Options

The Mcstay Family Mystery

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,591
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A thread for those following the case of the missing Mcstay family.

Some recent theories here

http://www.myvalleynews.com/story/69358/

Comments

• Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Never heard of them. I'll read that later.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like Jane, I haven't heard of them either. But things like that always interest me so I'll have a read later.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Why start a new thread for a years-old case when there is already a thread in existence packed with the usual wild theories so adored by the DS armchair detective brigade?

Here is the thread, for those that aren't squeamish about speculating about a young family that most likely met with a grim end.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1209864&page=88
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Why start a new thread for a years-old case when there is already a thread in existence packed with the usual wild theories so adored by the DS armchair detective brigade?

Here is the thread, for those that aren't squeamish about speculating about a young family that most likely met with a grim end.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1209864&page=88

Young family would suggest a couple in their early twenties to me. The parents in this case are in their forties. There doesn't seem to be much of a suggestion of a grim end either.

Looking at the video of the family crossing the border has brought out some funny comments though. Like the fact that the family were walking apart in two pairs, as if that's sinister. My family walked like that all the time - it's the only sensible way to walk with two small kids, and the only non-selfish way too. Are they supposed to walk four abreast clogging up the whole damn street?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earlier information is on the thread here where we decided we were hijacking the thread and to start a new one.

As JulesF correctly references, here it is...http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showt...209864&page=88
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Like Jane, I haven't heard of them either. But things like that always interest me so I'll have a read later.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the story - here is the episode of a show called Disappeared which led me to become interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_66jh9bxJwI
  • Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Young family would suggest a couple in their early twenties to me. The parents in this case are in their forties. There doesn't seem to be much of a suggestion of a grim end either.

Looking at the video of the family crossing the border has brought out some funny comments though. Like the fact that the family were walking apart in two pairs, as if that's sinister. My family walked like that all the time - it's the only sensible way to walk with two small kids, and the only non-selfish way too. Are they supposed to walk four abreast clogging up the whole damn street?

I mentioned that seemed odd since it was dark & potentially dangerous & I just thought it would have been safer if they had all walked together rather than as they did with 2 very young children. If you think it's sensible then you're probably right & I'm just reading into it too much & making something out of nothing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mentioned that seemed odd since it was dark & potentially dangerous & I just thought it would have been safer if they had all walked together rather than as they did with 2 very young children. If you think it's sensible then you're probably right & I'm just reading into it too much & making something out of nothing

Ah well, they're fairly close together though, aren't they? Don't get me wrong, I adore mysteries like this! I really enjoy the 'creepiest' thread, and one of the fun things to me is spotting where it's something genuinely hard to explain vs the ones where it's more 'yeah, that was creepy at the time, but it was probably just a cat' etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah well, they're fairly close together though, aren't they? Don't get me wrong, I adore mysteries like this! I really enjoy the 'creepiest' thread, and one of the fun things to me is spotting where it's something genuinely hard to explain vs the ones where it's more 'yeah, that was creepy at the time, but it was probably just a cat' etc.

I have a lot of interest in mysteries like this as well, they intrigue me & I enjoy theorising with others. I'm usually completely off the mark though it does have to be said :o

They are but there doesn't seem to be the interaction between them that I would have expected. The male doesn't turn round in that admittedly short clip to make sure everything is ok behind him & it just got me wondering if they were trying to make sure at least one of them got through. I'm most likely seeing 'ghosts' that aren't there though :D

I just hope that whatever has happened, they're all safe & well.
  • Options
    monkinomonkino Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many thanks for creating the new topic so we don't have to continue to hijack the old one, it was getting confusing and I was starting to mix up the Mcstays with the killer clown (not to mention the excitement of the strip joint).

I think NirvanaGirl is spot on re the CCTV. Imagine you are crossing the border into a foreign country, to an area which is known to be dangerous. Do you really make the crossing the way they did? I doubt it. Plus none of the families believe it was Joey, the father, who was in the clip.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When examined in context it is odd. Please see above. The family don't think it was the father who made the crossing with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    monkino wrote: »
    Many thanks for creating the new topic so we don't have to continue to hijack the old one, it was getting confusing and I was starting to mix up the Mcstays with the killer clown (not to mention the excitement of the strip joint).

