Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »

Oh no, stunt casting, not a good sign.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should have held off casting the "alumni" for a while. Let the show get established first (assuming it does). Same with talk of tie-ups.

I hope it succeeds, especially as we need a decent female superhero show.
  • Options
    Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no, stunt casting, not a good sign.

Not stunt casting, "Legacy" casting. Expect more from all the DC series.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Not stunt casting, "Legacy" casting. Expect more from all the DC series.
    Very true The Flash has John Wesley Shipp as Barry's Dad and he played The Flash in the 90's show and it works
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helen Slater has also joined the cast aka the original Supergirl!

They've really got the ball rolling on this. Big things expected possibly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Harewood as well, so a Brit. Sounds like it might be similar to his Homeland role.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently they're starting to film this on Friday, so there may well be a costume reveal this week.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...So far, female superhero movies/series have sucked.
    Apart from Xena, Warrior Princess, right ?! :)
    wowboy wrote: »
    Is this show able to crossover into the arrow-verse. I hope it does.
    They're on different networks so I don't know if direct crossovers are even allowed (direct = characters appearing in the other show), but I would absolutely love them to be linked and we get subtle/little references to indicate they know the other exists (like how Arrow mentions Gotham City). And if the Supergirl show was affected by the future Arrow/Flash Flashpoint storyline/happening, well that'd be frikkin awesome. :o:D :cool:
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    zwixxx wrote: »

They're on different networks so I don't know if direct crossovers are even allowed (direct = characters appearing in the other show), but I would absolutely love them to be linked and we get subtle/little references to indicate they know the other exists (like how Arrow mentions Gotham City). And if the Supergirl show was affected by the future Arrow/Flash Flashpoint storyline/happening, well that'd be frikkin awesome. :o:D :cool:

While they are on diffrent networks the parent company is the same so crossovers can happen.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,310
    Forum Member
    Calista Flockhart? No thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While they are on diffrent networks the parent company is the same so crossovers can happen.
    Didn't know that so :woot:
    I thought it was like Marvel and how its characters are owned by different Movie Studios and crossovers were a nonotnownoteverNEVER thing. I can't wait to see how they link them. :)
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    They're on different networks so I don't know if direct crossovers are even allowed (direct = characters appearing in the other show), but I would absolutely love them to be linked and we get subtle/little references to indicate they know the other exists (like how Arrow mentions Gotham City).
    I can't wait to see how they link them.
    I know (I remember reading) that the writers/producers/directors have high hopes about the shows crossing over, regardless of the network (in therory, it may open up additional viewers for all three shows). I am curious how they'd cross over though, in the sense that how does Oliver Queen compare against the skills of a Kryptonian? Barry can probably beat her in a race, so at least he has something. :p

It'll be interesting for sure, and (having watched the crossovers between Flash and Arrow) I have every confidence in the team pulling it off. I just think they need to be careful when doing so. That's all. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    re: Ollie vs SuperGal - hopefully something other than a kryptonite studded arrow. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure we'll see the cinematic scenes between Batman and Superman before we see the scenes between Arrow and Supergirl, so maybe the feature film will give us some idea of the dynamic between the super powered and the techno powered?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just hoping the ptb don't just take the Batman / Superman dynamic and cut+paste it over Ollie and SuperGal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from Xena, Warrior Princess, right ?! :)

Hmm, not sure I regard that as a superhero show. But I suppose it can be deemed such. I never watched it in its entirety but did watch a fair number of episodes back in the day.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm hoping that they keep the back story of Kara arriving on Earth as a teen, and the struggle to adjust being reflected. If she's just another peppy US teen, it'll be a shame.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think Melissa Benoist looks pretty good as supergirl. http://deadline.com/2015/03/supergirl-first-look-melissa-benoist-costume-1201387599/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Doesn't look toooo bad, though I had expected the costume to be made of more similar-material to the cinematic Man of Steel / television Flash. Looks a bit too... fabric-y
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Not too bad. There just seems something slightly off to me but I'm not sure what it is though. It is definitely not the costume which is great, it is more the way she looks.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There just seems something slightly off to me but I'm not sure what it is though. It is definitely not the costume which is great, it is more the way she looks.

I have to agree. I just think it looks bland. She looks bland, the costume looks bland. i just can't see her as Supergirl. She looks just too much like the girl next door type and not SUPERgirl if you get what i mean.

I can't rate her acting ability as i've only seen her in Whiplash where she appeared on screen for around 15mins and was fine, but didn't stand out. For me this is exactly the same, she doesn't stand out.

Disappointing.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well she looks super to me and the costume looks good. :) But I won't make anymore prejudgements on it yet, will give it a watch before making my mind up.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I have to agree. I just think it looks bland. She looks bland, the costume looks bland. i just can't see her as Supergirl. She looks just too much like the girl next door type and not SUPERgirl if you get what i mean.

I can't rate her acting ability as i've only seen her in Whiplash where she appeared on screen for around 15mins and was fine, but didn't stand out. For me this is exactly the same, she doesn't stand out.

Disappointing.
    I liked her in Glee, but she didn't stand out as you say. I'm worried she won't come across as 'Super' but more girl next door who just happens to be strong and fast.

I would like a slightly brighter red in the costume.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I have to agree. I just think it looks bland. She looks bland, the costume looks bland....Disappointing.
    as stern too :(

Don't follow the Supergirl comic but the deadline comic picture kinda implies joy, light, fun, positive, goodwill to all and fluffy bunnies etc etc while the series preview gives none of that along with her just hearing her dog died.