Options

Lewis Series 8 -UK Premiere Date ?

Comments

• Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    james_W85 wrote: »
    on the subject of morse etc is there going to be a new series of endeavour as the last one was excellent

Yes 4x120 filming now for next April. :)
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did Colin Dexter have a cameo in this one? I don't remember spotting him.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Did Colin Dexter have a cameo in this one? I don't remember spotting him.

I read somewhere that his photograph was in the background of one of the scenes. He's getting on a bit now (84)
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still haven't worked out how the Thames Valley Police can afford advisors. I thought all these Police Forces had to make massive savings.
  • Options
    LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have minded that, if they'd got him an interesting sidekick, and introduced a new dynamic.

Tonight's episode was just boring. By the time it ended I didn't remotely care who'd done it, and whether the new sergeant stayed or went.

Sad. But maybe next week's will improve.

The new sergeant wasn't bad but just, as you say, dull. And the dynamic of three detectives doesn't work.

I couldn't have cared less about who done what in this story. The characters were boring and the guest cast underwhelming. The whole thing with the bullet seemed contrived and the young wife being shown running and swimming was pointless (unless I missed something).

I'll still tune in next week but I do prefer the two-hour format (and when they repeat them on ITV3 they show both parts together).
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Record low ratings for Lewis last night. Only 4.5m, its worst ever. Down 2m from last year's series. Looks like people hate this new set up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Record low ratings for Lewis last night. Only 4.5m, its worst ever. Down 2m from last year's series. Looks like people hate this new set up.

The frustrating thing is that they probably won't attribute that to the format.

What about the last series? Anyone know if that got lower ratings than the earlier series with the classic two-hour episodes?
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new sergeant wasn't bad but just, as you say, dull.

I kept thinking of Coronation St.:D
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I kept thinking of Coronation St.:D

For some I guess there's a lot of "continuing dramas" they could be thinking about.
    I'm aware of Coronation Street and Holby but just from occasions of a bit of, *"passive viewing."
    I had to look the others up, to know which ones, as I didn't watch any of them.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=passive%20viewing&defid=2610886
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »

I think the mistake is to show it as two seperate one hour episodes. The plots and characters are so complicated one forgets so much in the weeks interval
    I will still watch it but recored both parts and watch it as one
    Nice to see the old Lewis/Hathaway relationship at the end
  • Options
    chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was better than last weeks. i dont like the idea of a hathaway spin-off. we already have lewis and endeavour
  • Options
    YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    I think the mistake is to show it as two seperate one hour episodes. The plots and characters are so complicated one forgets so much in the weeks interval

I agree, I had forgotten the storyline from the week before- I had guessed the culprit early on , I prefer not figuring it out! Am glad Lewis is back but I hope next week will be better- not sure if I like Angela Griffin in this or not
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    The frustrating thing is that they probably won't attribute that to the format.

What about the last series? Anyone know if that got lower ratings than the earlier series with the classic two-hour episodes?

I Tivo this programme so I'll now watch the two episodes together to watch the whole story. I refuse to watch it cut into two.

I do wonder how many people who did watch Lewis over the two hours, just can't be bothered to wait two weeks to watch one story, so don't bother watching at all.

I know I keep saying this, but it pisses me off that they still show the light and frothy Midsomer Murders over two hours, (I don't watch it now cos I don't like the new Barnaby, but I loved it with John Nettles. It was 'easy viewing' - cosy crime, not 'serious' crime, to me) but reduce a serious crime drama like lewis to one story over two weeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It's criminal - pardon the pun - to show it over two week.

What have they got against Lewis? It's particularly puzzling seeing as they brought it back!

You can bet they won't cut the episodes of Endeavour into two weeks.

It's ironic that the first programme to introduce the 2 hour format was Morse. And the first one they cut into two is Morse Mk2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This was better than last weeks. i dont like the idea of a hathaway spin-off. we already have lewis and endeavour

There'll never be a Hathaway spin-off. They won't do a spin-off of a spin-off. That's a definite.

Lawrence always says he'd never do Lewis without Kevin anyway, so I can't see him ever doing a programme without him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes 4x120 filming now for next April. :)

Indeed. And we're all supposed to be in suspense wondering if Thursday survived!