I think NirvanaGirl is spot on re the CCTV. Imagine you are crossing the border into a foreign country, to an area which is known to be dangerous. Do you really make the crossing the way they did? I doubt it. Plus none of the families believe it was Joey, the father, who was in the clip.

Can you recall what Summers family think of the clip? Do they believe it shows their daughter/sister?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When examined in context it is odd. Please see above. The family don't think it was the father who made the crossing with them.

I'd still say that when examined in the context it's normal. Look at all the other people in the video - they're not obsessively hunched in small groups in fear, are they? If I didn't know who I was supposed to be looking at, I wouldn't pinpoint their behaviour as unusual.
    Imagine you are crossing the border into a foreign country, to an area which is known to be dangerous. Do you really make the crossing the way they did? I doubt it. Plus none of the families believe it was Joey, the father, who was in the clip.

The people around them were crossing the exact same border in the same way. And as a matter of fact when I do have to visit unsavoury areas, I tend to act as normally as possible. As to the second part, that is something more distinct to focus upon. Though I'd guess that if a woman were to leave the country with her two children and a man who wasn't their father, then she would hold both of the children's hands.
  • Options
    pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there only that one book on this mystery ?
    I checked on Amazon and apparently it is written on the assumption that the reader knows the background to the story. That's a bit meh to me.:(
    Are there no books detailing the background as well as updates?
    I like a good real life mystery and this is a cracker one, so I can't believe a decent author other than a theorist after the event hasn't cashed in on it as yet.:confused:
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »

Same. I've heard of Paul McStay who used to play football for Celtic and I don't think there's any ongoing mystery with him That's about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you recall what Summers family think of the clip? Do they believe it shows their daughter/sister?

Well that is the curious thing...... In the documentary all the sister says is that it does not look like my brother in law. She says nothing about her sister or her nephews. She was very guarded actually. It could just be editing obviously. I did read that the Ugg boots alleged to have been worn by Summer in the clip were still at home, however she could have had another pair.

I have seen other from Summer's other relatives. I assume the mother and father are still alive? I don't know abut other siblings.

I read online from one of the other links this morning that she was trying to buy anger managements pills before she went missing. May have been extracted from the book. Could be nothing in it, but we know from the old emails that she was a fire cracker when annoyed!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    polli wrote: »
    Is there only that one book on this mystery ?
    I checked on Amazon and apparently it is written on the assumption that the reader knows the background to the story. That's a bit meh to me.:(
    Are there no books detailing the background as well as updates?
    I like a good real life mystery and this is a cracker one, so I can't believe a decent author other than a theorist after the event hasn't cashed in on it as yet.:confused:

And that is the mystery s well. Only one book. Nothing from the relatives. Only this one book from Rick Baker, which the families do not support. I would have thought that they would put their own out there to set the record straight.

There are plenty of news items though on YouTube.

Last maor knees was circa April this year to say that the FBI had taken over the case as it was assumed that they had left the USA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd still say that when examined in the context it's normal. Look at all the other people in the video - they're not obsessively hunched in small groups in fear, are they? If I didn't know who I was supposed to be looking at, I wouldn't pinpoint their behaviour as unusual.

The people around them were crossing the exact same border in the same way. And as a matter of fact when I do have to visit unsavoury areas, I tend to act as normally as possible. As to the second part, that is something more distinct to focus upon. Though I'd guess that if a woman were to leave the country with her two children and a man who wasn't their father, then she would hold both of the children's hands.

I take your points. It is just a whole mixture of odd things. The state of the house was what made it appear interesting, like they left in a hurry. Sort of a Marie Celeste type thing.

But when one explores this, it becomes so confused and contradictory.

