Options

The 100 - E4 - UK Pace - NO SPOILERS (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batch wrote: »
    Well, I guess Clarke and Raven won't be exchanging Christmas cards any time soon.

The end of Finn was indeed a bit obvious, but I have to say I did half expect them to cop out of it right up until they didn't.

As soon as raven handed Clarke the knife there was only one thing gonna happen and it certainly wasn't gonna be Clarke killing their leader because that would have led to Clarke dying which obviously wasn't happening. Raven will eventually realise Clarke was saving Finn from so much pain considering how the grounders were planning on killing him.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Raven will eventually realise Clarke was saving Finn from so much pain considering how the grounders were planning on killing him.

She'll find someway to blame Murphy though
  • Options
    Terry.RTerry.R Posts: 1,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now we're going to get a few weeks of Raven whining. >:(
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    One good thing about Finn being dead is that I won't be confused between him and Bellamy any more

So it's not just me who gets them confused!
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the name of the actor who played Finn? No way is he 17, more like 23 I would say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just discovered that 'Clarke' is 25 & Australian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is the name of the actor who played Finn? No way is he 17, more like 23 I would say.

'Found him', Thomas McDonell - age 28, no wonder it's difficult to envisage him as someone aged 17/18.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you'll find that rarely do American shows have age appropriate actors playing teens.
  • Options
    Colino GreenColino Green Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Found him', Thomas McDonell - age 28, no wonder it's difficult to envisage him as someone aged 17/18.

American TV and film casting has always been like this. Remember at the start of Buffy in the late 1990's, Xander started as a 27 year old 'teenager' I believe.

Wasn't Michael J. Fox a 29 year old teenager when Back to the future was released?
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Natarhi wrote: »
    I think it was wrong of Raven to try and sacrifice Murphy for Finn (and stupid, the grounders knew full well it was Finn so they wouldn't have accepted Murphy) but I don't think Murphy has done enough to atone for his series 1 behaviour yet, so I don't think the rest of them should be trusting him completely either.
    I though it was wrong of Raven, but I still loved that she did it. It gives her more of an inner life, and a harder edge, and makes her a better character. And I don't mind that it was stupid, because it was well-motivated and she was desperate.

I totally agree about not trusting Murphy. When he returned, he was all nicey-nice, and then he killed those two guys because they were helpless and he knew he could get away with it. He'd probably have killed Raven, too, had she not been alert. Raven didn't tell on him, but she didn't forget, either. He's been pretty good since, but he's still liable to murder anyone he has a grudge against any time no-one's watching.
    Finn was also killed off as a plot device: no way would Finn have changed so quickly from his pacifist stance in season 1.
    I disagree. We're seeing post-traumatic stress disorder. War changes people, sometimes quickly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eliza Taylor (Clarke) 25
    Thomas McDonnell (Finn) 28
    Bob Morley (Bellamy) 30 and like Eliza Taylor an Australian
    Marie Avgeropoulos (Octavia) 29 and Canadian
    Lindsey Morgan (Raven) 25
    Devon Bostick (Jasper) 23 and Canadian
    Christopher Larkin (Monty) 27 and South Korean by birth
    Richard Harmon (Murphy) 23 and Canadian
    Eve Harlow (Maya) 25

A lot of the overall cast are Canadian but that has something to do with the show being filmed in Canada. There's a rule that any foreign film or tv show mostly filmed in Canada has to have a certain % of Canadians working on the production (both in front of and behind the camera)
  • Options
    tichtichtichtich Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Natarhi wrote: »
    Have to say the science in this show is starting to drive me a bit batty, even with reasonable suspension of disbelief.
    I've adopted a policy of unreasonable suspension of disbelief. ;-) I think it was the business with the radiation that finally drove me to it.
  • Options
    tichtichtichtich Posts: 1,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me, or does Lexa not seem tough enough to be leader of the Grounders? I thought Anya was more convincing, and I was a bit disappointed they killed her off.
  • Options
    NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tichtich wrote: »
    I've adopted a policy of unreasonable suspension of disbelief. ;-) I think it was the business with the radiation that finally drove me to it.
    Lol! :D:D That's probably for the best, I'll give it a try. ;-)
    Is it just me, or does Lexa not seem tough enough to be leader of the Grounders? I thought Anya was more convincing, and I was a bit disappointed they killed her off.
    She is seeming a little wishy-washy at the moment, but maybe we will see a tougher side to her. It seems like she got the position by default (from being Anya's second) so possibly the leadership will change at some point or she'll be made to prove herself.
  • Options
    Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

For all we know though, those on the ark could have undergone massive genetic engineering for the radiation resistance. Don't most space stations grow specfic algae that help a body expel radiation, too?

Grounders and their immunity is a longer shot, I admit. Even if you assume some people had minor resistance to radiation (thus breeding, passing it on and on and on...), would it have been enough to survive initial high radiation levels...? Probably not. BUT if you listen to certain native tribes in America (hopi?) they talk of their ancestors seeking refuge in caves, which would have provided protection. And American continent is absolutely riddled with underground networks of caves. Perhaps they sought deep cave shelter? Perhaps some even had bunkers. The area they're in in real life would have all the deep bunkers for politicians/families/elite. For all we know, the grounders were underground and returned to the surface mere decades ago. One thing you have to ask though...was the radiation THAT bad? Were there safe spots? Have the mountain men done something stupid to themselves to make them extra weak to radiation...? (Other than super weak immune systems from no sunlight, cheap preservable food and presumably...inbreeding).

