Options

Lewis Series 8 -UK Premiere Date ?

Comments

• Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julia_Webb wrote: »
    Just to pee you off, I'll let you know when we can access the third one ;)

Why would that "pee me off"?...

Some here may be bothered, but I'm quite happy to access the series at UK pace.
  • Options
    Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    I don't like the split format. I want a story in one go. I've lost interest and forgotten what happened a week later. If it wasn't that I enjoy watching these particukar actors and characters I'd not have bothered with part two.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the mistake is to show it as two seperate one hour episodes. The plots and characters are so complicated one forgets so much in the weeks interval

This week's was the first time I've been confused by an ITV crime drama. It didn't help that the "previously" sequence was just a random set of clips from the first episode, so it didn't jog my memory at all. I'm still slightly confused about why the idea that the surgeon hadn't really been drunk in charge of a scalpel was suddenly introduced and then forgotten again. Was it a red herring? or did I miss something?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So is the addition of Angela Griffin as Hathaway's side kick setting it up for a future police series called Hathaway set in Oxford etc etc?
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Why would that "pee me off"?...

Some here may be bothered, but I'm quite happy to access the series at UK pace.

Similarly with SCD, you watch the show on Saturday evening and you want to know who went, so you log in to the spoiler on here. Who want drag it our to Sunday
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrew1954 wrote: »
    I don't like the split format. I want a story in one go. I've lost interest and forgotten what happened a week later. If it wasn't that I enjoy watching these particukar actors and characters I'd not have bothered with part two.

Do as I do and record the thing......

Watch episode 1 from 8.30pm, then straight on to ep 2 and there you have it, a Lewis story with no ads.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Same here.. It simply doesn't work over 2 programmes. :(

Not everyone has recording facilities either.
  • Options
    LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Do as I do and record the thing......

Watch episode 1 from 8.30pm, then straight on to ep 2 and there you have it, a Lewis story with no ads.

I think we;ll do this from now on. I really lost track of this story and hence couldn't care less about who did what and why.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I haven't had recording facilities for years, ever since the old VCR gave up. I could watch 2 episodes on ITV player I suppose. But for some reason I find ads on catchup even more irritating than live telly. Yeah, yeah. I know. I could subscribe for ad free.

But in the end I think they've just got it wrong by splitting it. This sort of drama doesn't suit being split. OK for a serial. Not for a police drama.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this was just a chance of another payday for the principal actors, I mean are they otherwise much in demand?
    Angela Griffin according to the piece on her, told my telly mag that she'd spent a year out of work last year.

The ratings will be reasonable, "so a win win situation."

But I can't see there being any more after this short run.
    They should have stopped when they did, rather than the original series be remembered for this.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    So is the addition of Angela Griffin as Hathaway's side kick setting it up for a future police series called Hathaway set in Oxford etc etc?

Nope. Laurence Fox has said he wouldn't do any without Kevin Whateley and I think the feeling's mutual.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe Lewis should transfer to New Tricks
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two hours at the usual glacial Lewis pace is far too long. It always seems stretched out to fit the format. They would be far better off producing one hour self contained episodes.

Lewis is all about an artificia and rather unrealistic style and the writing and plotting takes second place. I liked Morse before it became a parody of itself, but Lewis is just moving wallpaper. It's trapped by trying to fill the Morse format.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The measured pace is one of the things that makes this sort of drama work. But I can see it wouldn't suit all tastes.

I agree though that in many ways Lewis seems rather tired as a format. Nevertheless there is a market for those of us who occasionally want to watch a relatively undemanding drama, well produced, interesting characters, well acted, filmed against an attractive backdrop. Foyles War filled that slot for a while. I believe that was commissioned as a replacement for Morse. It was quite a novel scenario and had the same sort of production values.

I suspect that in these days of increasing competition for people's attention, fewer backers are wiling to take a punt on something novel and stump up the kind of funding required to produce quality TV drama.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    Nope. Laurence Fox has said he wouldn't do any without Kevin Whateley and I think the feeling's mutual.

I don't blame either of them, they are very good together.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The measured pace is one of the things that makes this sort of drama work. But I can see it wouldn't suit all tastes.

