Options

Do you do a Tesco online shop?

maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
Forum Member
✭✭
I've recently been doing this as I don't drive so paying whatever for delivery saves me the hassle of lugging it about.

Anyway, I quite like doing it but sometimes I look at what I've ordered and it's a real odd combination. I don't want the pickers at Tesco to think I'm some weird person. Like for example, I do still go to the shops every few days to pick up daily essentials etc but on my online shop I have things such as cat litter, mustard, bread, ham, and maybe the occasional ready meal.

I never really spend too much, usually around £40-£50, what about you?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have done.... it was OK. It's good for heavy stuff if you don't have a car. I prefer to look at some things like meat and veg myself though. The order came on time with one substitiution which was a much bigger packet of detergent than I ordered for the same price as the small one :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I'm sure they have better things to worry about than you buying Lurpak and sink plungers. Most will just be on auto-pilot picking whatever it is the terminal is telling them.

I do Click 'n' Collect from Tesco as it's often free and controls my spending as I can be like a kid in a sweet shop when in the supermarket.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've recently been doing this as I don't drive so paying whatever for delivery saves me the hassle of lugging it about.
    Just checking - did you know that the delivery charge varies depending on when you have the order delivered? And that there's an optional subscription system, where you can pay a fixed amount which covers any number of orders for three months (max one delivery per day, min £40 per order, I think there are two rates - weekday only or any day).
    I don't want the pickers at Tesco to think I'm some weird person.
    I hope you're joking! I doubt it would even register in their minds what they're picking, let alone they'd care. Order what you need and don't worry about it.

I usually have one delivery per week and have been doing so for several years. I've never had any problems, just a few substitutions sometimes which can be accepted or rejected as desired. It works extremely well, great system, very useful IMHO.
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Mum did once and will never oorder online ever again after that disaster. Plus it was at a time where her stress levels were already high due to it being nearly Christmas. Plus lots of things were already going wrong and yeah just not good.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    I've never done a Tesco online shop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've recently re-started and shop about once every 2-3 weeks but mainly for heavier stuff as like the OP I still shop locally for most of my fresh stuff. I've never had any problems and a big advantage for me is that delivery comes from a much bigger store than our local one and so the selection of goods is wider and sometimes I can get a special offer which is not available locally. Also I don't waste as much money as I buy just what I want not something that catches my eye in the shop. I've only used Tesco but must say it's website seems much easier to use and more informative than other supermarkets.
  • Options
    PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyway, I quite like doing it but sometimes I look at what I've ordered and it's a real odd combination. I don't want the pickers at Tesco to think I'm some weird person. Like for example, I do still go to the shops every few days to pick up daily essentials etc but on my online shop I have things such as cat litter, mustard, bread, ham, and maybe the occasional ready meal.

Yes. I think its one of the the best things ever. The only hassle left is unpacking, I save money because Im not walking down sweetie isles, I can see approx how much I have spent so I can shuffle items to meet a desired budget.

I know if I can afford luxury items without having to chance it (or walk round with a calculator).

No bumping into people, no waiting at the tills. Brilliant.

I can see for someone who buys only fresh stuff and like to try each packet its not for them, but even then people in my family who like to do that will do a online shop for bulk items and then nip down for fresh.

As for the pickers, they are doing the shopping for dozens of people a day, they havnt got time to worry about that unless its very strange (like £40 of sprinkes or something) and even then it will be forgotten shortly.
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been doing Tesco online shops for about 10 years, on and off.....did my first Tesco shop on an Amstrad Emailer machine, back in 2003.
  • Options
    MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually do a Tesco shop every other month or when they send me money off offers. I stock up on household/toiletries and frozen items mainly but do get other bits aswell. I live nextdoor to a supermarket so use this for fresh items as I do like to choose my own fruit, processed meat, bread etc.

I find it easy, no hassle and the drivers seem like nice people, though I don't let them in to drop my shopping off in the kitchen like some off them seem to want to - guess thats just part of their training.