It's probably a fair guess that he did! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    Indeed. And we're all supposed to be in suspense wondering if Thursday survived!

It's probably a fair guess that he did! :)

I don't think he did survive.
    Because he turned up in Gene Hunt's 1980s world in 'Ashes To Ashes'. :D

(mind you, so did Endeavour .... )
  • Options
    enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am glad I was not the only one who forgot the plot - I was beginning to think it was my age. I actually did record it to watch again just before the next episode but I didn't have time. I couldn't even remember who the second victim was or why. Not good to divide it into two.
    Having said that it is lovely to see Lewis, Hathaway and Laura back again. I am not sure about the new sergeant but she seems ok. Hathaway was a bit uptight, I hope he gets his sense of humour back soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think he did survive.
    Because he turned up in Gene Hunt's 1980s world in 'Ashes To Ashes'. :D

(mind you, so did Endeavour .... )

I knew nothing about Shaun before Endeavour - or his real voice - so it was so funny hearing his scouse accent, the first time I did!

Roger's been in loads of things. I saw him in an old Midsomer I watched the other week. I can never see him now without thinking of him as Thursday!
    Mind you, his wife will always be Andrea Clayton to me! lol
  • Options
    Julia_WebbJulia_Webb Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're in the US at the moment and watched Lewis on ITunes (via PBS channel here) Thankfully it was 2 solid hours, no ads - great :)

Have both programmes been shown at home? 2nd one with the Classics professor etc etc, I thought I looked on TV guide for home and it hadn't been shown yet, most odd for US to see it first if so. 2nd one was better than the first I thought :) New DS fits in better :)
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Julia_Webb wrote: »
    Have both programmes been shown at home? 2nd one with the Classics professor etc etc, I thought I looked on TV guide for home and it hadn't been shown yet, most odd for US to see it first if so. 2nd one was better than the first I thought :) New DS fits in better :)

Not it hasn't. They split the first one in two. If the US get it in one block then we should too...and they shouldn't be ahead of the UK either. They showed the first one on the 5th!
    Roger's been in loads of things. I saw him in an old Midsomer I watched the other week. I can never see him now without thinking of him as Thursday!

He'll always be Peter Mannion MP from The Thick of It for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    Not it hasn't. They split the first one in two. If the US get it in one block then we should too...and they shouldn't be ahead of the UK either. They showed the first one on the 5th!

I thought when hubby found and said "oh a new Lewis", that it would be an old one he had forgotten about, but no, it was the new series. I've seen 2 x 2 hours. PBS must be paying ITV a shedload of money then for it to be shown earlier over here!?

He'll always be Peter Mannion MP from The Thick of It for me.

I'm with the others, I'd seen him before but he will now always be Thursday to me, same as the guy who is their boss now, everything else I see him on, I always think "Oh the guy from Endeavour" :) John Nettles will be the only Barnaby that I will watch, not interested in the other guy. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Julia_Webb wrote: »
    We're in the US at the moment and watched Lewis on ITunes (via PBS channel here) Thankfully it was 2 solid hours, no ads - great :)

There are 3 new stories, and we in the UK see them over 6 weeks. So as someone said, no, the second story starts on friday 24th.
    Ridiculous,. The third story will start Nov 7th!

I can't believe they even show them in one go in America - and because of that they get them before we do!

Like I said before - what have ITV got against Lewis?!
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like I said before - what have ITV got against Lewis?!

I don't think ITV have anything "against" Lewis as I think the splitting of stories is a way to ensure they have 6 weeks of consistent ratings instead of 3 if they were whole.

As to that point, could it be that advertising rates would be higher for this drama if shown solely in the 9 o'clock hour, is that the highest paying time for ads?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    I don't think ITV have anything "against" Lewis as I think the splitting of stories is a way to ensure they have 6 weeks of consistent ratings instead of 3 if they were whole.

As to that point, could it be that advertising rates would be higher for this drama if shown solely in the 9 o'clock hour, is that the highest paying time for ads?.

What would worry me though is that they lose viewers if they split it into two?

I was always under the impression that the biggie of the advertising times is the ad break in Corrie? although this was maybe before they seemed to show it every night!

Just to pee you off, I'll let you know when we can access the third one ;)