Options

Puppy poo problem (apologies for TMI!)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all

My border collie puppy has had diarrhea for a week now. He had been for his jabs and I assumed it was down to that but when it persisted I started to become concerned and took him to the vet.

He is in no way out of character, off his food or unwell apart from the diarrhea. But it is quite unpleasant, frequent and very slimy/mucus covered - TMI I know.

I told the vet this and she checked him over, palpated his abdomen etc and suggested it could be due to a parasite. He was given an antibiotic injection and I have some prescription dog food and Synulox tablets for six days.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this? I didn't think an antibiotic would help with a parasite but didnt want to tell the vet how to do their job :o However this was Friday and I'm still not seeing any improvement in his soiling at all.

Do you think I should take him back?

Comments

• Options
    AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try him on chicken and rice, that normally does the trick.
    It could be a reaction to the jabs.

Vaccinations

One possible reaction to vaccinations is diarrhea. If your puppy develops diarrhea and/or vomiting after vaccination, chances are she is having an adverse reaction to the vaccine (this condition is called vaccinosis).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Parasites can cause inflammation which is what the antibiotic is for, to prevent or treat any infection.

You can go back to the vet if u are unhappy. Is the pup lethargic or ok in him self?
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No antibiotics won't help against a parasite, might be worth treating her with a course of Panacur (no prescription needed, just in case it's Giardia or similar).

Also, what food is he on? Mucous often suggests the lining of the intestines is in irritated and inflamed, so could be a dietary imbalance.
    Chappie is quite a good food for sensitive tummies, temporarily, whilst treatment is ongoing.

Hope he improves soon, all the best xx
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mollie became gluten intolerant just as she had her second vac at 14 weeks, we always wondered if it could be linked. But your symptoms sound just like she had.