Kelly
    Louis
    Gary
  • Options
    ParnebParneb Posts: 5,676
    Forum Member
    Tulisa is streets ahead of the other three judges in mentoring.
  • Options
    Eve ElleEve Elle Posts: 6,507
    Forum Member
    I think Tulisa's doing a great job, just what the groups category needed. And when she's not shouting other people down she can be quite level headed and smart. Currently my favorite judge. :)

Louis is playing the game as he's seen it evolve over previous years, sure his strategy is kinda dated but I wouldn't discount the mentoring he can provide too much (as he's proved with JLS, Jedward and others).

Kelly looks to be still finding her place and feeling things out. Kinda hit and miss. :o

Gary's trying so hard to be fresh and different that he's ignoring what works, and the boys category is crashing and burning before his eyes as a result. Feel sorry for Marcus, as he's not being allowed to live up to his potential. :(
  • Options
    MikaRimmerMikaRimmer Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its nice to see that others can see the marvellous job Tulisa has done, I've really grown to her on the XF, she is such a supportive mentor. She's been doing fantastic with the Risk, and made Rythmix a very unique girlband who could actually be successful. Nu Vibe are watchable, but they don't work as a group, I'd say that's because of the bonding between the boys though. But Tulisa isn't sure what genre to go for with them which is the only negative I see with her, but she's doing well considering the Groups are the worst category usually, this year they are my favourites.

Kelly- She's nailed the song choices for Janet, Micha and Sophie. But she did give Amelia a terrible choice of song

Louis- Too much emphasis on the FUN factor imo. Although he is doing well with Kitty's choices.

Gary- Unfortunately Gary seems to be the worse judge, I feel like he's neglecting Marcus and Craig, putting too much focus on Frankie, but Frankie's voice isn't' strong enough for vocals and he can't find a right song for him.
  • Options
    hannahhannah Posts: 13,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say this
    Tulisa
    Kelly
    Louis

Gary
    Gary is my favourite judge but im very disappointed in the way he is focusing on Frankie and not the other two because I think Marcus and Craig have the potential to be in the final but at the moment they have got no chance of making i because of their song choices.
  • Options
    Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    I honestly don't know how Gary can send James home based on his performance last week, yet keep Frankie who wasn't any better (some would say worse)because James showed at least in his audition that he can sing. I've not heard Frankie show any signs of talent yet.

Tulisa is the best judge this year.

Don't care for Kelly at all.

Louis is what he's always been - hard to take seriously.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kelly - great song choices, and she comes across as actually caring about her contestants and building a personal relationship with them.
    Tulisa - she definitely works hard on the groups to make sure they pull off a good performance, and she seems to be set on avoiding cliches, that said The Risk slipped into clicheville last night sadly.
    Gary - he's a good judge but a bit of a ****, and as a mentor he's average. Spends too much time on Frankie and gives awful songs to Marcus and Craig. Moves Like Jagger and Best Thing I Never Had were awful choices, in fact if Marcus had MLJ this week he'd be in danger.
    Louis - Let's face it, how awful is he? I mean making Johnny into a joke act when he can sing, making Sami all cliche and turning Kitty all dramatic and making us hate her more.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tulisa is brilliant so far. She understands what is current and how to sell each of her acts. Nu Vibe are a let down but that seems to be due to lack of chemistry more than anything else. The Risk and Rhythmix have both found their niche and should continue to grow under her tutorage.

Kelly has also done well so far. Like her song choices and she seems to care about her acts. I think she's got 2 who could win if they continue to grow.

Gary is hit and miss at the moment. He hasn't got Marcus at all yet for me which is worrying.

Louis is Louis. What can you say? He sees every week as Eurovision. His acts are fine as long as they accept they'll be just like karaoke night at a gay 70's disco. Completely out of touch with what's current but sort of enteratining in an 'OMG I can not believe that' sort of way
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Tulisa is brilliant so far. She understands what is current and how to sell each of her acts. Nu Vibe are a let down but that seems to be due to lack of chemistry more than anything else. The Risk and Rhythmix have both found their niche and should continue to grow under her tutorage.

Kelly has also done well so far. Like her song choices and she seems to care about her acts. I think she's got 2 who could win if they continue to grow.

Gary is hit and miss at the moment. He hasn't got Marcus at all yet for me which is worrying.

Louis is Louis. What can you say? He sees every week as Eurovision. His acts are fine as long as they accept they'll be just like karaoke night at a gay 70's disco. Completely out of touch with what's current but sort of enteratining in an 'OMG I can not believe that' sort of way

You talk a lot of sense my friend! :D Was gonna post a reply to the thread question but I would be accused of plagarism because you took the words right outta my mouth!
  • Options
    BurketteBurkette Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louis is the worst mentor-poor styling, turning his acts into jokes, poor song choices and the worst aspect not letting there actual talent shine. He is just desperate to keep his job that is why he sells his acts short.
    Oddly enough I thought Gary would be a great mentor as he came from a manufactured boyband backgroud but he is poor. Poor song choices for all the boys last night, he overly praises them and will not accept that Frankie is out of his depth.
    Tulisa is the real surprise she is a great mentor-very involved with her acts, picks the right songs, the right image and works hard with them-she really wants to win.
    Kelly is also a great mentor-the girls remain the strongest group because Kelly really lets them shine and they are head and shoulders above the other acts. Janet and Misha have had the right songs for the live shows. Kelly though needs to take a risk with Sophie and have her do a big performance to an uptempo number she can pull it off.