Options

Why does my Springer Spaniel have terrible flatulance?

NicolaClareNicolaClare Posts: 489
Forum Member
One thing me and my family have noticed lately is how much our Springer is farting and I mean he STINKS! So I'm just wondering, is it natural in Spaniels or should I take him to see a vet just incase?:confused::confused:

Comments

• Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all dogs fart, how much and any associated odours usually depends on diet.
    has he had anything different lately?

if it's very bad or incredibly out of the ordinary, it might be worth asking a vet, but it's probably down to diet or sometimes medications
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm thinking of taking him, he has the same diet, eats the same everyday, but when he does it, he ususally empties a room and usually goes upstairs, he's a fully grown, but tiny spaniel!!
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    always worth asking profession advice if it's a bother :)

what does he get fed, if you don;t mind my asking?

we walk a labrador who is fed on eukanuba and can do the same thing as your dog some days, she seems to toot an awful lot!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We feed him Royal Canin, as my dad gets it from work, sometimes he has meat, then other times he has dry, we've tried charcoal and everything.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's either food or does he gulp his food down quickly ? If he does he could be swallowing amounts of air with it. You can get special bowls that stop them eating so fast reasonably cheaply may be worth a try.
  • Options
    RainboWelshRainboWelsh Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    try charcoal tablets as they are stronger than biscits as it will help with the tummy :) - its safe as i have used these on my parents dogs and after they use these they calm down in a sense! it would help if you try this for a long period of time so then tummy and body will get used to it

Rhian