Options

"Lorraine" interrupted by building evacuation.

jiroosjiroos Posts: 15,212
Forum Member
✭✭
Awkward moment this morning when Lorraine was about to read out some tributes to Lynda Bellingham live on her show when a tannoy announcement boomed advising a building evacuation.

Lorraine gallantly tried to move on to an interview with The X-Factor's latest evictee Stephanie Nala before finally conceeding that they would have to evacuate.

We are currently being "treated" to a National Trust film presented by Michael Buerk!!!

That's live television for ya!

Comments

• Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    This national trust pogramme is much better, can we have it instead of Kyle as well? :)
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Oh :( they just stopped that programme mid flow, I was enjoying that.
  • Options
    jiroosjiroos Posts: 15,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been announced that Lorraine has literally left the building and will not be back till tomorrow!!!:D:D:D
  • Options
    danny_gamerdanny_gamer Posts: 3,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame that this braindead drivel hasn't been taken off air permanently.
  • Options
    5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No doubt a contractor opened a fire door or cut the wrong wire :rolleyes:
  • Options
    5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame that this braindead drivel hasn't been taken off air permanently.

Housewives and the unemployed need something to stimulate them though
  • Options
    davidnumendavidnumen Posts: 1,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typical Lorraine - 30 years broadcasting and she's hopeless if she's not being told what to say.

When these alarms go off you're not meant to stop and think about it possibly being a mistake - you get up and go out the building. Sitting trying to keep the show going was incredibly irresponsible and an incredibly bad example.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Lynda Bellingham passed away ?
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Has Lynda Bellingham passed away ?

Yes, it was announced this morning that she'd passed away yesterday in her husband's arms. Lorraine was just about to talk about the tributes that had been coming in for her when the alarm went off.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jiroos wrote: »
    Just been announced that Lorraine has literally left the building and will not be back till tomorrow!!!:D:D:D

Knowing how often ITV show repeats........ any chance they could repeat the alarm every day for the next 10 years??????
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidnumen wrote: »
    Typical Lorraine - 30 years broadcasting and she's hopeless if she's not being told what to say.

When these alarms go off you're not meant to stop and think about it possibly being a mistake - you get up and go out the building. Sitting trying to keep the show going was incredibly irresponsible and an incredibly bad example.
    Leave her alone I think Lorraine did brilliant trying to keep going the difference between an office fire alarm and a TV studio is that you dont have an audience watching you
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything that takes Lorraine off air is fine by me.
    Dreadful show.
  • Options
    MONIFIETHBOYMONIFIETHBOY Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    MONIFIETHBOYMONIFIETHBOY Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    davidnumendavidnumen Posts: 1,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Leave her alone I think Lorraine did brilliant trying to keep going the difference between an office fire alarm and a TV studio is that you dont have an audience watching you

The end result was the same though, wasn't it? She HAD to evacuate the building - the only reason she didn't just get up and go out would have been because some producer would have been telling her via the earpiece to keep things going. Two faults - hers for being unable to think for herself (could you imagine if it'd been a real emergency like a bomb about to go off?) and the producer for not just cueing something else up to watch and getting everyone the hell out.

And for someone who has 30 years experience her handling was pathetic, no other word.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not only did Lorianne seem unnerved, also the young lass from X Factor, seemed to take it in her stride
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite well handled I thought. Lorraine was a pro, and the X Factor girl seemed sweet.

In other X-Factor news, Gathan (a loser from a few years back) served me in a mobile phone shop at lunchtime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite well handled I thought. Lorraine was a pro, and the X Factor girl seemed sweet.

In other X-Factor news, Gathan (a loser from a few years back) served me in a mobile phone shop at lunchtime.

That shows that the only way is up (the job centre) once your evicted for the x factor
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably the most exciting thing that has happened on the programme for years.
  • Options
    ukcarterukcarter Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    davidnumen wrote: »

Absolutely right. If anybody is in doubt of the fact that seconds count they only need watch the footage of the Bradford City FC fire. If necessary, they should have a standard announcement cued-up and linked to the alarm. Hopefully if that was a fire drill there will be some clear feedback to those in charge.
  • Options
    keightley80keightley80 Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    who is gathan
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ukcarter wrote: »
    Absolutely right. If anybody is in doubt of the fact that seconds count they only need watch the footage of the Bradford City FC fire. If necessary, they should have a standard announcement cued-up and linked to the alarm. Hopefully if that was a fire drill there will be some clear feedback to those in charge.

Absolutely, it is not up to the presenter to decide whether the programme should continue as she clearly had no idea what was happening. I assume there would be a debrief and she would be told that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Absolutely, it is not up to the presenter to decide whether the programme should continue as she clearly had no idea what was happening. I assume there would be a debrief and she would be told that.

In a lot of places, an intermittent alarm signals a test run or to prepare for evacuation, regardless of what the voice may be saying. Lorraine was clearly being spoken to and told to continue whilst they had confirmation of whether they needed to go or not. There are numerous examples of fire alarms going off on live TV, some not evacuating.

In a workplace, you'd generally be expected to wait for management or a Fire Marshall to give the go ahead on whether you need to evacuate, and you're right to say Lorraine shouldn't decide whether or not the show continues. ITV were happy to briefly keep it on air, otherwise they would've just crashed out to the breakdown screen rather than keep the show on air, I genuinely don't understand why Lorraine herself is getting so much stick for this. Notice Nadia Sawalha in the background, why wasnt she leaving the building? Was she not leaving until her cooking had been shown? Why isn't she getting slated for not doing so? What about the camera men who stayed to film Lorraine?

Just in a side note, it's quite funny how the alarm went off just as they were about to start tributes to Lynda. Lynda would've found it hilarious, she was very mischievous, and in some ways could be seen as a better tribute than they could've imagined.
  • Options
    g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5hane wrote: »
    Housewives and the unemployed need something to stimulate them though

Change the show to "Kate" and have Kate Garraway present it.

I can't see whey Lorraine Kelly is so popular! You need subtitles to watch her in the morning!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    Change the show to "Kate" and have Kate Garraway present it.

I can't see whey Lorraine Kelly is so popular! You need subtitles to watch her in the morning!

So basically your saying you dont understand Scottish people. Lorraine is actually really understandable compared to some of us Scottish people