I've tried other websites but the Tesco one is the best one for me anyway.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want the pickers at Tesco to think I'm some weird person.
    You're being paranoid. Yours is just one of several thousand orders they process every week and I doubt they have the slightest interest in what they are picking or who gets it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have shopped online at Waitrose, and Sainsburys, but Sainsburys ended their egg-free salad cream line, so I stopped using them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine will be ariving this afternoon. I do an online shop most weeks. It's cheaper than driving the 25 miles to the supermarket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure what one could order from Tesco that would lead a picker to think someone was weird.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mudbox wrote: »
    I'm not sure what one could order from Tesco that would lead a picker to think someone was weird.
    I think it might have been the combination of items.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Mudbox wrote: »

A single parsnip, vasaline and chocolate spread :p Of course considering the average size an online order you'd have to highlight this combination by asking that they all go in the same bag or something.

I'll go now :o
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm housebound, recovering from cellulitis in my legs - so yes - Rely on them.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I honestly don't think they care.

I use Tesco groceries on line as well, and I certainly don't give two shits as to what pickers, whom I don't know and will never ever meet, actually think about my purchases.

I usually spend about £50 a week, and quite often they give you a £5.00 voucher for spending over £40, which pays for the delivery charges.

Generally well satisfied with Tesco home grocery delivery, especially with clubcard points and additional promotions.
  • Options
    CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    I use their Click n Collect Grocery service which is a fantastic idea and only £2 for someone to do it all and load it into the car - always free during school holidays too which is also great. My only niggle is that if you request for them to use bags then they use far too many even if you leave a comment/request to use a minimal number - I had one bag per item the last time!
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If only traceystapes was still around to help you, OP...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    If only traceystapes was still around to help you, OP...
    Ah, fond memories. Actually I'm surprised she wasn't considered for the next Doctor.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    Ah, fond memories. Actually I'm surprised she wasn't considered for the next Doctor.

Well she was but she was too scared to answer the phone in case it was Tesco demanding instant payment for next weeks delivery. As the producers couldn't get hold of her they went to their second option.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't use Tesco any more after they did something quite ridiculous with our online shopping one Christmas.

We tend to order our Christmas booze and mixers online for delivery as it's heavy stuff and it's easier if they bring you it rather than you carting it home from the shops.

We placed our order which would have been a few crates of lager, a dozen bottles of wine, Champagne, various spirits, mixers and fizzy pop, costing about three hundred quid so not a small order.

On the day of delivery some snotty woman phoned up from Tesco to advise us that they were refusing to deliver our order because 'there are no groceries, only alcohol'. This was wrong of them because there wasn't only alcohol and I didn't know that Tesco could refuse orders based on what you've ordered. They said they'd only honour the order if I included food in it so I told her to forget it, placed the same order with Asda who had no problem whatsoever and didn't try and take some moral high ground by refusing to deliver only drinks. Tesco haven't had a penny from me since.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,952
    Forum Member
    I don't use Tesco any more after they did something quite ridiculous with our online shopping one Christmas.

We tend to order our Christmas booze and mixers online for delivery as it's heavy stuff and it's easier if they bring you it rather than you carting it home from the shops.

We placed our order which would have been a few crates of lager, a dozen bottles of wine, Champagne, various spirits, mixers and fizzy pop, costing about three hundred quid so not a small order.

On the day of delivery some snotty woman phoned up from Tesco to advise us that they were refusing to deliver our order because 'there are no groceries, only alcohol'. This was wrong of them because there wasn't only alcohol and I didn't know that Tesco could refuse orders based on what you've ordered. They said they'd only honour the order if I included food in it so I told her to forget it, placed the same order with Asda who had no problem whatsoever and didn't try and take some moral high ground by refusing to deliver only drinks. Tesco haven't had a penny from me since.

I have done booze only orders several times and never had a problem. Weird that you did.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think my response to that would have been to ask why alcohol was included in the grocery section.

It sounds like she was making an excuse to me. You should have got her name and sent an e mail off querying her statement.

Better yet, asked if she could e mail you putting the reason she gave, in writing, and explaining where on their website there is such an instruction.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I think my response to that would have been to ask why alcohol was included in the grocery section.

It sounds like she was making an excuse to me. You should have got her name and sent an e mail off querying her statement.

Better yet, asked if she could e mail you putting the reason she gave, in writing, and explaining where on their website there is such an instruction.

Yes, I did think of all that after the call and after I'd already told her to ram it. It was one of those instances where I was so annoyed with what I was being told, I couldn't think of anything constructive to say.