Options

Xbox One: Advice for Newbies

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Ok, another question!!!

Last night, I wanted to play Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition and have Internet Explorer Snapped on the right had side (I have finished the game but wanted to follow a online guide to find all the collectibles in the game) but just could not find a way to do this!? :confused:

I was randomly pressing buttons until I accidentally discovered how to do this (think I double tapped the guide button and it came up with a snapped menu of all the apps I could snap - Internet Explorer being one of them).

This was all good as I could then read the guide on the collectibles (in the snapped app on the right) whilst at the same time playing the game (in the main screen) however, it was then that I hit a stumbling block! I just could not figure out how to switch between the snapped app and the main game??

There should be a one button press where you can switch between the main game playing and the snapped app however, the only way I could switch was by double tapping the guide button and selecting the snapped app. Then, when I wanted to switch back to the main game, I would again, have to double tap the guide button and select the game from the menu - thats a total of 6 button presses just to switch from the main game to Internet Explorer in Snapped mode and then back to the game again???

Surely there's an easier way to accomplish this?!

:confused:
  • Options
    deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that I have found. It is easier to move between snapped screens now then it was originally.
    What you have to remember is the Xbox 1 was designed for voice control to be used with the Kenect so switching screens etc was just a command away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not that I have found. It is easier to move between snapped screens now then it was originally.
    What you have to remember is the Xbox 1 was designed for voice control to be used with the Kenect so switching screens etc was just a command away.

..ok, cheers for clarifying deadmancarl - sounds like this is indeed the only way to switch between these!

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi, me again with a question about streaming from the Twitch app on Xbox One.

When I snap Twitch and am playing a game, when choosing the 'Start Broadcast' option from the Twitch app, after it gives me the best speed to use to stream with, after a while, I get an error message saying that I have low bandwidth on Twitch???

I checked within the the Settings app on the Xbox One and when going into the 'Detailed Network Details' I get the following information:

Download : 84 Mbps
    Upload: 6mbs
    Latency: 160 Ms

My Xbox is connected to a Powerline AV500 adaptor which goes through the plug socket and then at the other end, the other Powerline Adapto obviously connects to my router. These adapters say they are good for 'up to 500mbs of HD streaming' so why am I getting a low bandwidth error when trying to stream my gameplay via the Twitch app??:confused:

Do I need a higher 'Upload' speed ( I have a Virgin Media 'up to 100mb connection)?
  • Options
    NewGamesOfTodayNewGamesOfToday Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    deans6571 wrote: »
    Hi, me again with a question about streaming from the Twitch app on Xbox One.

When I snap Twitch and am playing a game, when choosing the 'Start Broadcast' option from the Twitch app, after it gives me the best speed to use to stream with, after a while, I get an error message saying that I have low bandwidth on Twitch???

I checked within the the Settings app on the Xbox One and when going into the 'Detailed Network Details' I get the following information:

Download : 84 Mbps
    Upload: 6mbs
    Latency: 160 Ms

My Xbox is connected to a Powerline AV500 adaptor which goes through the plug socket and then at the other end, the other Powerline Adapto obviously connects to my router. These adapters say they are good for 'up to 500mbs of HD streaming' so why am I getting a low bandwidth error when trying to stream my gameplay via the Twitch app??:confused:

Do I need a higher 'Upload' speed ( I have a Virgin Media 'up to 100mb connection)?

I think alot of people get this error message, I get it alot and I just ignore it. Even though the error message shows up when I playback my stream using other devices the quality is fine. You could check your stream on your PC if it's worrying you but I think it's one of those things that happens within Twitch now and again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think alot of people get this error message, I get it alot and I just ignore it. Even though the error message shows up when I playback my stream using other devices the quality is fine. You could check your stream on your PC if it's worrying you but I think it's one of those things that happens within Twitch now and again.

...hmm, it seems that this actually happens quite a lot then.

I tried again last night to stream a game from my Xbox One. I chose the 'recommended' speed for streaming (it normally recommends a speed between 2000kbs to 2500kbs) but that was still throwing up an error message. Even choosing the 'high', 'medium' and 'low' speeds throws up the same error?! I'm sure that my upload speed of 6mb is adequate to stream Twitch!

At one point, I just ignored the error and it went away and at one point, I even had 1 follower watching (although I obviously did not know how good a quality my stream actually was), and I could see the 'Live' word in the snapped Twitch app so I knew it was in fact streaming.

The problem now though is this : when I later went to the 'past braodcasts' section, both on my Xbox One app and also on the Twitch website - none of my broadcasta are showing?? :confused: This is leading me to believe that I didn't actually manage to broadcast successfully at all :(:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    deans6571 wrote: »
    ...hmm, it seems that this actually happens quite a lot then.

I tried again last night to stream a game from my Xbox One. I chose the 'recommended' speed for streaming (it normally recommends a speed between 2000kbs to 2500kbs) but that was still throwing up an error message. Even choosing the 'high', 'medium' and 'low' speeds throws up the same error?! I'm sure that my upload speed of 6mb is adequate to stream Twitch!

At one point, I just ignored the error and it went away and at one point, I even had 1 follower watching (although I obviously did not know how good a quality my stream actually was), and I could see the 'Live' word in the snapped Twitch app so I knew it was in fact streaming.

The problem now though is this : when I later went to the 'past broadcasts' section, both on my Xbox One app and also on the Twitch website - none of my broadcasts are showing?? :confused: This is leading me to believe that I didn't actually manage to broadcast successfully at all :(:(

....just as update to my post above - I have posted my thread over on the Virgin Media forums and one of the tech guys there seems to think that it could actually be my upload speed of 6mb which is causing the issue. He seems to think that I would need a higher speed (upgrading to a higher tier).

Oh well :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thought I would post here again (I know its been a while!!) as the New Xbox Experience releases soon (out on the 10th) and I know, I'll once again have a flood of questions along the lines of, "...where's this gone and why have they done that?" type questions!!

For what its worth - I think the new Dashboard layout coming on the 10th looks pretty good.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    The new dashboard layout is pretty straight forward and once it launches you should get a couple of videos on the console to introduce you to the new UI.

Also it does not launch until the 12th.