Plea to DS: Create a History section!

Comments

• kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree! I like to read some post about current affairs but the politics forum is way to much for me. if they merged GD with politics and maybe books then for me GD would be better.
    Yes, there some to be entrenched views in there and long-standing disputes which go into several threads.
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    Me too kimindex. :)
    She was really prolific, wasn't she and wrote other books under other names. I wonder that she had time for anything else!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    I'd sooner see a religion subforum than a history one (so it's easier for me to ignore all the religion threads).
    Although I do agree with those who say that there are far too many subforums as it is.

I agree with that. As much as I love history, especially ancient history, I think this could be done on a thread to thread basis. I don't even read the religion based threads as they tend to escalate into hate and arguments very quickly.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    I'd sooner see a religion subforum than a history one (so it's easier for me to ignore all the religion threads).
    Although I do agree with those who say that there are far too many subforums as it is.

May I suggest the strategy I employ with poo related threads, I don't click on them. Requires some skill but not a lot.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I doubt it will be tho. Where will they move it to?
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Only if there is a sub forum to move it to which is what you are asking for not me.

I said removed not moved.
  • SmallalienSmallalien Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would love a history forum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Have you tried googling 'History Forum'. I can promise it will grant your wish many times over.

I love 'Alternate History' forum. The people in there are so talented, they should be novellists! I've never had the courage to write anything there myself as it would be crap compared to the meticulously researched scenarios those guys come up with.
    Forum Member
    Raarraar wrote: »
    I agree with that. As much as I love history, especially ancient history, I think this could be done on a thread to thread basis. I don't even read the religion based threads as they tend to escalate into hate and arguments very quickly.

If you don't read them how do you know what happens on them?
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    May I suggest the strategy I employ with poo related threads, I don't click on them. Requires some skill but not a lot.
    Yes but sometimes the thread titles don't necessarily give you any clue as to what the thread's about.

(And note that I said "...so it's easier for me to ignore ...")
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    I said removed not moved.

Then perhaps you have an example of such a thread being removed/locked. Otherwise what is your point?
    Forum Member
    Yes but sometimes the thread titles don't necessarily give you any clue as to what the thread's about.

Perhaps you can give an example of a religious thread which had a title that mislead you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you don't read them how do you know what happens on them?

Apologies, I missed the word anymore. I should be taken in to a field and shot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps you can give an example of a religious thread which had a title that mislead you.
    For goodness sake, Richard. No I can't give you an example off the top of my head and quite frankly I can't be arsed looking for one just to satisfy your pernickety mood tonight.
    Forum Member
    Raarraar wrote: »
    Apologies, I missed the word anymore. I should be taken in to a field and shot.

Missing a word is not a capital offense but likewise I can only reply to what you actually say. OK :)
    Forum Member
    For goodness sake, Richard. No I can't give you an example off the top of my head and quite frankly I can't be arsed looking for one just to satisfy your pernickety mood tonight.

No problem. .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problem.
    Good. Glad that's sorted then :)
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A History forum would provide a lot of interesting debate
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No problem. .

Well - ONE example is the still-ongoing one about Abrahamic relgions and their origins...which within not that many pages has turned into a DS-typical Atheist vs Believer spat...
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then perhaps you have an example of such a thread being removed/locked. Otherwise what is your point?

And how, exactly, am I supposed to provide an example of where posts (not the whole thread) have been removed from a thread for being off topic when, by the very nature of the issue, they're no longer there?

You asked for reasons why people might want a specific forum to discuss history in, I've given you one. Because many of the TV specific history programmes end up diverting into a discussion of history itself not the TV show and could, according to DS's Terms and Conditions, have those posts removed if someone was petty enough to report to the moderating team that the thread was filled with off topic debate.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I made a Ancient Rome thread and its not a TV program.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...apart from the six-part BBC docudrama series of the same name a few years back, you mean? :)
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't know that, Rome is a place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a civilisation, and the basis of virtually all Western civilisation to a lesser and greater extent today.

P.S. if you can find it, get the DVD of the series...tho' I think either BBC3 or 4 or Yesterday is repeating it at the minute. One of the best docudrama series you'll ever see :) And the Beeb certainly didn't scrimp on the effects and numbers of "extras" (actors, not extras on the DVD!)
    Forum Member
    Well - ONE example is the still-ongoing one about Abrahamic relgions and their origins...which within not that many pages has turned into a DS-typical Atheist vs Believer spat...

I was replying to a poster whose complaint was;

A thread titled;

If the Abrahmic religions worship the same god, why the different sets of rules?

Does not clearly suffer from that problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love history, astronomy, science and nature wouldn't be interesting to have forum which discusses all - ie knowledge forum?????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A thread titled;

If the Abrahmic religions worship the same god, why the different sets of rules?

Does not clearly suffer from that problem.

Unfortunately - see my point above about where most of the perceived history threads appear from...as that particular thread progressed, it's title certainly belies what the thread content became ;)

Which was a bummer, 'cos it was going quite well up until then!

Which is the problem with threads - if left too "freeform", they wander. They can't not, given the number of personalities and views that choose to input to them....

For instance - we're doing it right now! :) See how easy it is?

Let's face it - most of the "perceived" history threads on here are the result of Godwin's Law! Sometimes well-delayed....but it still hits in the end!!!