I agree though that in many ways Lewis seems rather tired as a format. Nevertheless there is a market for those of us who occasionally want to watch a relatively undemanding drama, well produced, interesting characters, well acted, filmed against an attractive backdrop. Foyles War filled that slot for a while. I believe that was commissioned as a replacement for Morse. It was quite a novel scenario and had the same sort of production values.

I suspect that in these days of increasing competition for people's attention, fewer backers are wiling to take a punt on something novel and stump up the kind of funding required to produce quality TV drama.
    Good production values and actors going through the motions aren't enough, unless you are a fan of course. A slow measured pace is fine but it needs some variation, otherwise it just lulls you to sleep. The pace of any drama needs to vary.

I think an hour for a detective drama is usually enough. Any longer and you have to start introducing another murder or two along the way to keep the plot going. Morse showed two hours was possible but it should have been the exception, not the new rule.

Foyles War is a bit different and has far more depth to it. The wartime setting gives an extra dimension with the clashes between military and civil authority, official secrecy, etc. So it could easily sustain the longer format. Lewis is paper thin in comparison.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Watched the whole thing as one last night and really enjoyed it.
    'Your dinner's in the canoe' lol
    And I liked the end in a canoe!
    I even enjoyed the story. I like Angela Griffith and I didn't think she jarred anything between Lewis and Hathaway.

Just still annoyed I have to wait to wait 2 weeks to watch a complete story - and that there's only 3 of them.
  • Options
    Julia_WebbJulia_Webb Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well just to 'pee' you off (which of course was just tongue in cheek ;-) ) Didn't mean to offend anybody :blush:

I've just watched the third of the series. Best of the three in my opinion :)

I like the two hour formats, I find the hour ones just too short to develop much of a story. In saying that though, the time shown on iTunes was 89 mins so it just goes to show how many flaming ads are placed in it.

Foyles War - love love love it :)
  • Options
    Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a particular problem with the two-parter format. Other shows have and do follow the same format so Lewis is unique.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I really don't think the typical Lewis storylines work well split over two weeks. It's very difficult to remember the relationships between the different characters or some of the more subtle clues and hints after a week. I spent a lot of the second episode trying to recall who was who, and even who the second corpse was.
    I'd much prefer three two hour episodes than six episodes thinly spread out.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't even remember who the first corpse was ! :blush:
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laurence Fox is an odd one. His acting seems to have been a bit off i these two episodes. It doesn't help that he's one of the ugliest man ever to have appeared on my screen.

I like Angela Griffin.

I think my College is featured this Friday.

I hate it being spread over two weeks.
  • Options
    SleepPixieSleepPixie Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    I'm a bit confused....I could nearly swear to having watched an episode of Lewis a year or two ago, in which Helen Robson the pathologist was murdered. Lewis was investigating a number of murders and it was the same killer who coshed Dr. Robson on the back of the head.

Have also seen an interview on Bradley Walsh's Crime Thriller programme a couple of weeks ago where the actress who plays Dr. Robson, Claire Holman, said she had worked on the Lewis series up until 2012.

I could be mistaken...but it is a tad confusing to know if this is really a new series or a repeat of an old one :confused:
  • Options
    bilsheenebilsheene Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    SleepPixie wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused....I could nearly swear to having watched an episode of Lewis a year or two ago, in which Helen Robson the pathologist was murdered. Lewis was investigating a number of murders and it was the same killer who coshed Dr. Robson on the back of the head.

Have also seen an interview on Bradley Walsh's Crime Thriller programme a couple of weeks ago where the actress who plays Dr. Robson, Claire Holman, said she had worked on the Lewis series up until 2012.

I could be mistaken...but it is a tad confusing to know if this is really a new series or a repeat of an old one :confused:

Clare Holman plays Dr. Laura Hobson.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did this series get many trailers ? I only caught the first part by accident, thought it was a repeat and then discovered it was a new series. Strange for a programme that used to be so popular ? Then I only just remembered to go back and look for the second part last night. They're not doing a great job of promoting the programme.

I thought it was good. Quite slow paced as usual, but beautifully acted and well put together. A quality production. But I would much sooner it was complete over two hours, or 90 minutes on catch-up.