I ordered the book and cannot wait to have a good read, it will probably beg more questions than it answers though!
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    A soiled nappy was left out and I wonder if that was to confuse the scent left if dogs came in to search .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »
    A soiled nappy was left out and I wonder if that was to confuse the scent left if dogs came in to search .

Really? Would you be able to let me know where you read this? Thanks.
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    Really? Would you be able to let me know where you read this? Thanks.

If I remember correctly it is the Rick Baker story that there was a soiled nappy left in the sink .
  • Options
    LockesLockes Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    Was their actual furniture in storage, as they only had blow up beds and little in the way of furniture, (the furniture could have been located in their new house if they fled deliberately,

Also On a clip on Youtube the police say that there was no sign of their passports at the house but he did not find this unusual as they still had a lot of stuff in storage. Were the storage units checked for the passports?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »
    If I remember correctly it is the Rick Baker story that there was a soiled nappy left in the sink .

I think the information may have originally come from Steph Watt who is a blogger who was with Tim Miller from Equusearch & was given access to the house along with the SDPD & Tim Miller.

Unfortunately I've not been able to read Steph Watts blog posts re the McStays as he archived them all due to the level of nasty comments he was receiving.

My understanding was that the Uggs found in the house were brand new & unworn. The only other footwear found was several pairs of very high heels & there were 4 fur coats hanging in Summers closet. There were 2 brand new shirts hanging up that were assumed to be Joeys.

No underwear for any of the family members was found & the soiled diaper was found in the sink.

There literally was no furniture in the house except blow up beds & they were all sleeping in the one bedroom. They'd been living that way for nearly 4 months :eek:

The 31st January was Joseph Jr's birthday & Summer had told her friend that they were holding a birthday party for him at Chuck-e-cheese. That party didn't seem to have happened, no kids had been invited & strangely, it seems that Joseph Jr's birthday passed without any visits from his grandma, grandpa, uncles & aunts either. :(
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the information may have originally come from Steph Watt who is a blogger who was with Tim Miller from Equusearch & was given access to the house along with the SDPD & Tim Miller.

Unfortunately I've not been able to read Steph Watts blog posts re the McStays as he archived them all due to the level of nasty comments he was receiving.

My understanding was that the Uggs found in the house were brand new & unworn. The only other footwear found was several pairs of very high heels & there were 4 fur coats hanging in Summers closet. There were 2 brand new shirts hanging up that were assumed to be Joeys.

No underwear for any of the family members was found & the soiled diaper was found in the sink.

There literally was no furniture in the house except blow up beds & they were all sleeping in the one bedroom. They'd been living that way for nearly 4 months :eek:

The 31st January was Joseph Jr's birthday & Summer had told her friend that they were holding a birthday party for him at Chuck-e-cheese. That party didn't seem to have happened, no kids had been invited & strangely, it seems that Joseph Jr's birthday passed without any visits from his grandma, grandpa, uncles & aunts either. :(

A sign that they'd have to be ready to leave at a moment's notice and at any possible time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was their actual furniture in storage, as they only had blow up beds and little in the way of furniture, (the furniture could have been located in their new house if they fled deliberately,

Also On a clip on Youtube the police say that there was no sign of their passports at the house but he did not find this unusual as they still had a lot of stuff in storage. Were the storage units checked for the passports?

I think the official family story was that their furniture was in storage but there are a lot of people who doubt that's true as they were evicted from their last house (the beach house) & the photo's & videos from when they lived there show very ramshackle furniture & a tatty house.

It would certainly be possible that the house they were evicted from was rented furnished & they in actual fact had nothing. I can't imagine many people who would go nearly 4 months without even bringing their beds, especially the children's beds to the house. You'd want to get them comfortable & settled ASAP.

There's every possibility they didn't even own a washing machine as the house was full of piles of dirty & clean clothes. I wonder if they had extended themselves by buying the house but then the $100,000+ in the bank makes no sense, unless that was earmarked for a different reason.

It's said by various McStay family members that Summer was a recluse & did a LOT of online shopping, to the point of hoarding, & the garage was full & piled high with new items that had never been used.