One thing most need to accept about this show; it's one of those shows that does NOT go into the minor details that may patch certain holes, it probably never will. If you can plug a hole with a real world explanation seaweed; plenty of natural substances with strooooooong antibiotic properties in the real world. A radiation caused mutated seaweed with such properties? Perfectly plausible. Remember the eel? I want more mutated wildlife...
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me, or does Lexa not seem tough enough to be leader of the Grounders?

Yeah, I noticed that when she was first shown in the prison cell with Kane and The Chancellor she looked really weedy with arms like matchsticks and not at all like a leader of a tribe of warriors.
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I noticed that when she was first shown in the prison cell with Kane and The Chancellor she looked really weedy with arms like matchsticks and not at all like a leader of a tribe of warriors.

She looks like a young Keeley hawes
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just discovered that 'Clarke' is 25 & Australian.

After thinking 'helloooo', i looked her up after the second episode of season one and found that out. I'm that sad :D

Anyway, I loved last week's episode. One of those 'heavy' endings with Finn's death. That's why I like the show at the moment, they actually follow through with storylines like this and we don't get some convoluted plot device to save someone at the last minute.
  • Options
    margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After thinking 'helloooo', i looked her up after the second episode of season one and found that out. I'm that sad :D

Anyway, I loved last week's episode. One of those 'heavy' endings with Finn's death. That's why I like the show at the moment, they actually follow through with storylines like this and we don't get some convoluted plot device to save someone at the last minute.

His death was a plot device to start with. Jason Rothenberg decided to kill him in order to make Clarke a cold hearted 'leader'. He also has said he wants to move things along at a fast pace. Hence the unbelievability of Finn changing from pacifist to killer. Mr Rothenberg didn't like the negativity of fans towards Finn after trashing his character. He didn't like that negativity so said he hoped that attitude would change after Spacewalker.

After making him a killer they arbitrarily changed him back to hero. Throughout season 1 he did the spacewalk. When he and Raven were talking in the tent as she cut his hair she made it pretty clear he had done the walk. Then he didn't kill the grounder who attacked him and Clarke although it would have been self defence and justified. Human beings don't change like that: if he psychologically broke it would take months of treatment to heal his mind.

In Remember me his ghost is now helping Clarke save Raven and helps her to light his funeral pyre. All this is a ridiculous attempt to reinstate a character after destroying it.

Everything in this show is a plot device. Hence I liken this show to a video game where you can randomly select what a character will do. Each character in TWD has a defined personality. On this show this is not the case as each one will just act in a way to move the plot forward. This is all about death, torture and explosions. The fans just want their characters to be badass killers and as usual on cw their are the various shaping wars which are a deliberate ploy to stir up the fans. Anything is better than indifference.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In Remember me his ghost is now helping Clarke save Raven and helps her to light his funeral pyre. All this is a ridiculous attempt to reinstate a character after destroying it

I haven't watched this weeks episode yet, so thanks for that.
    I'm just teasing :)

You make some fair points though, especially about him seemingly being psychologically broken one minute then perfectly fine the next.

But then I certainly appreciate that the show isn't really one full of depth and subtle character development and nuances though. I like it for what it is and, as I said, for the fact that they at least follow through with some of the storylines.

Regarding Finn though ..
    My sister told me that she's been reading some rumours online that they'll actually be bringing the actor back as a "twin" who just happens to be a grounder. I really hope they don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So Clarke can now see Finn's ghost??

"Only you can see me Jeff"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    So Clarke can now see Finn's ghost??

"Only you can see me Jeff"

The references are getting older and older...

The adults seem to give up control fairly quickly to Clarke and the Toy Soldiers.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rotten sods, they locked up that poor monkey without any bananas :(

Bellamy and Lincoln, great plan one tiny flaw, one the one hand a partial success, but on the other, not one that's easy to build on :p

I did like this episode, a bit hammy on the leadership pep-talk though. And I think Octavia will be made to regret her decision though - both sides will be trying to take advantage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [looks through thread] Where was that Planet of the Apes reference...?

It's gotten quite graphic from how it started out. When Bird first turned around I though it looked more like a rip than a chop and I remembered I'd heard there was a gorilla knocking about.

And Lincoln. Once an addict...
  • Options
    NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's gotten quite graphic from how it started out. When Bird first turned around I though it looked more like a rip than a chop and I remembered I'd heard there was a gorilla knocking about.
    Although why/how the gorilla would rip off one arm and leave no other mark on her is a mystery. Also she could have gone for a slightly less enigmatic choice of last words, something like "crazy gorilla, run" instead of just "save yourself" :p
    Have to say I wasn't expecting her to die though, I thought she would be kept around to object to the alliance/cause trouble.
    And Lincoln. Once an addict...
    I was so disappointed in Lincon. Given that the plan was for him to grab the Red and run off with it (thus causing a distraction) he could have quite easily done that part and then just injected himself with it when he got round the corner. He would have still gotten his hit and he wouldn't have been selling out Bellamy (and by extension all the grounders/sky people).