BRIT Awards to make amends with ADELE tomorrow!

flyonthetableflyonthetable Posts: 170
Forum Member
Brit awards chairman: we wronged Adele and will make amends this year

David Joseph says singer's speech should never have been cut and hints of planned surprise during his last ceremony at helm
When Adele gave her spine-tingling performance of her ballad Someone Like You at the Brits in 2011 a small miracle happened – the boisterous music industry for once fell silent, and listened. Last year the singer again provided the most talked about moment of the evening by giving a frustrated one-fingered gesture to presenter James Corden after he cut off her acceptance speech for best album. But at the Brits on Wednesday, the singer, who has dominated the UK and US charts since 2011 despite releasing only the single Skyfall last year, may finally get her moment to thank her fans.

In an interview with the Guardian ahead of the awards, Universal UK CEO and current Brits chairman David Joseph said there would be no repeat of the speech-cutting controversy.

"How can you take an artist who has made the biggest cultural impact musically this country has seen globally for some time and cut her off in the middle of her speech?" he said. "I very much to this day question what was happening in that control booth. I can hint that something is going to happen this year to rewrite that wrong."

Joseph added that he had told ITV they should run into a commercial break if a similar situation arose this year. "I think Adele was totally justified expressing how she felt. It was a very big moment for her, but I'd stay tuned to this year's show to see if there is any form of squaring of that circle."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/feb/19/brit-awards-adele-david-joseph

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is she gonna win Best Single? For Skyfall?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But she won't be there...
  • modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adele is very low key. I doubt she'll want a fuss made of her or shoved into the spotlight for this "surprise". Unless she's winning an award of course...
  • susanne fansusanne fan Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Brits Global success?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Brits Global success?

THIS!

Though i think that's mainly why 1D are there cos they won't win Best Group so will win that...
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boring, as usual Queen Adele takes presidence.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The article is wrong in a way. She never stuck her finger up at James Corden. She stuck it up to the producers.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Boring, as usual Queen Adele takes presidence.

This!

And the Global Success award is blatantly a "for one year only" award dreamt up for either Adele or Wand Erection to win:yawn:
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sod making amends she stook her middle finger up on tv the sour cow.
  • susanne fansusanne fan Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This!

And the Global Success award is blatantly a "for one year only" award dreamt up for either Adele or Wand Erection to win:yawn:

Like the best selling live act called Steps award.
  • robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she didnt stick her finger up at James!! which the guy says she did in the article
  • pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    The "for this year only" global success award is for the British act who has sold the most internationally in the past year. I'm sure everyone in the universe knows who that is! That's why I can't take the Brits seriously. They just invent awards willy-nilly.
    Though i think that's mainly why 1D are there cos they won't win Best Group so will win that...

1D are there as performers. Not all performers win on the night... I'm pretty sure the award was invented for Adele to make up for last year, but she won't be there anyway which makes it seem rather pointless. She may also win best single, now it's no longer fan-voted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrubber wrote: »
    Sod making amends she stook her middle finger up on tv the sour cow.

To the 'suits' if I remember correctly..she had every right to be annoyed...blur and one direction were allowed a 10hr speech and Adele (biggest star in the world right now) was only allowed a 2second speech, What a joke last yrs show was.