Options

GUS acronym

comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did we find out what G U S stood for?

I can't help but thing the G stands for Gallifrey and the S for System (or maybe security)

Unilateral
Universal
Upload

Could be like the Silence in the library

An upload system to save people /soldiers

But I think if the soldier was from Gallifrey the scroll would be in a language The Doctor understood.

Any thoughts or reading too much into it?

Comments

• Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generated Universal Soldiers ??
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I said in another thread it's a follow on from Listen

Guy Under Sleeping-Thing
    :D
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said in another thread it's a follow on from Listen

Guy Under Sleeping-Thing
    :D

Guy Under Sheet ?
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    comedyfish wrote: »
    But I think if the soldier was from Gallifrey the scroll would be in a language The Doctor understood.

Any thoughts or reading too much into it?

Assuming GUS was telling the truth (about the little that he did let on), it suggests that he truly didn't know what the soldier was or how to use it, so they're probably not of the same origin.
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope it is a reference to Gazpacho Soup, but I'm struggling to see what the "U" could be.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    It stands for

Give
    US
    a
    break

Generic
    Unseen
    Something

or

Generally
    Unusual
    Sounding

or

Gallifreyan
    Umbrella
    Supplies

or

God
    Uses
    Snuff

or

G
    Ue
    Ss
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    I hope it is a reference to Gazpacho Soup, but I'm struggling to see what the "U" could be.

Uncool - cos it's Rimmer's
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Missy just likes her underlings to have three letter names.

We met Seb in The Caretaker and now Gus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »

If "Seb" is short for Sebastian, it means "revered"

Gus could be short for one of the variations of "Augustus" - meaning Majestic.

Note - as a name in it's own right, "Gus" is American in origin

Also, whilst it's easy to see that GUS may be an acronym cos we didn't see a person, it's possible that "Seb" was not actually "flesh and blood" and SEB may also be a TLA. (And if it is, I bags "Somewhat Effeminate Boy"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also, whilst it's easy to see that GUS may be an acronym cos we didn't see a person, it's possible that "Seb" was not actually "flesh and blood" and SEB may also be a TLA. (And if it is, I bags "Somewhat Effeminate Boy"

How about Angus?
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's an homage to HAL or MCP in a giving your mad computer a three letter name kind of way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gus Sub Missy is an anagram of Bugs Is Messy. QED.
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    How about Angus?

Angus Ma'Coatup?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How about...

Just war theory (jus bellum iustum) is a doctrine, also referred to as a tradition, of military ethics studied by theologians, ethicists, policy makers and military leaders. The purpose of the doctrine is to ensure war is morally justifiable through a series of criteria, all of which must be met for a war to be considered just. The criteria are split into two groups: "the right to go to war’' (jus ad bellum) and ‘'right conduct in war’' (jus in bello). The first concerns the morality of going to war and the second with moral conduct within war.[1] Recently there have been calls for the inclusion of a third category of just war theory - jus post bellum - dealing with the morality of post-war settlement and reconstruction.

Just War theory postulates that war, while very terrible, is not always the worst option. There may be responsibilities so important, atrocities which can be prevented or outcomes so undesirable they justify war.
    - from an article about Saint Augustine

...an early Christian saint and martyr. He was killed during the Roman emperor Diocletian's persecution of Christians. He is commonly depicted in art and literature tied to a post or tree and shot with arrows. Despite this being the most common artistic depiction of Sebastian, he was, according to legend, rescued and healed by Irene of Rome. - from an article describing Saint Sebastian
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    From Wikipedia (so obviously correct): Gus is a masculine name, or diminutive for Angus, August, Augustine, or Augustus, and other names (e.g. Ghassan, Gustav, Gustave, Gustavo, Aengus).

Augustine and Augustus seem a bit 'ancient Rome' to me . . a bit like the 12th Doctor's face. Indeed, Augustus was the founder of the Roman Empire and its first Emperor, ruling from 27 BC until his death in 14 AD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    Augustine and Augustus seem a bit 'ancient Rome' to me . . a bit like the 12th Doctor's face.

And Angus is a bit Scottish like the 12th Doctor's accent :p
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My take was simple, GUS was a faily simple acronym, it stood for:

"Do as ve say clever people or ve shall kill the innocents and you as vell"

However, open to other suggestions.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    How about Angus?

Angus Deayton who looks like Patrick from One Foot In The Grave who lives next door to Victor who looks like Dr. Constantine from The Doctor Dances and The Empty Child in which of course the line "Are You My Mummy" was repeated over and over again and was also said by The Doctor in Mummy on the Orient Express
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    comedyfish wrote: »

Are we sure he didn't? The question is: Why didn't the TARDIS' Translation Matrix work on it? As far as I know, the only language it doesn't translate is Gallifreyan...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are we sure he didn't? The question is: Why didn't the TARDIS' Translation Matrix work on it? As far as I know, the only language it doesn't translate is Gallifreyan...
    I didn't get a good look at it - did it definitely have writing on it, or just symbols? If it was a flag, then it might not 'mean' anything at all, linguistically.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And the language from "The Impossible Planet";-)
    But the scroll language looked like cuniform to me - letters made with a reed pushed into wet clay, whilst the Impossible Planet language was more squiggly like it was painted with a brush.

As for GUS - maybe General Universal Simulation?
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »

If "Seb" is short for Sebastian, it means "revered"

I didn't realise I was in The Caretaker... :D
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    It also can't translate languages that somehow existed before time, as seen in the impossible planet.